Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for build advice.

Okay so I'm currently working with these parts which I apparently can't link to so.

Processor - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
    Motherboard -ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Case - NZXT Crafted Series Phantom Black / Green Trim Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
    Power Supply - CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Hard Drive - Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (X2)
    Video Card - ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I think. Honestly, I'm about eight years removed from the last time I built a computer instead of bought one, so I'm muddling through this like a not-quite-newbie. I am looking to play WoW, Skyrim, probably SWTOR, a few other new games, so I'm aiming for something relatively powerful and current.

Also do sound cards all have universally bad reviews? Good lord. I just need something that will do surround sound, I have no idea what to pick, everything I looked at included a ton of doom reviews.

1300 is actually kind of expensive but I'll admit I'm hoping to grab some parts on sale since it happens to be November!

Uhm.

Not sure what else you need to know. Just looking for advice/corrections/input.

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately new profiles tend to lack the ability to post links for their first few posts.
    Anyways, computer building is easier then ever.

When it comes to sound cards, take all reviews with a grain of salt. Most people are bad when it comes to sound, and even worse when it comes to managing drivers for their sound cards. For all things audio, I highly recommend you refer to overclock.net's sound card and computer audio forum. You will find a ton of sound enthusiasts with a ridiculous amount of experience that are more then willing to guide you in the right direction there. They have a most recommended audio products list which they update consistently as well.

You can get a pretty beast build for 1300. However, a few quick questions. Do you need an operating system, do you need peripherals/monitor or are you just looking to spend 1300 on the computer itself minus peripherals? Do you plan on overclocking anything? And finally, what resolution are you aiming to game on?

I assume this budget is going to include a sound card as well. Which can range from cheap to somewhat costly. For example, I spent $160 on my Xonar essence STX card and I love it. It drives my DT 770 pro headphones perfectly and sounds absolutely amazing compared to cheap sound solutions I used in the past.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2012-11-01 at 07:20 AM.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Hi! Thanks. I'll take a look over there, I'm not looking for anything special with a sound card, I have a ten year old surround sound system that does everything I need so I mostly just need a regular 'supports five channel...dolby...' thing. Good lord, I have been out of this game far too long. I don't need peripherals, I'm replacing a desktop that is no longer agreeing with me. I have two monitors, one of which is a 24 inch that does...1920 by 1280? And an old school 19inch I use for web browsing that does 1280 by...something. Standard old school 19 inch max resolution. 1280 by 1040 I think? It's not actually on at the moment because of the disagreement we are having. And I have everything else, keyboard and mouse and external HD and such.

I do need an OS, which I budgeted as Windows 7 Home premium 64, but I did include that in my 1300 dollar figure (which would make more sense if it had let me link the newegg wish list I had made.) The only thing I didn't include was the sound card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will recommend a whole seperate build is because most of your parts are imbalanced/not needed - e.g. the i7 3770K is identical to i5 3570K in games, P8Z77-V Pro is overkill/too expensive, power supply is definitely not recommended (plus it's not modular) stay away from the CX series, GPU could use a bit more meat on it, etc.

Taken from Marest's Sample Builds sticky with a few adjustments from me (note: prices may not be 100% accurate):

MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4$134.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k$229.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 2x4GB$38.99
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670$359.99
    SSD: Samsung 830 128GB$108.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB$109.99
    PSU: Corsair TX650M$89.99 Review
    Heatsink: NZXT Havik$58.99
    Case: CM Storm Enforcer$84.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – ~$1217

This is pretty much a beast of a build which will easily handle all current games (MMO's, first person shooters, whatever) with plenty of OC room. It also sports a 128gb SSD which will pretty much mean your system will be rocket-speedy and stay that way for years to come.

Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-02 at 06:04 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I will recommend a whole seperate build is because most of your parts are imbalanced/not needed - e.g. the i7 3770K is identical to i5 3570K in games, P8Z77-V Pro is overkill/too expensive, power supply is definitely not recommended (plus it's not modular) stay away from the CX series, GPU could use a bit more meat on it, etc.

