View Poll Results: Will World of Warcraft subscribers go under 10 million this quarter or stay above?

Voters
395. This poll is closed
  • It will stay above 10 million.

245 62.03%
  • It will go under 10 million.

150 37.97%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    You'll notice that the same people only come around when two things happen 1) Annual earnings call or 2) Negative WoW thread.
    Actually, wasn't even here during the last one. Secondly, negative threads are a contrast to all the fanboism -- also helps when I'm a cynic to begin with.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Oh look, another opinion stated as a fact.
    Don't worry hes just trying to troll up a reason to explain his "WoW is really dieing" theory since Guild war 2 hasn't done crap to kill WoW like how he expected.

Don't make it personal - ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Oh and people said subs will be back to 12 mil rofl.
    For a game to have Subs go back up even with the two so call WoW-Killer (SWTOR and GW2) out any gain is a +, aren't you one of the people that said the second GW2 came out WoW would be dead, even with their panda expansion?
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-11-08 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Actually, wasn't even here during the last one. Secondly, negative threads are a contrast to all the fanboism -- also helps when I'm a cynic to begin with.
    On a fan forum though, negativity about the game is just annoying.

I once made a comparison to people who complain about WoW on a WoW forum is like people cheering for the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. You're free to do it, but you're not going to make any friends when you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharn View Post
    I was expecting to see reported their total sales of MOP to date, not just a rehash of 1st week after release we sold 2.7 Million. I expected a "Tada" the fact that their was no statement of total sales to date past their 1st week sales should trouble anyone.
    So on a conference call to discuss the Q3 numbers they just filed, you expected them to discuss early Q4 numbers. I'd say your expectations are off.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post

I understand that they're really just reporting on the end of the quarter, but I wonder if the fact that they haven't updated their subscribers and sales since then is an indication of slowed sales. Haven't they typically given 1-month-out reports on sales numbers in the past?
    I don't remember them giving 1-month-out numbers in the past. Can't say I've examined all their filings since WoW launched, but at least the last 3 or 4 quarterly calls, they've never given numbers past the end of the last quarter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Don't worry hes just trying to troll up a reason to explain his "WoW is really dieing" theory since Guild war 2 hasn't done crap to kill WoW like how he expected.

For a game to have Subs go back up even with the two so call WoW-Killer (SWTOR and GW2) out any gain is a +, aren't you one of the people that said the second GW2 came out WoW would be dead, even with their panda expansion?

Oh you just had to bring that up, didn't you?
    1st: game vs game is not allowed
    2nd: do not provoke game vs game
    3rd: check others posts first before making posts like that.

But anyway on topic: depends how much people enjoy daily quests.

Investment.

You invest not only money, you invest time and effort. If the subs aren't enough for you to enjoy end-game...now you see why it's important.

I was spending $45/mon on WoW. You bet I have an interest if it's worth ever continuing, or write WoW off as a loss.
    Until subs drop below 25 and you can no longer raid at all or below 40 on each faction so you can no longer PvP at all then you can blame subscriber loss for you no longer enjoying the game. That is unless the only enjoyment you get is because you're doing what everyone else is doing, in which case an MMO's subscriber base is the least of your worries.

Deleted
    obviously above 10 million.
    Q3 ends at the end of September and they just announced reaching 10million subscribers a few days before that.
    dumb question tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Until subs drop below 25 and you can no longer raid at all or below 40 on each faction so you can no longer PvP at all then you can blame subscriber loss for you no longer enjoying the game. That is unless the only enjoyment you get is because you're doing what everyone else is doing, in which case an MMO's subscriber base is the least of your worries.
    Many judge a MMO by how many players appear to be ingame to public activity (e.g., requests for raids in chat). If they don't see such activity they can be suspicious a game is dying.

I know when I join a new MMO if there's not enough players around; the economy is too one sided; and seeing players are rare, the game is not healthy and may not be worth the time+effort to become established there.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    obviously above 10 million.
    Q3 ends at the end of September and they just announced reaching 10million subscribers a few days before that.
    dumb question tbh.
    This.

I just don't get this topic really. Q3 Subscribers will be announced as the situation was at 30.9. and they already announced MoP went over 10 million with the release on 25.9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many judge a MMO by how many players appear to be ingame to public activity (e.g., requests for raids in chat). If they don't see such activity they can be suspicious a game is dying.

I know when I join a new MMO if there's not enough players around; the economy is too one sided; and seeing players are rare, the game is not healthy and may not be worth the time+effort to become established there.
    And yet many insist they don't understand why Blizzard is going to do CRZ no matter what.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    And yet many insist they don't understand why Blizzard is going to do CRZ no matter what.
    CRZ is a quick fix for a larger problem.

That problem plagues all MMOs, of once content is old, how to get players back to reuse older content. CRZ doesn't fix the underlining problem, it's for show.

WoW is different from other MMOs because their business model is keeping players in the game by leveling more alts (as was revealed in the Glider lawsuit). It's why CRZ appeals to Blizzard, as it gives levelers more access to other players in a zone to level. Problem there is the game was never designed for sharing resources across so many realms.

To fix the problem needs a better bandaid than opening the doors for appearances.

As people pointed out, AP was counted for totals in Q3, and 5.1 isn't really groundbreaking patch whatsoever (more dailies). We might see some global changes or big promo action quite soon.

I think it is good time to follow example of some other companies and make game based more on micro-transactions (half-f2p model, and no - what is called in WoW f2p is not f2p and is simply a trial). There would be still subscription plan, which would bring most benefits, but you could get subscription time and benefits by trading with other players using micro-transaction currency. This way noone will ever question amount of subs, as there would be a lot of people sitting on f2p model but fueling system via micro-transactions, and same time older players who sit on mountains of gold and not really willing to spend it on BMAH for fluffy stuff and temporary upgrades could use their gold to continue playing on subscription plan while otherwise they would question if game currently still worth 15$ per month.

