Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The only thing I dislike about Varian is the 'chosen of the wolf god' thing. It doesn't really fit anywhere but it does go some way to explain why he's so respected by Tyrande and the night elves I suppose. I'm also apparently one of the few who likes his haircut. It's a little anime sure but I don't see it in a Sephiroth-esque pretty boy kind of way. More like a barbarian sword-swinger who's crudely leashed his hair back in an attempt to look slightly more like a king despite being more a warrior than a politician.

I'm gonna get a little RP here, I hope that's OK with everyone. I'm a hordie. An undead specifically. This guy called my leader an evil witch to her face and thinks my home belongs to him and not we who died trying to defend it. I should hate him something awful but I don't really. He's the enemy and I'd kill him with as little hesitation as I'd kill any living man foolish enough to not beware the Forsaken but I think he's a good leader and a good man and if we had one of him in the Horde I'd be happy to follow him. Perhaps current events have made me more appreciative of enemy leadership than I should be though *glances at Garrosh and shakes head*.

To be honest I feel like the Alliance has better characters in general than the Horde right now. I've always liked Sylvanas and Vol'jin but Varian and Jaina have been catching my interest lately in a big way. I've even started to dislike Anduin less having hung out with him a bit in Pandaria.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    Mostly because he was written and rewritten a thousand times by different authors, intended to be anti-Thrall, copied from Conan, cut from cardboard, and what authors wanted to present like feelings and passion, ended up looking like a severe personality disorder. Plus, going super-Saiyan and one-shotting Onyxia... c'mon, that's cheap. Then that scene in ICC, "let a grieveing father pass". IMO, this was the lamest moment in warcraft's history. Lots of bad writing and sudden changes of character. I'm all for a strong and charismatic king for Alliance, but he's got to be consistent and a bit more realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGCxVV8S2Q

but in all seriousness, he's alright as a leader. He's better than garrosh but he's still awfully arrogant and his kid is insufferable

Quote Originally Posted by zacharyk88 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGCxVV8S2Q

but in all seriousness, he's alright as a leader. He's better than garrosh but he's still awfully arrogant and his kid is insufferable
    Nooo! I LOVE Anduin! He's awfully naive, but also clever, nice and honourable.
    And at least he doesn't treat me as shite just because I'm dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    Because he is a human Garrosh, but a bit more subtle
    How is he even close to Garrosh? Garrosh dropped a manabomb on Theramore and then tried to take over the rest of Kalimdor for the Horde. How did Varian ever do something remotely close.

I'm sort of neutral on him actually.

Don't like the whole 'God-Emperor of the Alliance' thing he has going on though.

10+ Year Old Account
    early on? because he disliked the horde and horde players did not like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesker View Post
    The only thing I dislike about Varian is the 'chosen of the wolf god' thing. It doesn't really fit anywhere but it does go some way to explain why he's so respected by Tyrande and the night elves I suppose. I'm also apparently one of the few who likes his haircut. It's a little anime sure but I don't see it in a Sephiroth-esque pretty boy kind of way. More like a barbarian sword-swinger who's crudely leashed his hair back in an attempt to look slightly more like a king despite being more a warrior than a politician.

I'm gonna get a little RP here, I hope that's OK with everyone. I'm a hordie. An undead specifically. This guy called my leader an evil witch to her face and thinks my home belongs to him and not we who died trying to defend it. I should hate him something awful but I don't really. He's the enemy and I'd kill him with as little hesitation as I'd kill any living man foolish enough to not beware the Forsaken but I think he's a good leader and a good man and if we had one of him in the Horde I'd be happy to follow him. Perhaps current events have made me more appreciative of enemy leadership than I should be though *glances at Garrosh and shakes head*.

