Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the game is still popular in regards to active players, but the overall interest in the game is in decline quite rapidly. Think fencers got it right when she said there isnt really any wolrd firsts, or boss videos etc, all you have is PvP because noone really wants to watch zerg runs in explorable dungeons. I feel the game is at its plateu already, I dont see huge numbers coming in, I think numbers may dwindle a little but it will keep a core base of 1-2million.

My boss at work was really into GW2, then he hit level 80 and was like "There's no end game, now I don't really have anything else to do with my character". He didn't say he was quitting, but he did ask me if I know when SWTOR was going free to play and what my thoughts on MoP were...

Deleted
    Its easy:

People watched GW2 for the PvP.
    Arenanet does not provide proper incentive after getting the look you want.
    People dont PvP anymore.
    Twitch viewers drop.

People playing the game normally are not really affected by that but GW2 is not that exciting to watch in PvE

Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    I can concur that interest in this game has decreased a lot. I played it and got bored after 3 weeks. I also know a bunch of people leaving GW2 to come back to games such as Mists of Pandaria and Rift: Storm Legion. In addition, Elder Scrolls Online is down the road and that series alone also has a large fan base.

And i've seen a huge increase on many server of people who left those games... and all servers are still "full" even after they made more space on the servers for people, the reason people aren't watching is probably because they're playing the game instead and enjoying it, GW2 you don't watch videos on how others play, it looks boring, but when you play it yourself it's quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    My boss at work was really into GW2, then he hit level 80 and was like "There's no end game, now I don't really have anything else to do with my character". He didn't say he was quitting, but he did ask me if I know when SWTOR was going free to play and what my thoughts on MoP were...
    There's lots to do at endgame, except crappy gated raids, if he wants that he can choose freely to play WoW/rift/SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    Its easy:

People watched GW2 for the PvP.
    Arenanet does not provide proper incentive after getting the look you want.
    People dont PvP anymore.
    Twitch viewers drop.

People playing the game normally are not really affected by that but GW2 is not that exciting to watch in PvE
    Arenanet provide excellent incentives to play, most don't play because they want to have gear that 1 shots others instead of actually improving their own skill, and PvP has the same amount of matches going on since release.... so yes people still PvP alot.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Well, the game is still popular in regards to active players, but the overall interest in the game is in decline quite rapidly. Think fencers got it right when she said there isnt really any wolrd firsts, or boss videos etc, all you have is PvP because noone really wants to watch zerg runs in explorable dungeons. I feel the game is at its plateu already, I dont see huge numbers coming in, I think numbers may dwindle a little but it will keep a core base of 1-2million.
    Again, i see more and more people coming into servers and into the game than going (this is true for most of the guilds i am in) also those not interested in the game should have done some research probably what the game is about, it's about improving your own skills rather than getting some gear that let's you 1 shot anything you come across, so the longevity is quite stunning since you will never outlevel anything in this game, dungeons also has a decent learning curve, they're not hard, but they're not easy either, the dungeons in GW is a little less hard than TBC heroics was, but way harder than how the rest has been ever since.
    Last edited by Salech; 2012-11-10 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    I can concur that interest in this game has decreased a lot. I played it and got bored after 3 weeks. I also know a bunch of people leaving GW2 to come back to games such as Mists of Pandaria and Rift: Storm Legion. In addition, Elder Scrolls Online is down the road and that series alone also has a large fan base.
    I can't wait for ESO, and as long as it has no monthly fee I will be playing it alongside GW2. I hope they follow in ANets footsteps. It would be really cool, 2 major releases with no monthly would be pretty massive. I mostly just wanna dive into all the lore and see how they do all the area's taken from the single player games, from what they've released so far (pre-alpha) it looks amazing. But leaving for MoP? hah... that's a good one.

