Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Two months to get fit again

TL;DR: How to get buffed in two months?

After one and a half years of living like a dead fish and dropping from 90kg bench to 40kg (lol) I've grown tired of this weak body of mine.

Straight to the details:

190cm
    78kg
    "Hard gainer" (I just have a fast metabolism)

All time record: 82kg, bench 90kg. No idea about body fat index.

I'll start the training in January, because I first have to finish some time consuming stuff and I can't focus on training. Which brings me to the reason why I said "two months to get fit" in my title.

In March I am going to start my study abroad and I'd like to be way more fit than I am now. But my old training schedule was focused on long term body definition and stamina training since I already was at the point where I didn't want to get any "stronger/bulkier".

Basically, my plan is to do what I did when I first started working out. Gain weight, gain stamina and focus on LRHI (low rep, high intense) training. I am quite positive that I can continue my training during my studies and switch to something that aims more at long term body recreation, but now I have the free time to totally focus only on training and I'd really like to get quite a bit stronger than I am now.

What I would like to do now is:

- Change my diet to gain some "natural" weight (simply without supplements). Lots of pasta, 4 meals a day, fruits, nuts. Basically some diet that you can find all over the internet regarding weight gain.

- Once it's January and I can start working out, I'll also start a 6 week Creatine cure. I further intend to drink around 4-5 liters of water a day.

- In addition to Creatine, I think it wouldn't harm me to use Weider protein shakes after training. ( is there anything you could recommend me? )

I'd like to have my focus on upper/lower chest, shoulders, bizeps, trizeps and stamina.

What limits me the most now is that I can't go to a real gym. It's no use applying for a 6 months contract at the local gym if I am only going to use it for two months. But I have quite a few items at home.

- Two short hand dumbbells with removable weights ( goes from 2kg to 12kg per dumbbell )
    - SZ bar ( same weights as dumbbell weights, so up to 24kg ) ( http://www.scsports.de/media/images/...ange-10web.jpg )
    - A flat bench with removable weights ( goes from 20kg to 80 kg in total ) ( http://fortivita.files.wordpress.com...ench_press.jpg )
    - A Powerball
    - A pull up bar ( http://www.asseenontvguys.com/produc...ll-up-bar-.jpg )

So what kind of exercises can you guys recommend me with this limited amount of tools? Also, is my plan to reach 85kg of weight and 80kg bench press until March delusional?

Thanks!
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-11-07 at 11:43 AM.

7kg of weight in 4 months = easy
    7kg of muscle in 4 months = impossible

80kg bench press in 4 months as an adult male = easy

I would advise working out right now and not wait until January.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post

Can't. I have to work until 4pm, commute home until 5pm, make myself something to eat, take care of the dog, do some regular housework, then its already around 7pm. No gym around, so I'd have to drive again 1 hour to the next gym and honestly I don't see myself doing hard workout at 8pm. I am dead meat after work already.

I only have to work until December, then I have to go back to The Netherlands where I have two months completely free.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Can't. I have to work until 4pm, commute home until 5pm, make myself something to eat, take care of the dog, do some regular housework, then its already around 7pm. No gym around, so I'd have to drive again 1 hour to the next gym and honestly I don't see myself doing hard workout at 8pm. I am dead meat after work already.

I only have to work until December, then I have to go back to The Netherlands where I have two months completely free.
    Do pushups.

It is not impossible to gain 7 kg of muscle in 4 months if you previously had the muscle. The body can regrow lost muscle much more quickly than gain new muscle for some weird reason that nobody understands.

The title and what you descibe here is not the same. Being fit is something entirely different than gain muscle from low rep sets. You can definantly gain muslce in 4 months. You will be back up and running in a month, maybe 2 or so if you work out 4 days a week thanks to muscle memory. You will then have 2-3 month to start improving your lifts. But getting you fit is a bit harder. You say you have high metabolism which helps but you will most likely not look like a competition ready bodybuilder. You need to combine heavy lifting with cardio in order to reach a balance between muscle growth and burning fat.

