Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Fwiw: The Warrior T4 set looks amazing, Rogue looks pretty good, Mage looks okay and Cleric looks fing horrendous.
    I took a peek, I actually thought the warrior was best, cleric a close second, mage and rogue tied third. None looks terribly bad, overall a very nice tier. Not a fan of the mage shoulders and I think the helm needs a neck of some sort like the others. But overall a nice tier. Hope it dies well though, else the entire raid is in purple and grey. Yuk.

Every build in Rift is a "hybrid" of some sort. Gameplay is built around combing 3 classes out of 8 within a given archetype.

Rogue is not your class in Rift, it's just an archetype for mechanics and flavor. Saboteur, Ranger, Marksman, Blade Dancer, Assassin, Tactician, Bard, Rift Stalker and Nightblade are classes within the Rogue archetype. Combine any 3 classes.

Up to 6 "specs" of any 3 class combination can be saved & swapped to/from on the fly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-06 at 05:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    One thing you'll find about Rift like WoW in the TBC days is good players can make hybrid specs perform amazingly.
    That's all I needed to hear. I'd be foolish not to download the demo after hearing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Rogue is not your class in Rift, it's just an archetype for mechanics and flavor. Saboteur, Ranger, Marksman, Blade Dancer, Assassin, Tactician, Bard, Rift Stalker and Nightblade are you classes within the Rogue archetype. Combine any 3 classes.
    This I like, I like this a LOT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to dust off the old Callings videos, be aware a lot of these souls have changed

Cleric

Mage

Rogue

Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    That's all I needed to hear. I'd be foolish not to download the demo after hearing this.

This I like, I like this a LOT.
    Well all one needs to understand is that the "soul system" is both a combination class and talent tree. A "soul" or otherwise class tree isn't strictly a talent tree as in WOW terms.

Such as in the case of choosing Fire spec as a Mage in WOW. You get all the other Mage abilities [portals, arcane blast, frost bolt, etc] from just being Mage in WOW. That progression is both linear and singular.

The Fire tree are where [were] the talents lay. Picking up a few abilities here and there. But the basic abilities and nature of what you were was defined by being a Mage in WoW.

Or Warrior, Paladin, etc.

In Rift "mage" just a template.

Because one is not strictly a "fire mage" by equipping the Pyromancer class [or soul as they are called in game]. Progression as a Pyromancer is vertical and horizontal.

Observe;

^ As I invest talent points upward the bottom abilities are unlocked. A Pyromancer is entitled only to the abilities unlocked at the bottom of the talent tree. The so called "root abilities". Thus what you are as a Pyromancer in this sense is both defined by total invested points and unlocks. 2 points unlock this spell, 12 this other one, 20 another, etc.

But one might choose to add another class or soul to that Pyromancer. Such as...

^ Elementalist. A pet using class with broad elemental spells [fire, earth, lighting]. And thus progress upward and downward along the Elementalist's talent and abilities.

Gaining the force of both the Pyromancer and Elementalist.

A third might be added. Like this...

^ Adding Archon, a support/DPS mage class. Again, combing the full abilities of all three classes as you see fit to distribute points.

A Pyromancer will never get his "frost bolt" by virtue of just being a mage in Rift. Because your class is not Mage. Your "spec" is not Fire.

You are are what make of yourself, so to speak.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-06 at 06:13 PM.

SNIP.
    That post, my dear Fencers, should be stickied. Fantastic Explanation.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    This. Based on your comments, you'd seem to pretty much personify Rift's target audience.

Vanilla Rift has been often compared to TBC era WoW. I find this comparison quite appropriate. Storm Legion in turn will be (it seems) the kind of expansion WoW would have deserved after TBC (Wrath was pretty good, but it still got me to quit the game about half way in the x-pack. I got myself free cata with a scroll of resurrection, leveled to 85 during the free week, and wasn't all that impressed. For some ridiculous reason I actually bought Mists on release. Cancelled sub before the first month ran out. I quite miss that money of mine, but c'est la vie).

Edit:

Oh, and being EU player myself, I'll go ahead and answer the server related questions:

1) How active are the more populated servers, ie, do any of them have extreme populations like Stormscale EU for example?

There are not all that many English speaking servers on EU side (after merges and significant population cap increases). Two of them are very healthy, Icewatch and Blightweald (both PvE). Icewatch is the server to where most people fled (for some reason) when a lot of old shards were removed. It is Rift's Stormscale, and come LS launch I expect to see queues, or at least hellish lag there. A lot of people have transferred from Icewatch (due to it being overpopulated to an extent that was negatively affecting raiding and such) to Blightweald, making it a very nicely populated server (this is where I'd recommend you to come). The only PvP shard standing is Bloodiron, which used to be the Stormscale, but for some reason the server merge caused people to evacuate (I think this has to do with the fact that nowadays you need a lot of people logged in before shard status will even get from low to medium, which makes people panic). I do expect Bloodiron to liven up too, come the expansion, but such things can't be known.
    Last edited by Marc7; 2012-11-06 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    That post, my dear Fencers, should be stickied. Fantastic Explanation.
    Totally agree, that post was awesome!!