OT: People are probably, idk, playing the game at this point? The only reason I'd watch a stream is to see how the game is before playing it myself, much like I look up gameplay on youtube a lot on a game I am thinking about buying. I was watching GW2 streams 24/7 in the days before its release (developer streams) haven't even given it a thought to go to a stream now that I have the game.. what's the point?
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2012-11-10 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I keep wondering the same thing about guilds. Maybe everyone is leaving guilds to just join big mega guilds? I dunno. What I do know is that all the guilds that I knew people in or came to play with are now all disbanded and the people I knew have left. =(
    It could also do with the fact his guild has oh, idk 18 people, oh no!! 17 people aren't playing anymore!! And btw, he blacked out when it says they were last online for all we know that was taken at 4am when normal people are sleeping!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

A lot of our friends left GW2 for good, about 10 or so in total. They just lost interest in the game and went back to Rift, Tera or WoW, respectively. However, most of our guildmates from Guild Wars 1 log in at least once a week to GW2.

Our guild is small, less than 30 people. But it's pretty reflective of what I suspected pre-launch; bandwagoners fall off at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    retro games have more appeal to viewers they give a sense of nostalgia unlike the newer games like gw2 which after a few weeks i just lost interest in and most games for that matter

btw the guild thing might be coz people are leaving for bigger more active guilds or even servers since its STILL free to change server as much as you want even though they said it would only be for one week after launch

personally PSO2 looks promising as i found out PSU shutdown not too long ago and i planned to go back but ended up waiting too long
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-11-10 at 04:08 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play GW2 a ton and haven't seen actual in-game popularity drop at all. As others have said, people cannot even transfer across most servers because the populations are high and capped even at 4am. Queue times for wvw with hundreds of players are 3+ hours at times. There are always still tons of people at events out in leveling zones out in the world and lots of people in Lion's Arch. Also, the economy hasn't changed dramatically. That's a lot more solid evidence than 1 guy posting that his 18 (sorry, but that's not good) member guild is empty or going off of streamed tv counts. My guild isn't even very large and has at least 30+ people online most times.

In fact posts like this are why I don't check-in to the forums here much. There are plenty of less biased forums. Half of the OP here look like they are from competitors or trolling, "GW2 is dying" "What happened" "Where did it go wrong". The actual truth is about the only people that have left GW2 recently are bots, because Anet just did a huge ban wave. Some people may have left and that's expected with any new game. There are people that don't play games for more than a few weeks before moving on to other new games, especially this time of year with lots of huge A titles being released. But that hasn't been anything even noticeable, and definitely not a big exodus.

BTW, there is another event coming up next week which looks like it will be adding a new zone. Servers were especially packed in last month's event. It's awesome to see Anet both care about bots and adding new content monthly. The game's far from perfect and there are some things I'd like to see changed still, but imo the good outweighs the bad.

I played it until about 80, did a fair amount of pvp then just got extremely bored I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    I've seen plenty of people saying this.
    I don't get it.
    GW2 - You only need a party for pvp and dungeons, it's a solo game, offline game, etc.
    Other MMOs - You only need a party for pvp and raids, it's a true mmo experience, a social game, etc.

Anyone care to enlight me?
    the whole event thing is bout as "massively multiplayer" as it gets but after getting one char to 80 ive had enough of the events and just wish i could quest my way to 80 the idea of the downleveling for lower level areas or quests sounded like a better idea than it is as my god it makes the game dull id rather blow through the low level areas to get the damn world completion thing done and not ahve to worry about a level 32 wolf owning me as my level 80 gear does fuck all

Deleted
    People hit level 80 and soon realized there was no long lasting endgame content, especially for the PvE side of the game. This was always the main fear when reading everything about Guild Wars 2 so i wasn't that surprised but it's without a monthly fee so my character is sitting there at level 80 waiting to see if any nice updates get added to the game.

Slightly off topic but Elder Scrolls Online looks promising, it uses some of the better systems from Guild Wars 2 (dynamic questing and mass world pvp) while also adding the classic MMO features such as endgame raiding and dungeons.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2012-11-10 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I play GW2 a ton and haven't seen actual in-game popularity drop at all. As others have said, people cannot even transfer across most servers because the populations are high and capped even at 4am. Queue times for wvw with hundreds of players are 3+ hours at times. There are always still tons of people at events out in leveling zones out in the world and lots of people in Lion's Arch. Also, the economy hasn't changed dramatically. That's a lot more solid evidence than 1 guy posting that his 18 (sorry, but that's not good) member guild is empty or going off of streamed tv counts. My guild isn't even very large and has at least 30+ people online most times.

