Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Umm, I wasn't replying to any post of yours, so what is all this about? You're making a lot of assumptions yourself. No, I don't consider any game "dead" until it's void of players, or shut down. City of Heroes is dead, for example. That's how *I* perceive something as dead, so don't put words into my mouth.

You find it suspicous that I post positive things about a game I enjoy? Are you paranoid? No, I am not affiliated with ArenaNet or NCSoft in any way. I am a regular person, posting on a forum of a game I enjoy. I did the same during my time in WoW, and nobody threw these assumptions at me then.

I know what the average person means when they say a game is "dead", I just don't agree with it. I do log in every day, and I always see a lot of people. I'm in a very active guild, too. It's hard for me to agree the game is "dead" when I'm surrounded by people and constantly running dungeons/WvW with friends and guildmates.

Also, most of the assumptions I've read that people have made about GW2 "dying" have been either; "It's not like WoW," "It sucks", or "It's boring". I'll take "it's boring" as legitmate, because not everyone likes the same things. The other two "arguments" are weak and biased.

Believe it or not, there are things about GW2 I do not like, but, it's not enough to make me quit the game. I don't like that you can't preview armor on the TP. I don't like that as a Mesmer, I am limited on speed boosting abilities (unless I use a focus, which is crap). I don't like Orr. As a matter of fact, I HATE Orr. I do it to get karma, and map completion, that's it. Otherwise, I avoid it. These are just a few things I dislike, so you can stop calling me a "white knight" now.
    I replied to a specific post you wrote, I quoted it.
    Read that post again, with an open mind if you can (very hard to do with your own posts, it is for everybody, including me and you)

That post started with a rather irrational sneer at people complaining about GW2. And than you had the theory about a game not being dead.

I really can't see that post I quoted as being objective or rational, sorry.

My reaction is to that particular post. If it isn't representative of what you wanted to express: than I gladly stand corrected on you as a person, but less on the post itself even after re-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Lost ?! I didn't mention any number of lost customers. I just said that the "over 2 million" accounts also include those of people who left, meaning that the 2 million number is not the real amount of people who still play GW2, while the 10 million wow accounts are real as they are paid for, and I doubt people who left an MMO continue to pay their sub.
    Well then for all we know, 1000 people have bought it and not returned. Those are the numbers I wanted to see, but since they aren't out there, we won't know for sure. All I can say is the game is very populated. I log in every day, and I never see it devoid of players.

I'm not sure why anyone is bothering to reply to VibrantViolet, all she's doing is trolling/playing devils advocate/insulting while providing no information of her own "Your opinion is invalid, your information needs more sources, only my opinion is correct!"

At least Fencer has valid points and can reply to posts without sounding offended every time.

I will say (having played recently) that even though Orr is packed, you have to watch the players to see what they're packed with. The majority of them on my server (the now dead HoD) are nothing but bots (it's pretty obvious when they're all Rangers/Warriors and do nothing in-between events other than stand around attacking anything near them). It doesn't really seem like ANet has the support staff to be able to keep up with banning all of them.

As for the lower level zones, I had to help my friends through numerous events (they were still learning the game/sucked) because there was no one else around to help and they were too hard solo (too many mobs in an area, getting overwhelmed easily by yourself with crap gear and etc.). It wasn't a fun experience for either of us (because it's almost penalizing to be in lower level zones as a higher level) and something ANet needs to address if they want to continue to draw in new players.

Please do not insult or engage in name calling of any kind on the forums. Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-10 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    Now who's spouting conspiracy theories?
    Get off the idea that anyone being critical of GW2 is trying to ruin the game.

And sorry: the game isn't doing so well. It's doing decent at best.

Pvp wise even the paid tournaments didn't help that much.
    For a game that was sold as a pvp game, that even talked of going e-sport, it delivered very little in terms of pvp.

Even if you disagree, you still can't deny many people are disapointed with pve at 80 as well.
    Not everybody of course. But still rather a lot of complaints going around I would say.