Unfortunately, before I had chance to read it I was already in game learning about the soul tree first hand! I love it, everything about it. I especially like the way the game will guide you through the somewhat overwhelming builds at first if you want it to, and I just can't get over how much variety there actually is once you detach from the standard build choices. After enduring Blizzard's false promises for so long, it is truly refreshing to have so much control over my character.

I'm gonna stick with my Thunderer Cleric until I feel a little more comfortable then I'll play around with a couple of hybrid dps/heal builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc7 View Post
    A lot of people have transferred from Icewatch (due to it being overpopulated to an extent that was negatively affecting raiding and such) to Blightweald, making it a very nicely populated server (this is where I'd recommend you to come). The only PvP shard standing is Bloodiron, which used to be the Stormscale, but for some reason the server merge caused people to evacuate (I think this has to do with the fact that nowadays you need a lot of people logged in before shard status will even get from low to medium, which makes people panic). I do expect Bloodiron to liven up too, come the expansion, but such things can't be known.
    I actually jumped straight in to Icewatch after reading a few server population reports and forum posts. I've already had a little lag while levelling so I think I will take your advice and hop over to Blightweld sooner rather than later.

Thanks all of you for the info. So far Rift seems like it offers everything I miss from the old school WoW mentality. If it keeps me grinning like this I can see me becoming a regular very quickly!

Glad you approve of the game Spam.

You haven't commented on it, but I wanted to offer a little advice: Some people don't care for the art style and quit the game quickly. I've found most who stick it out and level some grow to appreciate the game's art direction quite a bit. More often than not, the player is visually locked on a different style, say WoW's, and don't give Rift a fair shake.

It's one of the most common complaints I see from people who try Rift, usually after having quit WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc7 View Post
    This. Based on your comments, you'd seem to pretty much personify Rift's target audience.

Vanilla Rift has been often compared to TBC era WoW. I find this comparison quite appropriate. Storm Legion in turn will be (it seems) the kind of expansion WoW would have deserved after TBC (Wrath was pretty good, but it still got me to quit the game about half way in the x-pack. I got myself free cata with a scroll of resurrection, leveled to 85 during the free week, and wasn't all that impressed. For some ridiculous reason I actually bought Mists on release. Cancelled sub before the first month ran out. I quite miss that money of mine, but c'est la vie).

Edit:

Oh, and being EU player myself, I'll go ahead and answer the server related questions:

1) How active are the more populated servers, ie, do any of them have extreme populations like Stormscale EU for example?

There are not all that many English speaking servers on EU side (after merges and significant population cap increases). Two of them are very healthy, Icewatch and Blightweald (both PvE). Icewatch is the server to where most people fled (for some reason) when a lot of old shards were removed. It is Rift's Stormscale, and come LS launch I expect to see queues, or at least hellish lag there. A lot of people have transferred from Icewatch (due to it being overpopulated to an extent that was negatively affecting raiding and such) to Blightweald, making it a very nicely populated server (this is where I'd recommend you to come). The only PvP shard standing is Bloodiron, which used to be the Stormscale, but for some reason the server merge caused people to evacuate (I think this has to do with the fact that nowadays you need a lot of people logged in before shard status will even get from low to medium, which makes people panic). I do expect Bloodiron to liven up too, come the expansion, but such things can't be known.
    Trion has to do sth with Icewatch...maybe close the transfers there?
    Icewatch is overpopulated while blightweald can have many more players.
    I think that yesterday it has queue also for a little....

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like I dropped out of my own thread too early. Happened by chance to see it on the MMO-C front page as a recent post and it quickly went from a tidbit of helpful info to 3 pages of lengthy discussion. Suddenly my "Rift may not be for me" decision has turned into "Well actually this game looks fucking epic." I got my second toon to 90 today in WoW and all it did was solidify the fact that Blizzard really seems just focused on Titan at this point. I was a long time diehard supporter of the changes to PvP in MoP but honestly at this point I'm even proving myself wrong. If PvE is as get in and go in Rift as it's being made out to be here, I might just have to give it a shot. Sounds like I'll be seeing you guys in Telara very soon here.
    WoW : Burning Blade (H)
    90 Warlock, 90 Shaman, 96+ Mage, 90 Death Knight, 86 Warrior, 90 Hunter, 85 Rogue, 80 Paladin, 76 Priest, 70 Druid, 26 Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post

You haven't commented on it, but I wanted to offer a little advice: Some people don't care for the art style and quit the game quickly. I've found most who stick it out and level some grow to appreciate the game's art direction quite a bit. More often than not, the player is visually locked on a different style, say WoW's, and don't give Rift a fair shake.

It's one of the most common complaints I see from people who try Rift, usually after having quit WoW.
    I wouldn't say it's so much 'art style,' as it's animations.

