Poll: Will the USA ever be competitive internationally in soccer?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

United States fate in World football\soccer

A friend of mine and myself (him being Guatemalan and myself being American) started talking during the USA v Guatemala game about World cups, and I'm of the opinion that the USA will eventually be at least competitive in international play reasons being:

-Soccer is catching on in America, here recently is the most I can ever recall Soccer being on TV in the US
    -We beat Italy for the first time ever
    -I feel as if America is trying to assimilate to other countries more recently, and we're starting to be less "American way or gtfo"

He however thinks the USA will never be even decent at soccer, and that winning against Italy was pure luck.

So, what do you think, will USA will ever be competitive in world play, or perhaps even win a world cup?
    Last edited by Sir NackDoe; 2012-11-05 at 07:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not until soccer is popular at the college level. People seem to stop playing when they leave high school.

We made the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 02 so I'm not sure how bad you can really consider us. Just because we don't completely dominate the sport doesn't mean we aren't competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    We made the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 02 so I'm not sure how bad you can really consider us. Just because we don't completely dominate the sport doesn't mean we aren't competitive.
    Well...I mean...Maybe competitive was a poor choice of words...I guess threat? Would be better..IDK I just mean i feel like you'd never hear the statement "Oh no, we play the Americans" come out of a Soccer team's mouth, ya know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Not until soccer is popular at the college level. People seem to stop playing when they leave high school.
    I'm not sure how much I agree with this. On the one hand, a decent college system gives kids an incentive to pursue football, however in most other countries a college system doesn't matter. Competitive college sport is a very American institution, but I think it might be more suited to American sports. In most countries kids are signed up by 16 or 17, it could be the case that if American high school football improves sufficiently America could benefit by having its young stars move to top level European clubs at a young age. I'm not sure how interested Manchester United would be in a 21 year old who has only been playing at college level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    I'm not sure how much I agree with this. On the one hand, a decent college system gives kids an incentive to pursue football, however in most other countries a college system doesn't matter. Competitive college sport is a very American institution, but I think it might be more suited to American sports. In most countries kids are signed up by 16 or 17, it could be the case that if American high school football improves sufficiently America could benefit by having its young stars move to top level European clubs at a young age. I'm not sure how interested Manchester United would be in a 21 year old who has only been playing at college level.
    Well, the idea being that kids who have been playing their whole lives would go on to play in college and get recognition for it. I'm sure a lot of players now give up on it after high school since there's no where else to go unless you're really, really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the US will ever win a world cup. The level of competition in football is insane. Even countries at the top of their game like Spain and Brazil can be beaten by teams like Holland, Germany, etc. It is extremely hard to get to such a level that you can compete with the best. A very healthy and highly competitive national football league is usually a good start and the US is very far from having that (not saying that it is impossible without but then your players need to have experience from playing in such a high level league). You can only get so far as the underdog in a world cup. The problem in the US is that football will never be your number one sport - there's too much competition from other sports. Compare that to Brazil, Spain, Holland, Germany, England, etc. The number one sport in those countries is Football, by a landslide.

I kind of like the USA in football, thry try to attack and play football but I don't see them winning a WC anytime soon. They are still just a decent team by European standards as far as I'm concerned, by that I mean they are not top tier. They are good enough to cause an upset against better teams when they play really well though and they got a few skilled players that can win games.

2010 in South Africa I think they lacked a solid striker, they created quite a lot of chances if I remember correctly but couldn't put it away.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    American's don't seem to take the sport seriously which I'v never understood considering it's the biggest sport in the world. They will need to do a huge over-all with the sport to make it popular, starting at kids level through to the MLS they need to shrug off the weird tag it currently as in America.

America can already compete. Not for the first prize though but they can give top teams a really bad day.

And the fact that they pretty much have a guaranteed spot in the world cup isn't too bad neither.

It's easier to find talent in a population of 300mil(USA) than a population of 50mil(England)

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I don't think the US will ever win a world cup. The level of competition in football is insane. Even countries at the top of their game like Spain and Brazil can be beaten by teams like Holland, Germany, etc. It is extremely hard to get to such a level that you can compete with the best. A very healthy and highly competitive national football league is usually a good start and the US is very far from having that (not saying that it is impossible without but then your players need to have experience from playing in such a high level league). You can only get so far as the underdog in a world cup. The problem in the US is that football will never be your number one sport - there's too much competition from other sports. Compare that to Brazil, Spain, Holland, Germany, England, etc. The number one sport in those countries is Football, by a landslide.
    Oh, I don't really agree with that. The US has had a decent level of success in the past, they just haven't had a decent crop of quality players for a little while. The MLS is picking up steam in the States and will continue to expand. Additionally, many of the U19-23 leagues (which is where a lot of the former US stars came from) are showing some talent coming in. The largest issue with American sports is that many kids wind up leaving various sports around the age of 13 now. There's a general consensus that if you don't make the top tier teams in your area, then it's not worth it. Many towns are beginning to see this as an epidemic and are taking steps to develop more children in sports who are interested.