You have some great equipment for starters. Ideally you change your workout every month, maybe every 2 month for change but I dont see that with your equipment. Stick to the ez bar and the barbell. The dumbells will only work on your deltoids the way I see it, and the barbell can take care of those as well.

What worked for me might not works for me might not work for you but I would do it like this with your equipment (I hightly recommend buying a pullup bar.):

1st day: Back squat 3x8, Deadlift 3x8, Bent over Barbell Rows 3x8, Biceps Curl 3x8, Pullups 3x8
    2nd day: Bench Press 3x8, Barbell Front Raise 3x8, Push press 3x8, Skullcrushers 3x8, Close grip bench pres 3x8
    3rd day same as 1st day
    4th day same as 2nd day

This might work if you put the effort into it. If you like lower reps you can do that but 80kg bench press will stall you in your progress. After regaining strength (after a month or so) you will hit 80kg with 3-4 reps easily. Hell you might even be able to do that after 14 days if you put you mind into it. The thing is that you wanna teach your nervous system the preassure of heavy weights with low reps but you don't have heavy weights. Yes they are heavy in the beginning but you will long for heavier if you keep doing low reps.

Just remember to have fun. The first 14 days will be crap because you lag the strength and stamina to keep up. After that, things gets easier. Dont let it hit you. Just keep going. Just remember to have fun with it

Also check this out: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html.
    Last edited by Razzo; 2012-11-07 at 11:47 AM.

Forgot to add that I also have a pullup bar

Also, thanks Razzo. Nice Website, too.

What worked for me might not works for me might not work for you
    This still confused the shit outta me
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-11-07 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    Dont bother with a 6 week creatine cure, just take creatine every day, every single day, no weeks or months. Just take it.
    Take it with water, you dont need an insulin spike.
    Dont waste your money on protein shakes. Its just a supplement if you cant get your protein from whole foods.

"I'd like to have my focus on upper/lower chest, shoulders, bizeps, trizeps and stamina." No. You either do ALL muscle groups or you dont bother.

Its impossible to get buffed in 2 months. Especially since you say you are a "hard gainer" Everyone is a hard gainer.
    First year of lifting you will put on maybe 14 pounds or muscle, second year, 7 pounds, third - half, fourth - half.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Dont bother with a 6 week creatine cure, just take creatine every day, every single day, no weeks or months. Just take it.
    Dont waste your money on protein shakes. Its just a supplement if you cant get your protein from whole foods.

"I'd like to have my focus on upper/lower chest, shoulders, bizeps, trizeps and stamina." No. You either do ALL muscle groups or you dont bother.

Its impossible to get buffed in 2 months. Especially since you say you are a "hard gainer" Everyone is a hard gainer.
    First year of lifting you will put on maybe 14 pounds or muscle, second year, 7 pounds, third - half, fourth - half.
    Uhm. I already have 4 years of lifting and training behind me. The last year and a half was very stressful and I had little to no free time outside my job. So it's not like I never trained before. And no, you do not do ALL muscle groups or you don't bother, you put focus on what you find most important first. Why the fuck should I do leg training or lower back right now?

My problem is that I have little to no knowledge outside of long term fixated training. I always made training schedules with my "personal" trainer at McFit. No idea how to regulate weight / muscle gain on short term.

Edit: also, creatine all day forever? Rofl.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-11-07 at 12:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I would strongly recommend trying bouldering. You can get fit fast plus it's a very nice, dynamic, fun and creative sport. You don't even have to dedicate yourself much to it to just be fit

Why the fuck should I do leg training or lower back right now?
    Training big muscles like legs and back shocks your nervous system and causes your body to release a hormone that increases muscle growth.

Forgot to add that I also have a pullup bar

Also, thanks Razzo. Nice Website, too.

This still confused the shit outta me
    Arhahaha working while forumlurking is noticable in this phrase

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post

I would strongly recommend trying bouldering. You can get fit fast plus it's a very nice, dynamic, fun and creative sport. You don't even have to dedicate yourself much to it to just be fit
    Given his body type I would agree. However, I am at sub 10% body fat and SUCK at climbing... can barely do 5.8s. Truly a shitty sport for us short and stocky folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
    Arhahaha working while forumlurking is noticable in this phrase
    Hahaha true that
    I am at work, too. I have to edit my posts like 5 times to finally say what I actually wanted to say because I always have to do something else in the meantime.