The game isn't growing, it's mostly consolidating on a small but loyal playerbase.
    My guess is that that won't suffice in the long run, but actually I hope I'm wrong.
    So I disagree on the game doing so well. It takes rather low standards to claim that.
    do you keep a daily chart of gw2 sales worldwide or something? or can you just link us where is it that you can see actual figures of servers population and their evolution since launch? or are you barely pulling crap out of nowhere?

no matter the game, you'll always find people who won't like it anyways, even if the game is considered successful by those who just like it.
    i find skyrim to be a boring pile of shit filled of glitches and bugs. i don't know how many people love this game but i'm sure there's a lot of people that are probably still wasting their time on it. good for them, but i don't care one bit.

also, would you mind quoting any anet dude who said gw2 was going to be a pvp game again? guess you won't because they just never did.
    and while i would agree gw2 won't make it as an e-sport as it is now. the current pvp is pretty nice imo even if it needs few adjustments and more importantly more variety via the addition of new maps and modes (GvG, HA, AvA or new ones?). but hey the game is still young, so i'm just waiting to see what they're gonna make of it.

once again, it's fine to not like gw2 as it is, and it was pretty obvious from the start a lot of people jumped in the bandwagon without even trying to look for a few facts about the game and just ended up disappointed/bored. too bad for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone is bothering to reply to VibrantViolet, all she's doing is trolling/playing devils advocate/insulting while providing no information of her own "Your opinion is invalid, your information needs more sources, only my opinion is correct!"
    I'm not trolling. Where you got that, I'll never know. I never posted anything a "troll" would post. I didn't insult anyone at all. When someone make a reference to numbers, yeah, I want to see the proof. I'm not going to believe some random numbers in a post until it's backed up. I could say, "Guild Wars 2 has 5 million active players currently," would you believe it without proof? I hope not.

GW2 was the first mmo I ever quit after only 2 weeks play, even crappy swtor I managed to last 2months, putting it simply theres nothing todo compared to a traditional endgame mmo. doing questing in lower lvl zones and experiencing events again and again soon grew old for me and the dungeons were sadly a noob corpserunfest, watching the bosses and mobs ping ponging around the room/area is beyond terrible game design(I always play a healer so stand at the back and its clear to see, people not taking care of own debuffs and healing self).

Deleted
    The game is bad, and people left.

Shock horror i know.

Shocking indeed! Let's keep the game bashing out of the forums. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-11-10 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2: Over 2 million sales since purchasing was made available. Over 2 million created accounts since purchasing was available including the accounts of people who left GW2 and never returned.

Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 million sales in just the 1st week. Over 10 million paid and active accounts.

Damn you, numbers!!
    Good thing GW2 had to suspend sales a week into launch due to overwhelming response or that it hasn't launched in Asia yet, right? ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    The game is bad, and people left.

Shock horror i know.
    The game is awesome.

People are buying it, playing, and staying.

Mind blown.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2: Over 2 million sales since purchasing was made available. Over 2 million created accounts since purchasing was available including the accounts of people who left GW2 and never returned.

Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 million sales in just the 1st week. Over 10 million paid and active accounts.

Damn you, numbers!!
    Those 2million sales are from the period in between pre-purchase and September, ANet halted the sales one week and GW2 as far as I know was only released in Europe/America/Oceania

As I said before WoW has 10million active accounts as much as Maplestory as 93million users.
    Virtua said it better.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I hate fueling this trolltastic game vs. game debates, but WoW does not have 10 million players paying $15 a month. This has already been discussed many times. That 10 million number includes Chinese players who do not pay by the month, but rather buy game-time (I believe in the form of hours). Blizzard includes any account that bought game time within that month to be an "active subscription." That means if you bought 1 hour of game time to chat with old friends, you're now in that 10 million number.
    That's a fair argument, and does indeed put the numbers on MoP in a better light than they deserve. But to be honest: by what margin can we say there are a lot of these one-time only buyers of game time in China?
    Not saying there aren't, but how big a chunk is that really?

Same can be done with GW2 playerbase: how many of the 2 million played it for long, played it for real?
    And worse: how many play it regularly now?
    And of those who play, what do they do exactly? Stand in Lion's or the Mists? Grind in Orr?
    We don't have numbers on those, neither the yay or nay sayers do.
    The only thing I do know is that the number will be below those 2 million who bought it.

Blizzard always tries to put out overly positive numbers, but nothing shows me that Arenanet would do different on server populations etc.

My biggest disapointment in GW2 has been that after playing GW1 I saw Arenanet turn into a typical money grabbing MMO company, nothing like their manifesto. I'll have to see numbers on server population and such, before believing any claims they make about the state of the game. Just like with Blizzard indeed.
    My view, take it for what it's worth of course.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    ANet hasn't announced any sales milestones recently, and that could possibly be because they haven't hit the 3 million mark yet. But for all we know, there could still be well over 2 million players playing despite some people leaving. For example, I work retail (not for much longer thankfully) and still sell boxed copies of Guild Wars 2 pretty frequently. It's not like GW2 hit 2 million then just suddenly stopped selling.
    That's good.
    Those are indeed the numbers I would like to see: the sales after launch, the medium population on servers, that kind of stuff.

I'm one of those who bought it a few weeks after launch, even after hearing bad reports of it from people that played it from the start. I played GW1 and was waiting for this game for years, so I was going to try it come what may.