In fact posts like this are why I don't check-in to the forums here much. There are plenty of less biased forums. Half of the OP here look like they are from competitors or trolling, "GW2 is dying" "What happened" "Where did it go wrong". The actual truth is about the only people that have left GW2 recently are bots, because Anet just did a huge ban wave. Some people may have left and that's expected with any new game. There are people that don't play games for more than a few weeks before moving on to other new games, especially this time of year with lots of huge A titles being released. But that hasn't been anything even noticeable, and definitely not a big exodus.

BTW, there is another event coming up next week which looks like it will be adding a new zone. Servers were especially packed in last month's event. It's awesome to see Anet both care about bots and adding new content monthly. The game's far from perfect and there are some things I'd like to see changed still, but imo the good outweighs the bad.
    a new zone wouldnt remove the dullness of soloing a game thats meant to be massively multiplayer, sure i see plenty of people but there usually too busy with their own thing. i kinda wish i never bothered with gw2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    It could also do with the fact his guild has oh, idk 18 people, oh no!! 17 people aren't playing anymore!! And btw, he blacked out when it says they were last online for all we know that was taken at 4am when normal people are sleeping!
    Really? What game are you even playing? Nowhere in the guild panel does it say when the player was last online, genius. Here's a new one, with the time on it, if you can actually read it. Everyone in the guild is from the same country, before you start implying we're from different timezones:
    http://i.imgur.com/j8EYQ.jpg

Also, I never said 18 people is a lot. I was pointing out that in a guild made up of pretty much random people (I only knew 2 people IRL, my brother and a friend) only 1 out of 18 people is still playing. What other ridiculous arguments can you come up with? That the the people in my guild had a predisposition for quitting the game?

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I can go to other sites like gw2guru and find all the same posts.

Being in denial about some of the issues in the game won't make them just go away.
    Same was the case with SWTOR: those defending the game were telling the people with complaints that the game was fine and they should leave if they have any issues with it. Now the game's going F2P, not one year after release. Honestly, if Guild Wars 2 had a subscription fee, it would have bitten the dust faster than SWTOR. Why is that? Well, because if SWTOR was overhyped, then Guild Wars 2 was ten times as much. Let's face it: the game turned out a whole lot different than what the manifesto promised. Sure, some people might be satisfied with it as it is, but this doesn't change that fact.
    Last edited by mmoc35bcd2b065; 2012-11-10 at 04:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    gw2 is not a fun game to watch others play
    ^ this as well as the decreased popularity. But I will say watching the pros play Starcraft 2 is quite enjoyable, its pretty much the only esport game i can tolerate watching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    There's lots to do at endgame, except crappy gated raids, if he wants that he can choose freely to play WoW/rift/SWTOR.
    Amen to that.

If you don't like GW2's endgame it's fine, but to say GW2 doesn't have any is simply not true.

would you watch this = "pro player sits in que for 30-40 min and when he finally gets in they abuse bugs and use cheesy tactics"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Amen to that.

If you don't like GW2's endgame it's fine, but to say GW2 doesn't have any is simply not true.
    And what is that? Grind tokens or grind gold? What else is there besides that, as to what concerns PvE?

So, just because now I have to grind for looks instead of stats, I should suddenly be thankful? No thanks.

Deleted
    I've been saying it all along that with no real endgame and no way to progress your char of course people will get bored and every time I said it I got bashed by the fanbois. Interesting too that there are less of them as well now. If you are a completionist then this game is for you but if you want to develop your char in any meaningful way it isn’t and even the “but it’s about exploring, that’s the endgame” people have realized it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Where did the popularity go ?

I'm basing this on the average of twitch.tv stream viewers.
    In the first month Guild Wars 2 averaged around 5000-8000 live viewers at any given time of day.
    Right now there's 80 people watching Guild Wars 2 streams. That's on the same level as Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne and Worms Revolutions.

What do you guys think ?
    People became aware GW2 is not what they expected from the hype and it's actually quite a mediocre MMO ?

Just a thought. I knew GW2 is bad after playing it for just 2 hours when it was released, I didn't need months to learn that.