Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ive been hunting for almost 25 years. . . Dove, Duck, Goose, Boar, and Deer.

There is nothing wrong with hunting.
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    So every hunter hikes up and down a mountain to hunt? Way to bullshit the truth to support your bullshit facts. When a 60 year old fat redneck can sit in a blind with a high powered rifle at known animal crossings, bait stations etc and kill an animal I don't consider that as "taking more" than a trained, in shape athlete taking a beating on a field.

Lets see you do it without all the fancy gear, camo and weapons. 99% of the so called hunters wouldn't last five minutes without their scoped rifle and bottle of deer piss.

Fact: Prehistoric man ate far less meat than we do today. Want meat? Go to a supermarket and buy some that's already been slaughtered. Hunting for food is obsolete in this society. Enough animals suffer in some pretty poor conditions so you can have access to fresh meat.

And no - I'm not a veg head.
    Every hunter? no, but then again, i did a lot of my hunting in Wyoming, western south dakota, and Montana. there are mountains out there if you didnt know. Alot of wilderness area that you can not do anything but pack in via horse. You can see hunting how you want, but its a distorted view as you have likely never been. As for weapons... god forbid we use things that have been giving hunters a way to kill and not maim... things that have been used since the invention of better weapons.

As for your prehistoric man comment.... you know the neanderthal ate roughly 6-8k calories a day??? 90% of that diet was meat... fun fact huh.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.
    Most hunters go for a single kill shot to avoid that. You know this, yes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'm sure that is a comforting thought to the Deer that got shot through the heart.

They dont understand it... they never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    tread carefully my friend, Troll season officially opened yesterday...

10+ Year Old Account
    To answer the question: No, I haven't.

Hunting for sport sounds a bit barbaric to me, why would you want to kill anything "just because"?.
    If you have a reason for hunting then I have no problems with it. For example; Here in Finland we have elk (moose) hunting time in the autumn, elk are major traffic hazards and thus the elk population needs to be kept at a certain point.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, your wrong. Maybe you should have quoted everything I said.

Eating great tasting food has nothing to do with a "giddy thrill". Sorry buddy, put the PETA Nation magazine down for 10 seconds and listen to how insane you sound.

I'm sure that is a comforting thought to the Deer that got shot through the heart.
    I'm pretty sure it's not thinking anything. Because it's dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    They dont understand it... they never will.
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:36 AM ----------

No, your wrong. Maybe you should have quoted everything I said.

Eating great tasting food has nothing to do with a "giddy thrill". Sorry buddy, put the PETA Nation magazine down for 10 seconds and listen to how insane you sound.
    You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

No you cannot. You cannot purchase dove that strictly feed on Maize at the grocery store. Im done talking to you. Get off the PETA wagon and maybe someone will take you seriously.

So you're saying that hunters should give it up because they can go buy a pack of venison at the Supermarket. So...killing a wild animal is cruel and unusual. Farm animals however are fair game?

I dont think killing is fun, i dont get a thrill from killing... i get my thrill from stalking my prey, getting intouch with the roots of my ancestors. As for buying meat from the store... i dont want that feed lot meat. Next youre going to say im a horrible person because i get my chickens from my aunt and uncles farm for free.... just because there is a "store" for meat, doesnt mean you have to drink the kool-ade and think its the only sane option.

Buying meat from a grocery store doesn't absolve you from the animal's death, it just makes it easier to swallow (Puns, HAH). If you want to be a vegan who abhors the death of any living creature, so be it, I may not agree, but I can respect it. You aren't saying that though. Your point is far more contradictory.

My fiancee hunts with this:

Your argument is invalid.

I thought about getting a falconry license.... them birds are expensive upkeep though

10+ Year Old Account
    I hunt mainly for food. Free protein source for me. I prefer venison to beef and I do enjoy hunting because we own 300 acres and I go with family and get to bond, I wouldnt even have to kill anything to enjoy it(in fact, sometimes I dont)
    Survival is Key

10+ Year Old Account
    No you cannot. You cannot purchase dove that strictly feed on Maize at the grocery store. Im done talking to you. Get off the PETA wagon and maybe someone will take you seriously.
    This has nothing about the ethical treatment of animals, it has everything to do with causing harm where harm is can be avoided. But do continue to use that strawman.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:45 AM ----------

So you're saying that hunters should give it up because they can go buy a pack of venison at the Supermarket. So...killing a wild animal is cruel and unusual. Farm animals however are fair game?
    There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.

This has nothing about the ethical treatment of animals, it has everything to do with causing harm where harm is can be avoided. But do continue to use that strawman.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:45 AM ----------

There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.
    And if that bear is threatening livestock or human, because of overpopulation of the bear that is encroaching on farmers land or getting in to small towns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think killing is fun, i dont get a thrill from killing... i get my thrill from stalking my prey, getting intouch with the roots of my ancestors. As for buying meat from the store... i dont want that feed lot meat. Next youre going to say im a horrible person because i get my chickens from my aunt and uncles farm for free.... just because there is a "store" for meat, doesnt mean you have to drink the kool-ade and think its the only sane option.
    Okay, but none of that makes hunting justified or necessary for you to live.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:49 AM ----------

And if that bear is threatening livestock or human, because of overpopulation of the bear that is encroaching on farmers land or getting in to small towns.
    First, we are encroaching on the bears land. Second, they invented animal control for a reason. Tranq dart, relocated. I understand though, that option doesn't sate your bloodlust.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Joben View Post
    I hunt mainly for food. Free protein source for me. I prefer venison to beef and I do enjoy hunting because we own 300 acres and I go with family and get to bond, I wouldnt even have to kill anything to enjoy it(in fact, sometimes I dont)
    Forming a bond around death and killing. Sounds healthy.