Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Reputation of DK's

Hey all,
    After levelling the majority of classes but DK, hunter and Monk, I am stuck deciding what to do next.

I really enjoy the look of DK, the only issue is, I last played DK back in WoTLK and hit 80, and we had a reputation that was ... lets say, less that favourable. Are DK's still considered the same as they were in Wrath? I didn't consider them any of these things (OP, Overplayed, Lack of Skill, etc) but many I know still do.

Additionally, any advice for levelling and playing a DK?

Thanks.

Dks haven't been in a state like the one we were in during wrath for a long time, the sort of people who gave dks their bad reputation have long since rerolled.

As for levelling a dk, glyph of dark succor is your friend, and don't bother with diseases on things that won't survive more than a couple of hits.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2012-11-10 at 06:14 PM.

Deleted
    So what you're saying is that you don't want to play one cause morons say they're op and lack skills. I'm sorry the opinions of said morons are so important to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the reputation is the same.

Others will try to convince you otherwise, but I've been Death Gripped by players I was already running towards since 3.0 and still am in 5.0, nothing has changed. Derp Knights are Derp Knights.

Obviously, it is up to you to not be a Derp Knight, but there are still plenty of them out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    So what you're saying is that you don't want to play one cause morons say they're op and lack skills. I'm sorry the opinions of said morons are so important to you.
    They aren't, I'm just curious as to the general consensus I never said I wouldn't play one

Deleted
    Male blood elf DK casts chains of ice on you!
    Male blood elf DK casts death grip on you!

Seriously though, there will always be bads in every class. DKs had a brief surge of them when they were introduced, but I don't think they're that far different from any other class by now. I enjoy my DK when I play it (though it is just an alt).

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember in wrath I was like the first tank dk in raids. I got turned down alot because either they thought dks could not tank or that they though blood dks could not tank....SO I think it is peoples views of dks that are bad, not dks themselves.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I do remember when we were considered "derp knights" among other names. That's long since passed. We've proven ourselves through Cata and now MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I remember in wrath I was like the first tank dk in raids. I got turned down alot because either they thought dks could not tank or that they though blood dks could not tank....SO I think it is peoples views of dks that are bad, not dks themselves.
    The class was new and most people didn't know how to play it. Monks have the same issue, but they're not as overpowered as we use to be. But after season 7 we have always been rather balanced in my opinion. Well in season 9 we were strong as well but it was definitely not the same. Unfortunately we're currently a terrible class in competitive PvP, with an exception for RBGs were Frost performs pretty well. This entire expansion seems to be about burst, even more so than in Cataclysm. So there is no room for Unholy.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzzuli View Post
    OP, Overplayed, Lack of Skill,
    DK is no longer "OP", since all classes can heal and cc like mad nowadays... but that's another story, pvp is broken as never imo.

Overplayed. NOt anymore. Sure there are still a lot, but now DK shares the same amount of players as other classes.

Lack of skill. Unholy DK takes more skills to PROPERLY play it than most of the other specs in WoW atm.

I've become a DK in MoP because I find Unholy to be a still quite unique style which actually tkaes a bit of time to master compared to most os the rest.

You'll see 10 frost dk's for each unholy... yet they do the same DPS raid-wise and I'd say UH can pull it a bit further even. So... overplayed is not really the word for it

And again, the OP stuff right now wouldn't make any sense, even warriors heal just as much as DK's... most of the clases can silence or stunt.. (most of the times OP comes from CC related things) so lol no, not exaclty OP...
    Last edited by shise; 2012-11-11 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Yes, the reputation is the same.

Others will try to convince you otherwise, but I've been Death Gripped by players I was already running towards since 3.0 and still am in 5.0, nothing has changed. Derp Knights are Derp Knights.

Obviously, it is up to you to not be a Derp Knight, but there are still plenty of them out there.
    Well other classes played by bad players do their own things to compensate for that as well. Let us bring up some examples shall we. Druids cycloning the target everyone is killing. Paladins using bubble at 90 % health for no reason. Hunters not using their disengage or freedom to kite while they've got no control over their pets. Shamans using thunderstorm to knock away everyone for no reason. The list goes on.

Deleted
    So many idiotic people... DK's are fine, rotation isn't faceroll.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    DK is no longer "OP", since all classes can heal and cc like mad nowadays... but that's another story, pvp is broken as never imo.

Overplayed. NOt anymore. Sure there are stil la lot, but no DK shares the same amount of players as other classes.

Lack of skill. Unholy DK takes more skills to PROPERLY play it than most of the other specs in WoW atm.

I've become a DK in MoP because I find Unholy to be a still quite unique style which actually tkaes a bit of time to master compared to most os the rest.

You'll see 10 frost dk's for each unholy... yet they do the same DPS raid-wise and I'd say UH can pull it a bit further even. So... overplayed is not really the word for it

And again, the OP stuff right now wouldn't make any sense, even warriors heal just as much as DK's... most of plases can silence or stunt.. (most of the times OP comes from CC related things) so lol no, not exaclty OP...
    Ye but the thing is, Unholy, at least in PvP is pretty bad. It was more common in Cataclysm. The additional skill required to perform well does not compensate for the burst damage Frost deals. This does indeed suck.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    So many idiotic people... DK's are fine, rotation isn't faceroll.
    Well in PvP it's not about the rotation. Actually, you don't even use rotations in PvP anymore. In PvE i dunno, PvE is mostly about recount damage so pressing 1-5 ain't hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    derpknights reputation didnt changed much, sorry

Reputation isn't quite as bad anymore. Thing is Wrath was a special case. New class, very powerful and lots of different people of various skills trying it out. Like someone else said, most have probably rerolled. There is still tons of idiots (DPS) who use Army of the Dead without the glyph that removes the taunt, same with Deathgrip but its not nearly as bad as most people imply. You get bad players of all classes, so it's not really anything note worthy.

I've put a lot of play time into my DK. It's still a strong class for sure, but it feels a lot more balanced now. The reputation isn't bad either, most groups like having good DKs in them.

Pro-tip though. Never name your deathknight with 'death' 'knight' or 'dk' in the name.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xucuroz View Post
    Reputation isn't quite as bad anymore. Thing is Wrath was a special case. New class, very powerful and lots of different people of various skills trying it out. Like someone else said, most have probably rerolled. There is still tons of idiots (DPS) who use Army of the Dead without the glyph that removes the taunt, same with Deathgrip but its not nearly as bad as most people imply. You get bad players of all classes, so it's not really anything note worthy.

I've put a lot of play time into my DK. It's still a strong class for sure, but it feels a lot more balanced now. The reputation isn't bad either, most groups like having good DKs in them.

Pro-tip though. Never name your deathknight with 'death' 'knight' or 'dk' in the name.
    Looks like I'm naming mine Dkknightdeath then!

Dks don't have the reputation they do in wotlk. The class actually required you to focus on what you're doing in Cataclysm, rather then push about 4 buttons in a endless sequence. It's easy to distinguish the bads from the goods, and most of the bads have rerolled.

Quote Originally Posted by hasslehoof View Post
    The class actually required you to focus on what you're doing in Cataclysm, rather then push about 4 buttons in a endless sequence.
    Unfortunately we still spend most of the time pushing relatively few buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Unfortunately we still spend most of the time pushing relatively few buttons.
    My Death Knight has one of my most complex set of keybinds of all my characters.
    Get your head out of your ass and try to stop thinking only about Frost.

Yeah I find binding for my dk to take the most room and buttons, shockingly. You can use 5 spells and do decently I suppose. But between cool downs, racial, engineering, AOE, my rotational stuff, survival stuff it becomes a lot.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.