Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

US will refuse bid to give United Nations control over the internet

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...ternet-control

http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/fs/2012/195921.htm

http://files.wcitleaks.org/public/Russia%2040.pdf

These might be old news but I haven't seen them before and they aren't actually set to happen ( not happen) Until december so.

" Russia is one nation that is pushing for control of, at least some of, the internet to be handed over the UN."

Some of the comments made me lol

"Al Gore didn't invent the internet just to hand it over to Kofi Annan so he could go do something stupid with it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a simple concept that I believe anyone looking at international politics should know.

If any act in absolutely any way will put control over the United States or people or companies contained within, the US will reject it outright, with no room for negotiation, unless there is some form of loophole allowing the US to maintain complete national sovereignty.

Deleted
    So far we've been doing pretty good with how it is, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I don't like the UN anyways perhaps our government will do something smart this time around or better yet tell the UN to shove it and finally pull out altogether.

perhaps our government will do something smart this time around
    I had to chuckle at this. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    We pretty much invented it. I think we can decide how it's run, and everyone else can thank us for being able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceda View Post
    We pretty much invented it. I think we can decide how it's run, and everyone else can thank us for being able to use it.
    The infrastructure was invented by CERN (further developed, I'll admit, by the US military) and the protocol for the World Wide Web data transfer was invented by Tim Berners Lee (a Brit).

If we're unlucky, then in the future there will be a more secure internet 2.0, that will be limited to regions. Like European Union will have his own, China will have his own, Russia will have his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The infrastructure was invented by CERN (further developed, I'll admit, by the US military) and the protocol for the World Wide Web data transfer was invented by Tim Berners Lee (a Brit).
    I knew it was widely used by the US military, and that it wasn't entirely put together by the US, but what the hell is Russia's stake in this? I'm curious why they're pushing it.

How incredibly arrogant. You're not making the nation you seem to be so proud of look very good to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    How incredibly arrogant. You're not making the nation you seem to be so proud of look very good to others.
    Yeah, I'm in no way a fan of the country I live in. Welcome to the internet where the roads are paved with troll bait. Read down a little more, and don't go around pushing for an arguement at every little thing.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-12 at 08:02 AM.

To be honest I don't really know what "control over the internet" means, is it just domain names or...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    To be honest I don't really know what "control over the internet" means, is it just domain names or...?
    Policies, policing, think along those lines. In the US, they recently tried to control the content that came across websites in an attempt to stop the issue of piracy; the illegal downloading of movies, music, etc. With the seizure of multiple domains that hosted pirate content.

Hey, how bad could this actually be? We all know how successful the UN is at doing things! This would be an easy thing for them to not screw up.

Deleted
    I knew it was widely used by the US military, and that it wasn't entirely put together by the US, but what the hell is Russia's stake in this? I'm curious why they're pushing it.
    Why wouldn't a powerful nation want a rival powerful nation to move a global infrastructural platform to somewhat neutral hands.
    If the situation was reversed, I'm sure USA would be pushing exactly the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

For anyone Interested

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    There's a simple concept that I believe anyone looking at international politics should know.

If any act in absolutely any way will put control over the United States or people or companies contained within, the US will reject it outright, with no room for negotiation, unless there is some form of loophole allowing the US to maintain complete national sovereignty.
    The US is doing the right thing here

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh . . . how about no fucking organization controls the internet, you fucking assholes.

The Internet needs to remain a neutral ground controlled by no one.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-12 at 08:45 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

The US is doing a good job as it is running it in a non-political, technically competent manner. Transferring de jure authority has no practical benefits. Don't fix something that isn't broke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Uh . . . how about no fucking organization controls the internet, you fucking assholes.

The Internet needs to remain a neutral ground controlled by no one.
    Quoted for truth. Why should an organization (or whatever you'd like to define the UN or anything else as) be able to control what is supposed to be free?