Training big muscles like legs and back shocks your nervous system and causes your body to release a hormone that increases muscle growth.
    Okay, that's new for me. Does leg training ( or any other part of the body ) really has any effect on, lets say, my upper chest in terms of hormones? Or simply put... does leg training support my chest training?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-11-07 at 12:32 PM.

Okay, that's new for me. Does leg training ( or any other part of the body ) really has any effect on, lets say, my upper chest in terms of hormones? Or simply put... does leg training support my chest training?
    Yes, that's why deep squats with big weights is one the best gainer exercises.

Hahaha true that

Yes, it does. If you train chest and legs you will develop a larger chest than you would if you only trained chest. HOWEVER, you do not need to lift legs heavy to get this effect. You can train for power or train for endurance on legs and get the same benefit.

Okay well there is really no excuse for not exercising or not having enough time. You say that after all your stuff is done its almost 7pm, even if u r wow'ing or watching tv there is ample time for you to exercise inbetween wipes, ads, even if your studying do 15mins, then do a bit of exercise.
    'Depending on how much time you have, pumping out 15-20 pushups is a pretty quick and easy thing to do. So what I would do is whenever you have a brief moment to spare either do 15-20 push ups, or sit ups, or squats, or pull ups - pull ups can either be full chin ups or incline pull ups (some sort of bar with ur feet on the ground body straight and pull urself up to it.)

Alternating between these and maybe doing each 3-5 times will greatly help, you won't over work anything too badly and the other body parts can rest while you work the other 3 (push, pull, abs, legs). Obviously if you got time you can do a weight session but for now until your official 2 months starts, thats a great way to build some base strength fast whilst you aren't official exercising.

Start with 10 reps of each then build up if you're comfortable coz banging out 20 chin ups can make ou sore with no warm up and limited prior base fitness
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post

This is false on so many levels. No ordinary man gets the level of proteine to support 4 days of heavy lifting each week. A protein shake in the morning, 15 minutes before, 15 minutes after a workout and a shake in the afternoon gets you what you need to support this kind of workout without having to each 2 chickens every day.

Also not everyone is hardgainers. They way your body respons to different kind of pressure is very individual. It all comes down to genetics.

I worked out for a year and took on 10kg. Mostly muscle. Definantly some fat too because of how I changed my diet. But that comes with the territory. When you bulk you gain a little bit of everything. Anyway you can't meassure in raw muscle without meassuring your bodyfat. You might weigh 10kg more but is your bodyfat still as low as before...

Deleted
    Ok you got 2 months. Eat enough to gain about 4 kg in 2 months, and train heavy compound shit as often as you can recover from it. (Usually 2-3 times/week)
    Some muscle memory will help you when you were bigger once, but don't expect to get your old form back in this little time.
    Eat more and you just get fatter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
    This is false on so many levels. No ordinary man gets the level of proteine to support 4 days of heavy lifting each week. A protein shake in the morning, 15 minutes before, 15 minutes after a workout and a shake in the afternoon gets you what you need to support this kind of workout without having to each 2 chickens every day.

Also not everyone is hardgainers. They way your body respons to different kind of pressure is very individual. It all comes down to genetics.

I worked out for a year and took on 10kg. Mostly muscle. Definantly some fat too because of how I changed my diet. But that comes with the territory. When you bulk you gain a little bit of everything. Anyway you can't meassure in raw muscle without meassuring your bodyfat. You might weigh 10kg more but is your bodyfat still as low as before...

Its not impossible to get enough protein, you must be a dumbass.
    You only need 2 grams of protein per kilo of body fat, ofc that can be difficult if you're in a deficit, but you will build low amounts of muscle in a deficit anyway.
    My first meal of the day is 80 grams of Protein and around 1200 calories, so no. Its not difficult.
    And yes, everyone is a hard gainer.
    You worked out for a year and gained 10 kg of muscles? Highly doubt it. Especially if it wasnt your first year.
    10 pounds id believe, but not kg.