Thread: Map of Racism

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Map of Racism

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1199402

Interesting. Also note they called him a monkey, since some people had no clue monkey can be used derogatorily towards a person whose black, appears black, or is mixed.

Deleted
    I'm sure this is going to bring some insults, flaming, etc, so warning.

Do not flame, make any racist insults, or anything that could get you infracted or that is forbidden in MMO-Champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I don't see this thread lasting long before locked...

I think the most surprising thing to me was that there were states that didn't have any racist tweets -- although with a 365 number sample the whole entire thing is a bit dubious.

It really just comes down to societal culture and norms. In some areas those norms are more forgiving of racism than others.

EDIT -- also, I'm curious -- would a black person using the n-word in a positive manner count as a racist tweet just because it used the n-word or is the intent taken into account?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

some of those hotspots were surprisingly competitive. others are no surprise whatsoever

It would be interesting to see the breakout of which groups the tweets were being racist against.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 09:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I think the most surprising thing to me was that there were states that didn't have any racist tweets -- although with a 365 number sample the whole entire thing is a bit dubious.
    No one lives in those states? Either that or they are very ethnically homogenous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is interesting, but I don't think judging from Twitter really gives us accurate numbers.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

I'd like to see that same map adjusted for population density.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raechuul View Post
    I think this is interesting, but I don't think judging from Twitter really gives us accurate numbers.
    I agree, im sure there were many more unfortunately.

Wow - one must have to be very angry to tweet from your hotel/timeshare in Cancún.

10+ Year Old Account
    Map looks about right. Just what I expected.

I call Bullsh!t... my friends and I refer to each other as "nigga's", "porch monkeys", "fags" and the like all the time. It doesn't mean anything without connotation. Saying it's racist or hate speech in a vacuum is just asinine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    I'd like to see that same map adjusted for population density.
    It's adjusted for tweet density.

http://www.floatingsheep.org/2012/11...sponse-to.html are the creators of the map, with a little more methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I call Bullsh!t... my friends and I refer to each other as "nigga's", "porch monkeys", "fags" and the like all the time. It doesn't mean anything without connotation. Saying it's racist or hate speech in a vacuum is just asinine.
    http://jezebel.com/5958490/twitter-r...cted/gallery/1 is the article that started it, apparently.
    It has a nice collection of tweets from racist idiots. Can't read them and deny they're from racists. Well, maybe you can, I always underestimate human self-deception.

Michelle's great granddaddy maybe, not Barack's.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-11-09 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    http://www.floatingsheep.org/2012/11...sponse-to.html are the creators of the map, with a little more methodology.
    http://jezebel.com/5958490/twitter-r...cted/gallery/1 is the article that started it, apparently.
    It has a nice collection of tweets from racist idiots. Can't read them and deny they're from racists.

Michelle's great granddaddy maybe, not Barack's.
    this is the real reason there will never be a klansman comedian. they just arent funny

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1199402

Interesting. Also note they called him a monkey, since some people had no clue monkey can be used derogatorily towards a person whose black, appears black, or is mixed.
    racism got obama elected. the blacks who voted for obama because he is half black are as bad as the whites who didn't vote for obama because he's half black

in the SE racism isn't really a big issue, it's all behind the back stuff, racism isn't accepted out in the open. i'm around white rednecks every day, you'll hear some racist shit on a regular basis, the word nigger is common, when a black person is around, that stuff isn't said or even insinuated. they don't REALLY have a problem with black people or mexicans, they are just raised to say stuff like they do

it's not REALLY racism, it's more like talking behind someone's back and the black folks will do it too although i'll hear less of it since i'm white and they're not gonna come out and talk shit about white people in front of white people. had a black friend who would tell me what was said and i'd tell her what the white folks said that day, it was funny. same with mexicans, the shit they write in the port-a-johns aren't how they react to you in person

people just don't REALLY care, but they feel pressured while growing up to pretend they do.

it's a slap in the face of every black person who got hosed down in alabama during the 60s to call today's dickheaded attitudes 'racism'

racism got obama elected
    As much as its possible to do studies on these things most studies indicate that race actually hurt Obama in 2008.

15+ Year Old Account

Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-11-09 at 10:03 PM.

How's that 60 year old Civil Rights Amendment doing at eradicating racism in the South?

Terribly? Well jeez.

Racists in the south east US?! Well color me purple! What a surprise!

Only 365 tweets though. That's a ridiculously small number compared to Twitter's user base. If those were all the racist tweets that were written at that point, I tend to think of that as progress. In any case, it's just not a good enough sample size to make any kind of conclusion.