My leveling experience was rather empty to be honest, once I left the starter map. My view on the game didn't improve from there on.
    I did mostly pvp but found that incredibly lacking of variety, 8v8 spvp was the worse pvp design I could imagine, it just rewards mindless zerging.
    To find a team as a low ranked new player was very hard. Only to face premades in tpvp. Paid didn't change that one bit, so that sort of did it for pvp.
    WvWvW still got ruined by server transfer at that point, not to mention you're rather useless as a leveler still...

At that point I hit the forums, the game sites, and all of that. I wanted to find out if I was the only one so disapointed...
    I'm glad others aren't, but I happen to find loads of those who are. And no: I don't consider that a good thing actually, it's a sad thing.
    I wanted this game to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    My biggest disapointment in GW2 has been that after playing GW1 I saw Arenanet turn into a typical money grabbing MMO company, nothing like their manifesto. I'll have to see numbers on server population and such, before believing any claims they make about the state of the game. Just like with Blizzard indeed.
    My view, take it for what it's worth of course.
    a company is trying to make money?
    OH MY GAD!

/mindblown

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    a company is trying to make money?
    OH MY GAD!

/mindblown
    your mind gets blown easily, which is more your problem than mine.
    And weak sarcasm doesn't impress me, try harder.

Arenanet in GW1 tried to make money, but different than now, and certainly different than the way other B2P and certainly F2P games did.

Arenanet put out their manifesto claiming it's more about fun than about money, unlike those other MMO's.
    People tended to believe that, seeing how they handled it in GW1.

GW2 shows a different Arenanet, different from GW1 and different from even the GW2 manifesto.

Of course they try to make money.
    The question is: how far does a company push to do so?

Arenanet is not different from the other MMO companies, reading their manifesto now sort of saddens me.

So congratz on missing the point.

They all try to make money, but that's not what I meant by money-grabbing.

Guys, chill out.

This is not a game vs. game debate. This is not a discussion on your game of choice.

We welcome positive and negative comments. Drop the insults, hostility and blind game bashing.

--Fencers

Anyone who thinks GW2 is dead/dying/unpopular/etc is is either delusional or has the mental capacity of a 2 year old. The full/high servers are simple proof enough of the game not being dead. You still can't make toons/transfer at peak times on ALOT of servers. That speaks volumes in and of itself. And who cares if some people left the game for now? GW2 is the kind of game that you can play for awhile, leave for a few months, and come back later when new content has been released and NOT BE PENALIZED FOR IT. Anet made it that way, and people are taking advantage of it to enjoy other games in the mean time. Doesn't mean GW2 is dead, just means that Anet doesn't force you to feel like you need to keep playing every single day to justify a monthly sub. Hell, I myself didn't even log onto GW2 for almost the past 2 weeks because of Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4. And guess what? I'm not going to be any worse off when I go back to playing GW2. That's awesome. Anyone who thinks that's a bad thing really needs to seek psychiatric help immediately.

It seems that a vast majority of the time, the people who bash/troll/hate GW2 are generally the people who never liked the GW series to begin with, are WoW/Rift/other game fanboys, or just wanted GW to be a game that it is simply not meant to be. In all of these cases, I can merely say to you,"Who cares? Fuck off and leave the rest of us be." If you don't like GW2, then stop playing. If you played it for only a month, then you more than got your $60 worth out of it. Move on to the next game and STFU about GW2.

Overhyped game, nuff said really.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse/pc/ro...?nav=138c-a-cd

Still holding top sales spot for MMORPGs at Gamestop.
    Valar morghulis

The MMO genre is slowly starting to die in general. With so many MMO's that have hit the market over the last 5 years or so, I think the market became very saturated. That was why WoW and BC started to pick up so much steam. There was next to nothing else out at that time. And hell, everyone barely even knew what an MMO was. It was new and different. GW 2 isn't my kind of end game, but most of the reviews have been good, it's decent game play and it's free. That's an MMO for you though. Now more than ever people want content now, now, now and when they get it they zip through it at lightning speed and complain there's nothing to do. It takes a lot of work to create content and to stretch content. It's mostly why WoW has daily's and why GW2 is all farming stuff. You have to ask yourself how else can an MMO create end game differently and make it fun long term? It's almost impossible it seems.

Does this even add to the discussion, or are you just trying to bait more flaming?

The game was hyped, and for most, it has lived up to the hype. It's doing incredibly well for not having been released in Asia yet.
    Posting my opinion, as everyone else including you are doing. If it hurts someones feelings that i think the game was overhyped then i'd question their dignity

Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-10 at 11:13 PM.