I think BMAH is a testing step to this - attempt to make gold more interesting and gate some content (Brawler's Guild in 5.1) behind BMAH/gold. Official gold-selling based on elaborated micro-transaction system, being implemented smartly, would also help to get rid of all current gold-selling going around.
    CRZ was implemented to save on hardware, as keeping 10 instances of 1 zone active or only 1 instance is quite a difference. But you can't just force people to always interact with each other; any MMORPG will die without solo component (and multiple players in same zone competing with you on quest mobs, rare mobs/pets and resource nodes completely demolish solo aspect). And a lot of people who went from same EverQuest to WoW did this because they were tired of constant grouping even to kill normal mobs which were considered gray to them (unless they were solo class), and each player in same zone with you = high risk of "train" (who played - will understand). Even Sony realized this and introduced mercs in one of EQ expansions. Results of CRZ backlash will soon show themselves unless Blizzard will start hiding sub-numbers or will move game more to micro-transaction based model.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2012-11-08 at 07:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To fix the problem needs a better bandaid than opening the doors for appearances.
    I would advise you to go back and reconsider your post in that case which was all about new players, appearances and how those appearances can negatively affect perceptions. It's not just chat channels, it's also people wandering around in leveling zones. Totally empty zones do not look good or healthy.

Your own words from 75 minutes ago:
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-11-08 at 07:30 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    With WoW being in its mature phase of its life cycle, garnering new players is always nice but its more about retention, you get a new player you potential get 3 new players if you lose a player you may lose more than 3 players. So what we'll see is pretty much blizzard making the game "easy to walk away from and easy to come back too" rather than how it was in the beginning "easy to come to but hard to walk away from". The audience that blizzard would like to have are those former players since they are most likely to come back, which means few dollars spent acquiring new players through adverts.

Yesterday there was a post about that conference call on frontpage. Where did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    Despite how people want to spin it, it's evident that the game isn't experiencing a growth surge. So when the growing stops, the shrinking begins. How fast will the shrink be? That's what we will see as each fiscal quarter's results are reported. People will sooner or later come to terms with the game they know and love is dying, it has been since it went live. Everything dies. Ultima Online is still dying...so is Everquest.

But if you love WoW and your life is so intertwined with it that naysayers and discussion about subscriber losses really upsets you, then perhaps consider seeing a doctor to get a little help.

The lack of actual subscriber totals being reported, and the evasive answers when questioned about China's performance (he spouts off about hitting a million concurrent users at a single point in time, which doesn't indicate a whole lot for financials) it's clear that the big picture isn't as beautiful as they'd hoped.
    Adding 1 million players after losing 3 million isn't growth? What?

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:45 AM ----------

Not on the cover of those reports. Heck, no. They don't discuss the sub loss in any detail. You have to dig for it.
    What sub loss? You do realize subscriptions went up right? Yes obviously some NA/EU accounts were lost in favor of Asian accounts but paying accounts are paying accounts and profit is profit. Again the situation was explained to the shareholders you just refuse to see it because it eats you up knowing the game isn't dead yet and won't be for quite some time.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:47 AM ----------

Don't know if Blizzard counts different accounts on one Battle.net account as separate or not. If they did, that will inflate the numbers even more.

As our computers get more power we can run more than one client at a time. Was running 3 at a time when I was subscribed (until CRZ made that impossible, thus I unsubbed), and there's more and more doing the same.
    For the eternally stupid it needs to be pointed out yet again: paying accounts are paying accounts regardless of where they are from, who they are, why they pay, or how many accounts they own.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:48 AM ----------

Investment.

You invest not only money, you invest time and effort. If the subs aren't enough for you to enjoy end-game...now you see why it's important.

I was spending $45/mon on WoW. You bet I have an interest if it's worth ever continuing, or write WoW off as a loss.
    You are NOT an investor simply because you play the game. You seriously need a reality check here.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:49 AM ----------

Should even read even the Blue posts, because YOU don't even make any sense to them.

Even they acknowledge the zone change delays.

So stop with the BS already.
    I multibox and I haven't had any problems with cross realm zones whatsoever. So again what the fuck are you on about? Do you even know? I doubt it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:53 AM ----------

And you are a flat out liar. You damn well know you were posting in the previous earnings call thread with your nonsense. In fact I think you were even banned as a result. ALso enjoying the game and saying positive things about it isn't fanboyism. If you hate the game you have no business being on these forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Yesterday there was a post about that conference call on frontpage. Where did it go?
    Was wondering the same myself. Went on MMO Champion and after scrolling down and up and down and up....Blizz Earning Calls were always big things for fan base and now smbody remove it form front page for what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    This expansion isn't as appealing to western players and I think we'll see some fall out in the west. Now the asian market may love it and time will tell if their will be an increase that may or may not be their strategy. Yes that is just my opinion.
    I think it's VERY appealing. It's very different. The Asian theme and art work is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harosh View Post
    Was wondering the same myself. Went on MMO Champion and after scrolling down and up and down and up....Blizz Earning Calls were always big things for fan base and now smbody remove it form front page for what reason?
    Chaud can u answer this?

It is somewhat concerning that they didn't say much.
    On the other hand, just 1 week before ending the quarter, there was this press-release.
    Maybe that is the reason they didn't announce numbers? Who knows?

I was looking on the frontpage for news about the call but strangely nothing.
    It seems everything is being kept behind doors this time around.