Taken from Marest's Sample Builds sticky with a few adjustments from me (note: prices may not be 100% accurate):

MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4$134.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k$229.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 2x4GB$38.99
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670$359.99
    SSD: Samsung 830 128GB$108.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB$109.99
    PSU: Corsair TX650M$89.99 Review
    Heatsink: NZXT Havik$58.99
    Case: CM Storm Enforcer$84.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – ~$1217

This is pretty much a beast of a build which will easily handle all current games (MMO's, first person shooters, whatever) with plenty of OC room. It also sports a 128gb SSD which will pretty much mean your system will be rocket-speedy and stay that way for years to come.

This is a quality build though I will still say the PSU is a bit overkill.

Also I am not a huge fan of the CM cases other than Cosmos as they are quite "plastic-y" but that is entirely preference based...they are quite good cases internally.

As an added incentive if you are close to Microcenter (in states) they have a deal where you can get the i5 3570k and a z77 for about $250 total which is a steal.

I am looking at that build and muddling through, thank you! It gives me a better idea what to work with at least, though I'm not a big fan of the way the case looks. I guess I'm picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Targaryen View Post
    As an added incentive if you are close to Microcenter (in states) they have a deal where you can get the i5 3570k and a z77 for about $250 total which is a steal.
    I am near a microcenter, actually, but I don't see any evidence of that deal on their site...

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I can attest to getting the extra $50 off at the microcenter nearest me... (I was on a small road trip of a couple hours and was able to stop in to get the CPU/MB)

They do not readily advertise it on their website. You have to sign up for newsletters/mail flyers to see it.

I digress. The build Xuvial posted is pretty wicked, and I would recommend going with it. Obviously saving a bit and going to microcenter for the 3570k and MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

So far I have the motherboard and processor from that build recommendation (which I picked up at Microcenter!) and 16gb of ram. Trying to pick out a case now...

Is there any reason not to use the heatsink that came with the processor?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dalrint View Post
    So far I have the motherboard and processor from that build recommendation (which I picked up at Microcenter!) and 16gb of ram. Trying to pick out a case now...

Is there any reason not to use the heatsink that came with the processor?
    it is loud and cools horrible with even a minor oc on it (and ivy tends to run hotter)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm in retrospect my link to the "TX650M" is actually leading to a regular TX650 which isn't modular. Having trouble finding a modular/semi-modular PSU in the 500w-650w range that isn't too expensive...hmm what to recommend...j

edit: OCZ ModXStream doesn't look *too* terrible, you get a semi-modular 600w for $70-75. I can't find the Seasonic M12D series in stock anywhere.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-06 at 12:15 AM.

Hmm in retrospect my link to the "TX650M" is actually leading to a regular TX650 which isn't modular. Having trouble finding a modular/semi-modular PSU in the 500w-650w range that isn't too expensive...hmm what to recommend...j

edit: OCZ ModXStream doesn't look *too* terrible, you get a semi-modular 600w for $70-75. I can't find the Seasonic M12D series in stock anywhere.
    Seasonic M12ii 520W currently $70 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151093

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Seasonic M12ii 520W currently $70 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151093
    Whoa, buy it buy it buy it! 520w is more than enough for an i5 3570K + GTX670 build (especially 520w of Seasonic power!) but keep in mind OP won't be able to add another 670 in the future.

Okay, so I bought that power supply, just doing odds and ends now like...uh...the case...

I'm looking for something relatively easy to work with in a mid or, if necessary, full tower. I prefer top-mounted power supplies mostly because bottom mounted power supplies make no sense to me outside of balance reasons. And it seems really picky, I guess, but everything I look at seems to have bright red LEDs on it and I think they're terrible. hehe.

I've been looking through them, but whenever I find one I like, it seems like the cons are 'not easy to work with' or 'no cable management' that sort of thing....

Thanks for the help by the way, guys. You're all awesome!

Man, I feel like I'm asking stupid questions now. That power supply I bought, is there any limitation to the number of HDs I can put on it? Like, a SSD and two regular HDs?