As our population grows and diversifies, you'll see a more competitive US Men's National Team, although I could see that taking a decade or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    Oh, I don't really agree with that. The US has had a decent level of success in the past, they just haven't had a decent crop of quality players for a little while. The MLS is picking up steam in the States and will continue to expand. Additionally, many of the U19-23 leagues (which is where a lot of the former US stars came from) are showing some talent coming in. The largest issue with American sports is that many kids wind up leaving various sports around the age of 13 now. There's a general consensus that if you don't make the top tier teams in your area, then it's not worth it. Many towns are beginning to see this as an epidemic and are taking steps to develop more children in sports who are interested.

As our population grows and diversifies, you'll see a more competitive US Men's National Team, although I could see that taking a decade or two.
    I agree with decent level of success, and that will continue, but winning the World cup requires more than that. And even though the US has 300 million inhabitants and thus more choice to select players from, the main problem is, and always will be, that Football is not US number one sport. Also the MLS is not quite the same quality as say Italian, Spanish, German or English league where most of the top players play. US has talent, and has proven they can compete on an international level but winning it? I don't see it happen. Though it would be lovely to see another contender for the title. The insane competition during the World Cup is what makes it for me, the most exciting sport event. Granted I'm Dutch and as such brainwashed to love football since the age of 2.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they'll stay around a top 15 team, but not really sure they'll ever be able to win unless they start getting their players into other leagues in a bigger wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Its already becoming more popular in the college scene. ESPN is already carrying some games in their NCAA sports line-up.

OP if the fan base continues to grow and more people start embracing the sport the US can become competitive. Remember fans are the lifeline of sports stars, people always like to get praises for their athletic abilities and this encourages them to become better and better. So, give it time and it might just take off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you've the culture in America for it to be pushed as far as it could be. It's not a constant action sport, nor is it tv commercial friendly, so the shine will be taken off it for a good number of young aspiring athletes who'll look towards other sports instead at the professional level.

That said, I don't think it's beyond America to develop an excellent national team within the next 30-40 years. The infrastructure is needed, and you need to have players training and playing professionally from a young age. Academy football in England starts as young as 8 or 9 for example. I wonder if in America you get picked up before highschool.

Also the college system goes against Modern football. Players are commonly turning professional at 17 and 18, they're emigrating to Europe from South America and Asia to play in the most competitive leagues and get experience first hand. Not coming out of the educational system until you're 21 and not having played the level of competition other nationalities would have had is a setback. You look at the top footballing nations, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil. They've their best players spread across the best clubs in the world and have done so since they were as early as 16, but certainly by the time they're 18.

It's a system somewhat alien to American sports. And unless the MLS ever gets as competitive as European football, and isn't seen as one last paycheck for older footballers, it's a system America will have to adapt to if they want to be competitive at international level.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    I am from Spain, now we are world champion and Euro champions x2 in a row, WHY?

I think we come this good because 20 years ago, F.C Barcelona and Real Madrid hire the best world players. Maradona, Ronaldo Nazario, Rivaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, etc. How this affect? kids starting to be like them, going to soccer schools, kids championships, etc.. All to be like them. These kids are now: Iniesta, Silva, Xavi, Cesc, Pedro, Casillas, Pique, Ramos, Puyol, Busquets, etc... Soccer need practice.. if u lure kids on it, you have lots of options to have decent players in 20 years.

Sorry about my english

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they keep calling it soccer, the football world will never accept the US as a legitimate footballcountry

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    It's easier to find talent in a population of 300mil(USA) than a population of 50mil(England)
    Indeed if it would be the number 1 sport in America, they would be at the world top
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Deleted
    It's possible, but it has a long way to go yet. It'll be another 10-15 years at least until the next generation can benefit from the success of the current international team, you can't just have a good team and expect it all to come because of it though, it's all about the youth, soccer players tend to start pretty much as soon as they can stand enough to kick a ball and society has to influence that. Over here we used to play football aka soccer every break time and lunch time at school, then every couple of days after school and that was just for those of us who did it as a hobby. The US does have a good athletic background already though, until soccer players earn more than football players then all the best are just going to go to football instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, soccer will never be big enough in the US for us to be any good on the world stage. The talent that would be needed gets shunted off into the big 3.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!