Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Chi Burst utilization

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could offer some information. I searched around the forums and haven't seen this discussion really be addressed. I have been thourghly studying logs from various mistweaver monks and comparing them with myself. In this I discovered many of the better mistweavers are using Chi Burst and it is generating a lot of hps. Realizing this, I tried implementing it into my rotation but am struggling to do so efficently. Often times, depending on the encounter, I can not figure out how to get the best coverage efficently. I understand this is a situational ability and may not be suited for particualr fights. Any advice would be great.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's basically only good when the raid is stacked in either 1 (or 2 groups) and you can position yourself on one side of the stack with a target on the other side to aim at and a way to generate chi reliably. When the raid is spread out, stick with Uplift.

Examples:
    Feng: If your tank misses an interrupt on Epicenter, stand behind the group, target Feng, SCK for Chi (preferably have 2+ going into the phase) and spam Chi Burst to dump.
    Spirit Kings: When stacked for Qiang's massive attacks, stand behind the group and SCK (or Jab if you can get range and be behind the group) for chi with Chi Burst as a dump targetting Qiang.
    Elegon phase 3: Stand behind the group, target Elegon, SCK or Jab for chi, Chi Burst as a dump. If you stack separate ranged and melee groups, you can stand with the ranged and SCK for Chi and fire through the ranged and melee to Elegon. (assuming the ranged and melee are both behind him)

It's not going to be as great on 10 man, because Uplift should cover the entire raid and do comparable healing, without worrying about positioning.

Also you can target your own statue for the burst. Could be helpful sometimes.

Edit: Above poster beat me to it.

I read in a previous thread on the matter that you can aim it at your statue. Whether this remains true or not I don't know. Haven't tested because I play BrM and haven't used Chi Burst myself really. But the idea is that when the raid is stacked you may use your statue as a target in order to ensure that it travels through the entire bunch of people rather than hit one which is standing in front of everyone else. I apologize in advance if it has been changed or is untrue. Just wanted to bring it to the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spending 27k mana to reposition the statue for Chi Burst seems like a waste...

Either the boss or the tank provide very good usually stationary targets to aim the burst at. If you're running 25 man, the melee group is generally enough targets to justify using Chi Burst (only needs to be 6 or more, provided they're all actually damaged). Personally, I prefer targeting the tank because it will heal him as well and targeting the boss doesn't always hit melee that might be standing inside its hitbox. Unfortunately for 10 man, you can only really use it when the whole group is stacked up, otherwise just using Uplift is generally better.

Great, I appreciate all the advice. I still feel after I RnM full raid, jab within range, uplift when avail still doesnt give me the same numbers that other monks are expierencing. An example fight where I just can't seem to compete with other Monks, ie. Feng at 46k where most monk's are 55k plus. Mind you this is 25 man. Let me know what you think.

I always figure out who's the Mage (even better if they have a Water Elemental) or the appropriate "never gets close" ranged raid member and then spam it towards them from next to the tank or slightly reposition to make sure I get a close-to-maximum number of targets. In LFR, Chi Burst is often my #2 heal on the meters.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kameha View Post
    Great, I appreciate all the advice. I still feel after I RnM full raid, jab within range, uplift when avail still doesnt give me the same numbers that other monks are expierencing. An example fight where I just can't seem to compete with other Monks, ie. Feng at 46k where most monk's are 55k plus. Mind you this is 25 man. Let me know what you think.
    Are you behind the other healers in your raid? Are people dying? How many healers are you running? You're going to get lower numbers compared to groups that take more damage and/or run fewer healers. For example, on Feng, if your tanks are good at interrupting the Epicenter, then you will do less healing than a group who eats the non-bubbled epicenters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Spending 27k mana to reposition the statue for Chi Burst seems like a waste...
    wtf BrM's get a free Ox Statue (30 sec CD) seems unfair to make it cost so much mana for MW.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Deleted
    Does anyone have any solid numbers on how many targets it currently needs to hit to be better than an uplift, I mainly play BrM so on the few fights I am getting to heal atm, I'll be honest I have never managed to use it. I'm pretty sure the fights I heal aren't great for it, but no harm in knowing for future, fairly certain I will be healing Garalon as it sucks to tank as a monk thanks to avoidance doing nothing and the healing is crazy high, especially when you are learning the fight, so MW heaven.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    wtf BrM's get a free Ox Statue (30 sec CD) seems unfair to make it cost so much mana for MW.
    Ox Statue mostly provides utility that doesn't directly impact the Brewmaster's primary role.

Serpent Statue provides a significant healing increase.

