Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blade Lord Tal'yak - Tips and Tricks

Hey folks,

I'm mostly making this thread because I need a little help with Unseen Strike but since there's no active thread on this particular boss I'll just leave it to be a general tips&tricks for it.

So what I need to know is: I've watched some videos where as soon as a player gets marked by Unseen Strike a {skull} mark gets placed on him. I'd have assumed it would be DBM doing this but after a few tries last night we didn't get any mark, so, do you know which addon does that, if any?

We got him down to the last phase quite a few times but we'd always have a couple dead players and healer mana would be down to shyte due to Unseen Strike as we'd always have someone not getting hit by it. Problem seems to be that we can't, sometimes, be able to see exactly where the marked player is so stacking up behind him fails sometimes (hence why the skull mark would help).

Apart from that, feel free to leave any tips or useful ideas you found for this boss.

What we did:

Have all the colour marks on the floor and then we'd take the boss near one of them (and change to another mark once the one we're at gets too many tornadoes) and once Unseen Strike is coming we all stack up on the closest mark.

What we also found useful is not to tank him in his spawning spot since the stairs tend to lead to delays in stacking up, so we just pull him and have our first stacking mark right down the stairs from his spawn.

The game puts a red mark like Hunter's Mark over the player. I'm also fairly certain you're supposed to stack in front of the player because Blade Lord appears behind the guy and does a frontal cone in front of him. But if the player twitches and moves, you kind of juke the raid and Blade Lord just picks some random spot to do his strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    So what I need to know is: I've watched some videos where as soon as a player gets marked by Unseen Strike a {skull} mark gets placed on him. I'd have assumed it would be DBM doing this but after a few tries last night we didn't get any mark, so, do you know which addon does that, if any?
    they get a hunter's mark.
    dbm puts the skull. a raidleader /assist did not have that function turned on

It's easier to just have everyone to stack at the tanks, you don't have to waste time looking around to find the targeted player.
    The cone of Unseen Strike will always go in the direction from Boss' position (before vanishing) to Targeted player's (when he reappear), so have your marked ones place themselves slightly in front of the tanks by ~1 step.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an option in DBM that allows/disallows the addon from placing markers on players for relevant mechanics. Make sure the RL or an assist that runs DBM (Maybe bigwigs does it too, idk) has the option toggled on. Also, as has been said, look for the hunter's mark icon over a player. We do a modified version of what you do. We don't have assigned markers on the ground, we just have everyone stack on tanks as soon as the warning goes out.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    they get a hunter's mark.
    dbm puts the skull. a raidleader /assist did not have that function turned on
    I am the RL and I've always had the marking option checked (it was working in Zor'lok since it would always mark the MC'd players) but it never marked our Unseen Strike's target.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 05:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lachez View Post
    There's an option in DBM that allows/disallows the addon from placing markers on players for relevant mechanics. Make sure the RL or an assist that runs DBM (Maybe bigwigs does it too, idk) has the option toggled on. Also, as has been said, look for the hunter's mark icon over a player. We do a modified version of what you do. We don't have assigned markers on the ground, we just have everyone stack on tanks as soon as the warning goes out.
    By stacking on the tank do you ever have issues with the direction the boss is facing?

10+ Year Old Account

By stacking on the tank do you ever have issues with the direction the boss is facing?
    As long as everyone is square on the tanks, no. We did have one or two times on progression where someone wouldn't get hit, but as long as you all are literally right on top of the tanks you should be fine.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

I am the RL and I've always had the marking option checked (it was working in Zor'lok since it would always mark the MC'd players) but it never marked our Unseen Strike's target.
    If you have an assist that also has the option checked it can cause an overwrite sometimes...or at least we used to have issues with that in ICC on Sindragosa where the marks would get screwed up. Just make sure only one person has the option checked (RL or assist).

The boss is stealthed before hitting its target so you can actually see where he will use his attack. The problem that I have with the fight is the last phase. I am using spiritwalker + tranquility at the first run to top the raid so everyone can start walking to the boss quickly. But the second run is a mess and is a little buggy(the boss enraged at 18 stacks). We keep wiping at %9.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    The boss is stealthed before hitting its target so you can actually see where he will use his attack. The problem that I have with the fight is the last phase. I am using spiritwalker + tranquility at the first run to top the raid so everyone can start walking to the boss quickly. But the second run is a mess and is a little buggy(the boss enraged at 18 stacks). We keep wiping at %9.
    Sounds like a DPS problem if you kept the majority of people alive until enrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Sounds like a DPS problem if you kept the majority of people alive until enrage.
    We have 330kish raid dps. Any ideas on enrage at 18 stacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    We have 330kish raid dps. Any ideas on enrage at 18 stacks?
    That's how the fight works: hard enrage at 18.

We one shot it with 361549.9 raid DPS in 6:53. Not sure how many stacks we had.

That's how the fight works: hard enrage at 18.

We one shot it with 361549.9 raid DPS in 6:53. Not sure how many stacks we had.
    Did you use 2 or 3 healers?

What? 18 is not the hard enrage. If you spend longer in P1, you'll have less stacks before enrage. We ended the fight at 24 stacks of Intensify last week:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...22Intensify%22
    [21:08:52.561] Blade Lord Ta'yak gains Intensify (24) from Blade Lord Ta'yak
    [21:08:54.503] Blade Lord Ta'yak's Intensify fades from Blade Lord Ta'yak

And it was like that because we 2 healed, pushed him really fast into P2 at 4 stacks, but classes who couldn't self heal and got behind on Tornadoes died. We ended the fight with a MW Monk, Spriest and 2 tanks alive. In an earlier attempt, myself (Guardian Druid) and our Prot Pally duo'ed him for 2.5 minutes (9-2%) until he had 21 stacks of enrage, and that was the berserk. We had 320k dps for the actual kill, and we were 20 secs ahead of Berserk.

So the boss will enrage anyway? In our attempts it enraged once at 20 stacks, and once in 18 stacks(we got past phase 1 like 5 times). We have more than 15 wipes it is kinda emberrassing :/

That's strange. Many people have been reporting hard enrage at 18. Checking my log for stacks now.

EDIT: We killed him at 17 stacks.

8 minutes is the hard enrage.
    don't think it matters how many stacks he has

Quote Originally Posted by Uniqed View Post
    Did you use 2 or 3 healers?
    3. I guess I can just give you guys the log... http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9m4wjenq6b4hq7j6/

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    8 minutes is the hard enrage.
    don't think it matters how many stacks he has
    Thanks!

3. I guess I can just give you guys the log... http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9m4wjenq6b4hq7j6/
    Did you guys have bloodlust on you for the whole fight? wow..

We might be 6/6 H MSV.