Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Astronomers have found potential habitable planet

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49735325.../#.UJtGGGJrVT4

The newfound exoplanet, a so-called "super-Earth" called HD 40307g, is located inside its host star's habitable zone, a just-right range of distances where liquid water may exist on a world's surface. And the planet lies a mere 42 light-years away from Earth, meaning that future telescopes might be able to image it directly, researchers said.
    Figured it was only a matter of time. Nothing definite yet, but we're getting there. 42 light years (lol 42) is not that far considering.

10+ Year Old Account
    42 light years.

its probably not there anymore and if it is it is probably not habitable.

sure sounds good... except for the 42 light year thing. If im not mistaken, a lightyear is the distance light travels on a year, which is pretty fucking far, and i doubt we can survive 42 years in space in a spaceship able to go up to lightspeed. Imagine the costs to build such ship compared to how many people we get to the other planet
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    42 light years.

42 light years means that our images of it are 42 years old. Now I won't rule out the fact that an asteroid might have obliterated it in the last 42 years, but chances are that it's still almost identical to what we're seeing.

42 light years.

42 light years is actually incredibly close. The light we're looking at left the planet only 42 years ago, it's extremely likely that is indeed still there and still potentially habitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah until we find away to travel light years of space quicker it'll be moot besides. I want to live on Earth not on another planet. If anything storage or using it as resources would be better.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

42 light years.

this is like saying earth won't be habitable in 42 years, chances are it will

42 light years is 246902250 Miles. And to give you a idea about how far that is. Neptune is 243 Light Mins away from earth
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Thats awesome to hear. I hope we can find out more about the planet in the near future.

42 light years.

42 light years is nothing. It literally just means that it takes 42 years for light to get to us. I really doubt a planet is gone in only 42 years.

Now us getting there is a different story.... lol.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2012-11-08 at 06:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Yeah until we find away to travel light years of space quicker it'll be moot besides. I want to live on Earth not on another planet. If anything storage or using it as resources would be better.
    And it's people like you who will be sabotaging and protesting every launch we manage to start up to go colonize it.

Why are you so attached to this planet? We've fuckered it up enough, time to go ruin another one! Ah well, one less person I have to compete with to get on the colony list :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    this is like saying earth won't be habitable in 42 years, chances are it will

Not if we'll have a WW3. Which may be somewhere around the corner.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

You use a lifeless rock for that. Not a habitable planet that could potentially house an ever growing population.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    And it's people like you who will be sabotaging and protesting every launch we manage to start up to go colonize it.

Why are you so attached to this planet? We've fuckered it up enough, time to go ruin another one! Ah well, one less person I have to compete with to get on the colony list :-)
    That just reminded me of a top i have... Earth 1st. We will strip mine the other planets later
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go live there once they had basic commodities. Don't get me wrong, Earth is great. But once we spread out to other stars, our species will finally be immortal. And that's important, because right now a single well-aimed asteroid could wipe us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'd go live there once they had basic commodities. Don't get me wrong, Earth is great. But once we spread out to other stars, our species will finally be immortal. And that's important, because right now a single well-aimed asteroid could wipe us out.
    As well as ourselves... I think we are going to kill each other before a asteroid does

General George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Who needs an asteroid when you have crazies who are developing nukes and/or already have them.

I could have sworn scientists were working on a method to travel through space faster than light (well technically the space around the ship would be traveling faster than light, the ship itself would not).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

No I wouldn't but thanks for being an ass about my response. Seriously I really doubt Earth is going to get destroyed or die out. I think people watch too many movies.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    I could have sworn scientists were working on a method to travel through space faster than light (well technically the space around the ship would be traveling faster than light, the ship itself would not).
    Indeed - looking at ways of applying a theory suggested in the 90s involving contracting space in front of the craft and expanding it behind it.

Best thing would be to move people there that would want to live there. A much bigger waste to use it as storage or harvesting it's resources which would take many trips, instead of just one trip there to drop people off instead. Hell, if we had the ability to go faster than the speed of light, even by 2 times as fast, I'd be willing to make that 21 year trip for the experience of being a founding member of a new planet.