Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Almost lost my job because of Internet

Hi guys,

I just want to tell you that everybody must be careful with Internet at work. In the last months, I've been browsing a lot of forums at work because we had a lot of downtime. I was reading MMO Champion, Reddit, Gw2 Guru, etc...

Then, I had a meeting with my managers. I got suspended for 5 days and I can tell you that they were the worst days of my life. I realised that if I lose my job, I lose everything. I lose my car, I lose my appartment, I lose everything. And there is a high chance that I go bankrupt because when you're fired because of misconduct, you don't have access to unemployment benefits and it's harder to find a new job.

I've been reinstated today but I had to work really hard. Being suspended is not fun.

I guess it's a warning for all of you guys.

cheers

Misleading headline?
    You didn't almost lose your job because of the internet but because of your behaviour.

So... Thanks for warning us that doing work at work, instead of browsing forums is what they expect?

Deleted
    lol. it's not internet's fault, it's your fault. learn not to slack on your job, or do it in a way no one will find out.

What for Exactly ?

Being on MMO-Champ to often ?
    or
    Not doing work ?

Surely that can't expect much from you if there is a lack of work ???

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    Misleading headline?
    You didn't almost lose your job because of the internet but because of your behaviour.
    this pretty much sums it up, its not the internets fault you were doing somthing at your work that your not suposed to

10+ Year Old Account
    The previous job I had where I had the possibilities of surfing the web, we were told to write 10 sites we might use during low peek / downtime.
    But yeah, you need to watch out. All depending what company you work at, they have different policy. Mostly it's because companies take their clients/Customers for a tour sometimes.

But glad you didn't lose your job, man. It's gold. Once you have a job, it's important to keep it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    is it against company policy for you to be browsing the internet while at work? if so then theres nothing/no one to blame (and most certainly not the internet) but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    So... Thanks for warning us that doing work at work, instead of browsing forums is what they expect?
    I know man, but like I said, we had a lot of downtime in the last months. I was doing my job fine. You must be carful with Internet at work, it's the only thing I have to say.

Lol wow, most places have a policy stating that is not allowed posted somewhere. Hell I have had to initial contracts stating the work internet is not for personal use so you only have yorself to blame, not your boss or management.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    is it against company policy for you to be browsing the internet while at work? if so then theres nothing/no one to blame (and most certainly not the internet) but yourself.
    Look, I know it's my fault and I can only blame myself. I'm just saying to be careful with Internet at work.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Look, I know it's my fault and I can only blame myself. I'm just saying to be careful with Internet at work.
    i wasnt trying to come off as a dick, so i apologize if i came off that way, the title is a misleading however, you shouldnt really blame the internet

I assume you have the internet for work purposes only. Remember, access to the net at work means they can see everything you do. That's common sense.

Deleted
    /gkick morogth

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I see nothing wrong with browsing when there's actually nothing to do. That happens.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    i wasnt trying to come off as a dick, so i apologize if i came off that way, the title is a misleading however, you shouldnt really blame the internet
    Sorry for the misleading title I guess.

Man that is a misleading headline, there. You mean you almost lost your job because you were using company time to browse on the internet, lol

BUt stuff like that will put it in perspective for you! I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I see nothing wrong with browsing when there's actually nothing to do. That happens.
    That's the real problem here. You must be really sure that your company policies are ok with that. Mine were not.

Deleted
    Thanks for the warning but I work in a place that actually gives a fuck about me and has need of me being there, so I won't get suspended unless I really drop the ball.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    From time to time, that happens. Of course, before browsing, I ask all my co-workers if they need help on any task. If not, I ask my boss for more things to do.