Are you behind the other healers in your raid? Are people dying? How many healers are you running? You're going to get lower numbers compared to groups that take more damage and/or run fewer healers. For example, on Feng, if your tanks are good at interrupting the Epicenter, then you will do less healing than a group who eats the non-bubbled epicenters.
    6 heals, people aren't dieing, but can't keep up with the Holy Priest and Holy Paladin.
    Last edited by Kameha; 2012-11-08 at 12:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Serpent Statue provides a significant healing increase.
    But it's still considered a mandatory party of the healing cycle for MW right? What about the first HoF boss do you have to recast per platform or will a centralized statue catch all 3?

Just seems to unfairly punish fights that involve a lot of movement around the arena.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kameha View Post
    6 heals, people aren't dieing, but can't keep up with the Holy Priest and Holy Paladin.
    I'd say except for a few fights, Chi Burst isn't going to give you such a huge advantage over them. If you can provide some logs, I'd be willing to take a look and see if I can find something you're overlooking. You should be handily beating them on Feng and Elegon, even without Chi Burst. Although, with 6 good healers, you're definitely in danger of having too much healing, and then the healing numbers come down to who snipes heals best (although Renewing Mist + Uplift is great at this).

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 09:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    But it's still considered a mandatory party of the healing cycle for MW right? What about the first HoF boss do you have to recast per platform or will a centralized statue catch all 3?

Just seems to unfairly punish fights that involve a lot of movement around the arena.
    Sure, it punishes us on some fights, but Vorlok is a pretty extreme example. For most fights, there's a decent place you can leave it for most or all of the fight.

Deleted
    On Elegon last night, I didn't Chi Burst at all: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/1uymn...&e=13692#Sanzk and still ranked 3rd in world on world of logs. This was 10 man mind you so if it's 25 man you may want to use it if your uplift isn't rolling on a few members.

I'd say except for a few fights, Chi Burst isn't going to give you such a huge advantage over them. If you can provide some logs, I'd be willing to take a look and see if I can find something you're overlooking. You should be handily beating them on Feng and Elegon, even without Chi Burst. Although, with 6 good healers, you're definitely in danger of having too much healing, and then the healing numbers come down to who snipes heals best (although Renewing Mist + Uplift is great at this).
    Unfortuantly, I can not link a log due to my low amount of posts. But, I can direct you were to go; much apologizes. US-Lightbringer Guild: Delusions (Alliance) Char: Kameh .... We did 25 man normal Vaults last night, I did great on Elegon, but the holy paladin wasn't there and I got three upgrades. Let me know what you think, but overall the past few weeks I feel I just don't compare to other mistweavers. Thanks for helping out by the way.

Deleted
    I follow this:

Everyone in raid is stacked, everyone is getting dmg, and renewing mist is on less then 10 targets(no Thunder Tea used)---> Chi Burst
    Any other situation, or renewing on 13+ targets(after Thunder Tea)--> Uplift.

Chi Burst only has chance to outperform Uplift when everyone who gets hit by that was injured, and Renewing is not spread out to max targets. But it definitely has it uses, especially when you only have Renewing on like 4 targets(after phase transitions, etc...) and you need to pump out AoE heal now, not after 15 secs when you have max targets affected my Renewing Mist.
    Last edited by mmoc16a8f9d66b; 2012-11-08 at 07:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dude your Holy Paladin and Holy Priest are ranking top 25 for their spec. I think part of it is that you're just playing with some excellent healers.

Comparing our parses (our guilds look like they're about even on progression), the one big thing I noticed is that you're doing about 5 times as much Spinning Crane Kick as me, and it's like 50-70% overheal on many fights. I'm using jab a lot more to generate chi, even in AoE healing situations and keeping up Serpent's Zeal for a lot of passive smart healing.

@Daredalus: Chi Burst isn't really great in 10m, where you can have Renewing Mist on your entire raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenx View Post
    I follow this:

Everyone in raid is stacked, everyone is getting dmg, and renewing mist is on less then 10 targets(no Thunder Tea used)---> Chi Burst
    Any other situation, or renewing on 13+ targets(after Thunder Tea)--> Renewing Mists.

Chi Burst only has chance to outperform Uplift when everyone who gets hit by that was injured, and Renewing is not spread out to max targets. But it definitely has it uses, especially when you only have Renewing on like 4 targets(after phase transitions, etc...) and you need to pump out AoE heal now, not after 15 secs when you have max targets affected my Renewing Mist.
    Wow, awesome reply - I'm still learning to play my monk and have learned a bunch from ur reply