Rift's Art is more....realistic, whereas WoW (or GW2) is more cartoony. It could be the age of the WoW engine/game, because in 'HD' I'm sure WoW would look much more serious, but Rift's dark zones feel darker, and way more moody (ie. Gloamwood) than a zone like say, Duskwood, in WoW.

Rift's animations are good, but not WoW/GW2 good. I don't roll my eyes at them like when I played SWTOR, or TSW, but they're adequate. "Nothing Special."

Oh and welcome to Telara, Spam! Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay. Don't forget to kill the critters, for you're rewarded for being evil by being able to loot their tears!

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish24 View Post
    Looks like I dropped out of my own thread too early. Happened by chance to see it on the MMO-C front page as a recent post and it quickly went from a tidbit of helpful info to 3 pages of lengthy discussion. Suddenly my "Rift may not be for me" decision has turned into "Well actually this game looks fucking epic." I got my second toon to 90 today in WoW and all it did was solidify the fact that Blizzard really seems just focused on Titan at this point. I was a long time diehard supporter of the changes to PvP in MoP but honestly at this point I'm even proving myself wrong. If PvE is as get in and go in Rift as it's being made out to be here, I might just have to give it a shot. Sounds like I'll be seeing you guys in Telara very soon here.
    Nov 7th - 11th is free for new players/returnees.

Just sayin'.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post

Well I play Minecraft a lot, so naturally graphics and artwork take second place to gameplay for me!!

One thing I have noticed is that the graphics engine is quite poorly optimised. It's not an issue though, I'm gonna start building a new desktop after xmas anyway, but I have a feeling that may be the one of the main reasons a lot of players return to wow... they play on a shitty PC which runs wow fine, so when they step over to something a little heavier on the CPU/GPU they blame the game instead of their shoddy hardware. Luckily, I'm fully aware that my desktop sucks! It's a Dell machine running Vista FFS... need I say more? I do have a powerful i7 gaming laptop too, but recently it's been overheating and cutting out after a couple of hours of Rift or GW2 so I need to get it looked at (unless anyone has any killer cooling tips for laptops?). I wouldn't feel comfortable gaming on it regularly tbh, and certainly not in 10/20 man raids where people would rely on me to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish24 View Post
    Sounds like I'll be seeing you guys in Telara very soon here.
    RAWR! /highfive

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Oh and welcome to Telara, Spam! Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay. Don't forget to kill the critters, for you're rewarded for being evil by being able to loot their tears!
    Haha one step ahead of you fella! Got my first tear within a few minutes and got wrapped up in the collections screens for about an hour. Again, this is my type of feature. Something time consuming but fun that involves a bit of exploration between organised events. Perfect
    Last edited by mmoc520d33584e; 2012-11-08 at 10:00 AM.

first char at lv 16 now, and really enjoy it so far. Still often not sure what's happening, like invasions and all these different colours of arrows on the worldmap etc. I'll get a hang of it eventually, but it's refreshing after 6 years of wow to feel like a noob again

Can't wait to try out more classes/specs/souls, or w/e I'm on Icewatch too btw, and idd a tad laggy now and then. Even had a queue of a whopping 4 ppl last nite

Quote Originally Posted by flavie View Post
    first char at lv 16 now, and really enjoy it so far. Still often not sure what's happening, like invasions and all these different colours of arrows on the worldmap etc. I'll get a hang of it eventually, but it's refreshing after 6 years of wow to feel like a noob again

Can't wait to try out more classes/specs/souls, or w/e I'm on Icewatch too btw, and idd a tad laggy now and then. Even had a queue of a whopping 4 ppl last nite
    Just to note with invasions and the arrows, that's just where the enemies are heading, so you can figure out where to go to run into them.

Deleted
    I don't like mult-mode instances. There should be 1 mode. Beat it if you can.
    Out of interest, what does an instance having ''several modes'' available actually take away from the experience? Challenge modes for example give a completely different play experience to Heroic. You would prefer there simply being 'less'?

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Out of interest, what does an instance having ''several modes'' available actually take away from the experience? Challenge modes for example give a completely different play experience to Heroic. You would prefer there simply being 'less'?
    Best analogy is: you only lose your virginity once.

Its an issue of preference. When you get content delivered as quickly as Rift manages it, the "less" idea is only relevant when you're stuck doing the same raid or content for months on end and therefore artificial mechanisms are in place to prolong that content's lifespan. (such as boss doing more damage and only minor alterations to mechanics).

Ulduar for example was ideal in my book.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Out of interest, what does an instance having ''several modes'' available actually take away from the experience?
    It's lazy development.

It's lazy development.
    Honestly I do agree with the multiple mode thing being dumb.

Admittedly though, I think RIFT does it a fairly interesting way with some of the dungeons.

I mean, I still consider Deepstrike Mines pretty awesome because of that. You do the original, take out a few bosses, then it's like, "HOLY CRAP A NEW WING" in heroic.

If they do stuff like that a fair amount, have a new arc of the dungeon, new bosses, basically seeing it as a different place, a new story to it, and all of that, instead of just going through exactly the same place buffed up a bit. I think it works a lot more.