To be honest I feel like the Alliance has better characters in general than the Horde right now. I've always liked Sylvanas and Vol'jin but Varian and Jaina have been catching my interest lately in a big way. I've even started to dislike Anduin less having hung out with him a bit in Pandaria.
    It's fine to let the Forsaken have their homeland. We can say that it's still rightfully theirs. But the Forsaken are attacking towns, like Southshore, that is still inhabited by the living. And they are killing Alliance soldiers and raising them into undeath. To me it has reached a point where I would say they are no better than the Scourge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Varian Wrynn, it's just I wish he would get out and fight more and just do more than just standing around in his room twirling his thumbs. Hopefully he will when the Horde and Alliance start their invasion on each other which I was told to start next patch or something taking place somewhere in Pandaria.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    It's fine to let the Forsaken have their homeland. We can say that it's still rightfully theirs. But the Forsaken are attacking towns, like Southshore, that is still inhabited by the living. And they are killing Alliance soldiers and raising them into undeath. To me it has reached a point where I would say they are no better than the Scourge.
    Scourge enslaves, Forsaken liberate.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was implemented rather poorly. If you hadn't read the comic (which I doubt all that many did), then he appeared out of nowhere. No quest chain/event/whatever to see the king of Stormwind returned to his throne and introduce players to their new faction leader. As a Horde player, the first time you meet him is when you're busy taking back the Undercity, where his first order of business is to talk a lot of shit to two of your faction leaders and then charge blindly into a fight he can't hope to win. My first thought was something along the lines of, "Did that prick from Warsong Hold reroll Alliance?"

Still, he's improved. They've played up his pretty legit reasoning and motives, and learned to expose him to Alliance players in a more... tender fashion. Pity about this wolf god nonsense though.

Varian is becoming a great leader in Mists of Pandaria. Here is an example from a scenario in Patch 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Then that scene in ICC, "let a grieveing father pass". IMO, this was the lamest moment in warcraft's history.
    I can't agree with that, sorry. I'd put it as one of the most powerful, most humanizing moments in the history of WoW. (That's excluding the RTS games)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Scourge enslaves, Forsaken liberate.
    Yeah by killing people and adding them to their ranks. They turn people into undead. How is that liberating?

Yeah by killing people and adding them to their ranks. They turn people into undead. How is that liberating?
    Beats spending lifetime on farms, being drafted into army and then thrown into mass grave.

You think that every human has same chance at better life like your character? Bullshit.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-11-11 at 10:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Beats spending lifetime on farms, being drafted into army and then thrown into mass grave.

You think that every human has same chance at better life like your character? Bullshit.
    I can't make any sense of that at all, sorry.

I can't make any sense of that at all, sorry.
    Then we have nothing to discuss.

These kinds of threads seem to be popular right now, so I'll take the opportunity to make the most obvious one.

Varian is a strong leader and he has his heart in the right place. He was possessed by the wolf ancient Lo'gosh, but he learned to control his rage. A weaker person would've succumbed to the bloodlust of the ancient. Varian has suffered a lot in his life and most of what he had to endure was because of the orcs. When he was young his father was killed cowardly by Garona, an orc that served as an ambassador between Stormwind and the orcish Horde, but turned on the king, who trusted her. Anduin Lothar, the lion of Azeroth and a friend to his murdered father, was killed on the battlefield by Doomhammer. His friend Arthas, son of King Terenas, who had taken care of him after his father's death, turned on his own people and became the Lich King. Years of battling between the orcs and the humans have brought forth misery and death among his own people, yet he doesn't strafe from his goal. His wife was killed during riots by the Defias, leaving him with his son, the only thing he has left in his life. He was captured by Onyxia and split into two. One half was eventually enslaved by an orc, who forced him to fight as a gladiator. One of the places where he had to fight was Orgrimmar, right under the nose of Thrall. In his absence his son ruled over his people, and Bolvar Fordragon, who was "killed" later by the partnership of the Horde, watched over little Anduin in Varian's absence.

Varian has lost a lot. He has lost a lot of people, who were close to him and he had to fight all his life - against the orcs, for his own freedom and even against his own temper. Still he fights on, to drive those, who threaten the peace of his people, from this world.
    it comes down to him not receiving alot of character development ingame, the majority of people who actually know varians backstory tend to like his character however those who dont know anything about him except what hes done ingame tend to be the ones who dislike him.

the way there treating him in mists is perfect finally giving him some ingame spotlight instead of it being mostly in the books
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    it comes down to him not receiving alot of character development ingame, the majority of people who actually know varians backstory tend to like his character however those who dont know anything about him except what hes done ingame tend to be the ones who dislike him.

the way there treating him in mists is perfect finally giving him some ingame spotlight instead of it being mostly in the books
    I think I can totally agree with that.

TBH they are humans after all and all humans are destined to go to hell so slyvanas gives them a second chance by resurrecting them and letting them be on the winning side

/tongue squarely in cheek