Deleted
    Man, I feel like I'm asking stupid questions now. That power supply I bought, is there any limitation to the number of HDs I can put on it? Like, a SSD and two regular HDs?
    I just got mine today, it has 6 SATA connectors, although it only came with 2 cords. So you'll have to get some extra cables, but it will be enough for your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Johri View Post
    I just got mine today, it has 6 SATA connectors, although it only came with 2 cords. So you'll have to get some extra cables, but it will be enough for your setup.
    Okay, awesome. So in theory if I were using three, I would just need to order 1 sata power cable? And presumably it has enough of the other power cables to handle the video card, motherboard and a sound card? I'm not expecting mine until tomorrow. (I am ordering this piecemeal as things are on sale.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, awesome. So in theory if I were using three, I would just need to order 1 sata power cable? And presumably it has enough of the other power cables to handle the video card, motherboard and a sound card? I'm not expecting mine until tomorrow. (I am ordering this piecemeal as things are on sale.)
    Hold up, those "2 cords" that come with the unit each have three sata power connectors on them (confirmed in a review) . So that's 6 hard drives that you can power with the cables that come with the unit, no need to order anything extra. You can power all 3 of your drives with a single cable.

Also yes that unit has more than enough wattage to power everything you mentioned, with overclocking room and more wattage to spare
    Wouldn't have recommended it otherwise.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 03:46 AM ----------

Okay, so I bought that power supply, just doing odds and ends now like...uh...the case...
    I'm looking for something relatively easy to work with in a mid or, if necessary, full tower. I prefer top-mounted power supplies mostly because bottom mounted power supplies make no sense to me outside of balance reasons. And it seems really picky, I guess, but everything I look at seems to have bright red LEDs on it and I think they're terrible. hehe.
    I've been looking through them, but whenever I find one I like, it seems like the cons are 'not easy to work with' or 'no cable management' that sort of thing....
    Thanks for the help by the way, guys. You're all awesome!
    Soz for not answering this earlier, must've missed the post :P
    Firstly, top-mounted power supplies - I can tell you right now you will be very hard-pressed to find a case that still has this, I can think of one or two vague models but wouldn't recommend them. It's a thing of the past, 99% of "performance/gaming" cases have the PSU bottom-mounted. It's just how it is now : /

Secondly you're not the only one who thinks LED's look silly/tacky, lots of people here have the same idea and case companies understand...so here are a some options that are sleek & simplistic-looking yet have have great features, room and decent-ish cable management:

Fractal Design Arc Midi - $69 - considered one of the best budget gaming cases
    Corsair Carbide 300R - $75 - great case for the price
    NZXT Phantom (ALL variants): $90 - $120 - these are all more or less the same, varying in colors and size, all are great
    Lian-Li PC-7B - $99 - this is an aluminum case i.e. high build quality and super lightweight
    Antec P280 - $110 - quite large for a mid tower
    Fractal Design R4 (ALL variants) - $110-120 - amazing case loaded with features, VERY popular with builders

By the way cases like CM Storm Enforcer has an LED on/off switch so with a push of a button you can turn it into a non-LED case. I have something similar going on with my build...using an NZXT LED kit which has an on/off switch to make my build either look like a christmas tree, or totally dark :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-10 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    Hold up, those "2 cords" that come with the unit each have three sata power connectors on them (confirmed in a review) . So that's 6 hard drives that you can power with the cables that come with the unit, no need to order anything extra. You can power all 3 of your drives with a single cable.

Also yes that unit has more than enough wattage to power everything you mentioned, with overclocking room and more wattage to spare
    Wouldn't have recommended it otherwise.
    My bad, was thinking of something completely different- the power cords that come with the PSU do indeed have multiple connectors, above poster is absolutely right. I was thinking of the cables to connect the actual SATA devices to your Motherboard.

What do you guys think of this case? Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(I Still can't post links, but that's it's product name on newegg.)

Deleted
    What do you guys think of this case? Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(I Still can't post links, but that's it's product name on newegg.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...el%20structure

Looks pretty good, even though I think it still has the LEDs but I guess if you chose it yourself you're content with them being there
    Last edited by mmoc949fb35bb5; 2012-11-10 at 11:51 PM.