Poll: OP's Fault or Not?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

GPS Stolen; My Fault?

Hello everyone. Today I found out that my car was broken into and someone had stolen the GPS to my car (which was hidden in the glovebox, other valuables are hidden in other spots). I ended up contacting my Dad today on the issue, and I told him how my doors were locked (except for the passenger door, which a friend of mine forgot to lock last night, nor am I blaming him), and that there was nothing sitting out of value.

He yelled at me, and said it was my fault for the theft because one of the doors was unlocked. So I'm posting this (along with a pole once I figure that out), people's opinions on whether it was my fault or not.

Deleted
    Yes, it's your fault, but I wouldn't ponder too much about it depending on how much the GPS was worth.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Hello everyone. Today I found out that my car was broken into and someone had stolen the GPS to my car (which was hidden in the glovebox, other valuables are hidden in other spots). I ended up contacting my Dad today on the issue, and I told him how my doors were locked (except for the passenger door, which a friend of mine forgot to lock last night, nor am I blaming him), and that there was nothing sitting out of value.

He yelled at me, and said it was my fault for the theft because one of the doors was unlocked. So I'm posting this (along with a pole once I figure that out), people's opinions on whether it was my fault or not.
    Hardly broken into if you left a door open for them lol.

Yes it's your fault.

Deleted
    Not your fault. Unless your dad expects you to manually check every door before you walk away from your car. I usually just check the door I get out of and the boot.

10+ Year Old Account
    ofc it was , double check the dors if you dont have central locking , and especialy if you leave valuable things inside ... common sense

Deleted
    you didn't check the car was secure before leaving it knowing that you do not have a central locking system (where all doors lock automatically) so the fact that the thief got into the car via the door is your responsibility.

This is not to say that a locked door would have stopped the thief, if the thief had broken into the vehical then it would not be your fault. instead they let themselves in.

Sounds like it's your friends fault.

But honestly if the doors were locked, it'd be the thief's fault. People are scumbags. I had my GPS in my car in my driveway on my property, doors all locked and there's a gate around my house, and some asshole broke into my car and stole the GPS one night. It was in the thing you rest your elbow on not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Not your fault. Unless your dad expects you to manually check every door before you walk away from your car. I usually just check the door I get out of and the boot.
    His car, his property, his fault, sorry. I hope the GPS wasn't too expensive.
    I agree that people shouldn't steal, but we all know it happens and leaving the door unlocked is just an invitation for thieves.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2012-11-06 at 11:12 PM.

Deleted
    Your fault. I doubt they would have smashed the window into a car with nothing of value showing in public.

Chances are it wasnt even a proper hardcore thief but some random trying his luck after seeing the door unlocked.

Not really fair trying to blame the friend when you must have the only car left in the world without central locking.

You allowed it to happen by leaving your door open. Of course the biggest fault is with the criminal, but you still allowed it to easily occur with minimal effort on the scums part.

of course its the thief fault, but you made his job easier.

no one here can say if he would have stolen the item anyway so you can't really blame yourself, just be cautios next time

Your fault. Don't leave valuables in your car unless you want to risk them getting stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    His car, his property, his fault, sorry. I hope the GPS wasn't too expensive.
    Thankfully, it was not. Normally I check to make sure all of the doors are locked by I was pretty scatter brained last night. *shrug* guess I had it coming :P.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Thankfully, it was not. Normally I check to make sure all of the doors are locked by I was pretty scatter brained last night. *shrug* guess I had it coming :P.
    Happens to everyone at least once. Most of the time they miss nothing after that, but you'll never forget to check the doors again.

Deleted
    the first thing that comes to mind is

did maybe your friend steal the GPS?
    he knew it was there + he left the door open

don't trust anyone except yourself!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your fault, but you are not the first or the last to have it happen to you. Learn from it and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

A fault is a mistake, an error, or a short coming. The thief didn't have a fault here... he did exactly what he intended without error. You though made an error: you relied on a friend to secure the car correctly, and your judgement about that friends performance was in error.

But, I think you're making another mistake in focusing on the fault in the situation. I think you'd better be served by considering responsibility. Ask yourself who was responsible for that car and it's contents? My guess is you and your dad can agree on that one, and when you come to that agreement you're likely to find he's much less frustrated with the situation. Once you both get passed your frustration, you can focus together on dealing with the consequences.

Of course it's the thief's "fault", he was being a scumbag and stealing. That being said, you greatly helped him in doing so by having a door unlocked. Your father wasn't distinguishing between the fault of you or the criminal btw....unless he's insane. He's saying "check and make sure you lock your fucking doors, you can't be upset about having shit stolen if you have your doors unlocked because people do shitty things, like steal from unlocked cars."

This sounds like a rape analogy.

"S/he had it coming because s/he did X"

Is OP luring us into a trap?

Deleted
    I'm sorry but you did leave the door open, so the answer is pretty obvious.