Shadow Priests in PVP, where do they stand?

Hey all, been thinking of leveling my priest to PVP as shadow, always been something that I've had interest in. I currently play a warrior, but thinking it's not for me this expansion. I've always played melee DPS, and seeing how Warriors are atm, I'm not sure if I want to keep playing him.

Anyways, I've only played an SPriest a few times, but it's something I've been looking into. Correct me if I'm wrong, but SPriests don't exactly have Cooldowns to blow when they try to get a kill, they just have to be smart with their CCs/Silence/Shadow Orb management/etc? In the games I've played against SPriests, I've seen how good they can be. Not overpowered, but good, and that's what I like to see. I HATE scenarios like: "Gates open & 10 seconds later game is won".

Basically looking for a fun, that is not an OP/FOTM class. That being said, would a SPriest fit that description or is there some hidden bs within SPriests I haven't seen yet?

Deleted
    Don't cross-post. One place is enough.

Spriests are powerful. Not Warrior powerful, but I'd say they're in the tier directly under it. (being.. my opinion... Mage, Lock, Spriest) Incredibly high damage potential, while being nearly unkillable - spriests are truly powerful atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Don't cross-post. One place is enough.
    Never knew there was a rule about that o_o.

Lmfao and there it is instantly. Didn't know it was such a problem for people. Maybe people who have insight on my post don't always look at Priest forums? Or Vice versa, PVP forums? Calm down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Sticky called: READ FIRST: Your General Discussions Map and FAQ! links to The Forum Rules/FAQ - Read them first! and there is a section called General posting guidelines. The very first line of that is
    Do not create duplicate threads in the same or multiple sections to attract more attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbtk View Post
    Lmfao and there it is instantly. Didn't know it was such a problem for people. Maybe people who have insight on my post don't always look at Priest forums? Or Vice versa, PVP forums? Calm down.
    It is the first rule in the forum guideline and general common sense.

Deleted
    Didn't know it was such a problem for people. Maybe people who have insight on my post don't always look at Priest forums? Or Vice versa, PVP forums? Calm down.
    It's a problem when you have hundreds and thousands of people using the forums. IF, and I know it's a big IF, everyone posts the same stuff in two or three sections, then half the crap here would take up twice the space. Besides, I'm calm as the ocean before the storm. I'm just telling you to not do it, as it's against the forum rules which you read before you posted... Right?

Hey all, been thinking of leveling my priest to PVP as shadow
    Play what you enjoy. By the time you level your priest to 90, collect a full set of PvP gear, and get the full hang of things, a slew of nerfs or buffs could have come down the pipeline. How spriests (or any class) play now is somewhat irrelevant.

and seeing how Warriors are atm, I'm not sure if I want to keep playing him.
    Warriors are incredibly OP atm. Are you not having fun cutting down everything in your path, especially casters?

They do pretty decent damage while providing some utility; their real strength in arena atm however is the amount of off-healing they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    They do pretty decent damage while providing some utility; their real strength in arena atm however is the amount of off-healing they can do.
    Which is going to be getting a nerf:

"Healing – We agree that off-spec healers are too competitive with dedicated healers. Specs such as Shadow, Elemental, and Balance are supposed to be able to provide some healing—that’s one of their perks—but they shouldn’t be able to substitute for a dedicated healer. The change we are going to try here is to have PvP Power benefit either your damage or healing depending on spec."
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/770...PvP-10_31_2012

It really is a different play style, and frankly, there is a lot more variability and skill curve to a good SP. The biggest difference comes with off healing and knowing how to stay alive. kiting people is difficult but can be done if done carefully and warriors have the exact opposite problem. where mages can root and stun anywhere, locks have insane portability, and boomkins get speed bursts and stuns, priests have to really use their toolkit well to stay alive. Some awesome new tools in the MoP talents, and having a disarm is more helpful than people know.

All in all, if you are new to the class, its gonna be an uphill battle as you learn how to maximize everything you have, but when you do, it is honestly the most fun class to play in Pvp BECAUSE of the skill curve. Every class has some level of this (of course) but SP's get added utility that straight DPSers don't. (new glyph that allows renew and PoM in shadow form might be a bit much honestly, though i love it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Spriests are powerful. Not Warrior powerful, but I'd say they're in the tier directly under it. (being.. my opinion... Mage, Lock, Spriest) Incredibly high damage potential, while being nearly unkillable - spriests are truly powerful atm.

Yes we're truly powerful after two other caster classes. Warriors are top for melee. Doesn't sound too great when you put it like that. Spriest are fun sure, love our utility, but that is about all we amount to if we're focused and have no peels. We definitely need to get tweeked a bit. Looks like we'll be getting a bit of a nerf come 5.1 =/

Boomkins are doing pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    Yes we're truly powerful after two other caster classes. Warriors are top for melee. Doesn't sound too great when you put it like that.
    Pretty sure the person you quoted placed Spriests on the same tier as Mage and Locks, not below it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    Pretty sure the person you quoted placed Spriests on the same tier as Mage and Locks, not below it.
    I was agreeing with him to a certain extent. I feel spriests are below mages, below locks. I feel in rbgs we're below boomkins, but in arena above them. Below and above refering to desirability and most viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    I was agreeing with him to a certain extent. I feel spriests are below mages, below locks. I feel in rbgs we're below boomkins, but in arena above them. Below and above refering to desirability and most viable.
    I disagree. I actually feel Spriests are a little bit better than mages, Definitely better than locks. Pet that casts fear constantly on everyone in 20 yards, 2 30 second CD escapes, Offhealing that rivals full blown healers, and sizable burst - I honestly feel Spriests are amazing in arena and bgs. They bring everything one could want and more. I might would argue Demo Locks might be a little bit better, but Psy fiend > Blood Fear.

But hey, I haven't played in high level arena since Wrath, so what do I know.

Yes we're truly powerful after two other caster classes.
    Actually SPriest are the second best caster after frostmage and the 3rd best class overall, outsides healers.
    They have great damage, great burst, great controls, sick assists. They are definitely in a great shape right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eja216 View Post
    Warriors are incredibly OP atm. Are you not having fun cutting down everything in your path, especially casters?
    What's the point in playing a blatantly OP class just for that reason (apart from Mages ofc because that's ok)? they're going to get nerfed, especially since it's Warriors it will be to the ground.