Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    You're the tank, they need you, you don't need them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvzzTICvJs

if you tank like a boss you will be treated like one. Im no Kungen or anything, but i never get a complaint. the only thing i get is the healer asking if im up for another.

1 of the reasons i quit tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the 'run this fast' groups, and that is from a dps point of view. Can't imagine it as a tank. Sounds like you have had a lot of bad luck.

It doesn't hurt to ask right from the get go what the healer is comfortable with in regards to the size or amount of mobs you pull at once. At that level you could be running into some first time healers. I stopped leveling my priest as a healer around that level. It was my first time healing and got overwhelmed, decided it wasn't for me lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    here is what a good tank should do. he should pull fast and go to a SPOT and tank everything in range on that one spot, move AFTER everything is dead and that's it. healer don't go OOM even if they spam aoe dps abilities and heal. 15-80+ it's about aoe dps and nothing else.

bad tanks pull 3, kill 2, then pull 3 more while that last one tags along, slowly

bad tanks move/dance with teh mobs because they lack the experience to know how to position a pack where they want it

bad tanks have downtime. there is no reason to stop hitting stuff. you should go fast.
    The only time I have downtime is if I need to scratch my face or take a drink or something. Hah. My healer is in the same room as me, so he tells me if he needs to pause for any reason. He barely has to heal me/the group. I honestly pull a crap ton, it's all tanked, no one has aggro, caster and ranged mobs get cleaned up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalicat View Post
    The only time I have downtime is if I need to scratch my face or take a drink or something. Hah. My healer is in the same room as me, so he tells me if he needs to pause for any reason. He barely has to heal me/the group. I honestly pull a crap ton, it's all tanked, no one has aggro, caster and ranged mobs get cleaned up quickly.
    then tell them to suck your cock

tell them their dps is shit and they need to pick it up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I hate the 'run this fast' groups, and that is from a dps point of view. Can't imagine it as a tank. Sounds like you have had a lot of bad luck.

It doesn't hurt to ask right from the get go what the healer is comfortable with in regards to the size or amount of mobs you pull at once. At that level you could be running into some first time healers. I stopped leveling my priest as a healer around that level. It was my first time healing and got overwhelmed, decided it wasn't for me lol.
    I run with my boyfriend as my healer, so there's no worries there. It's just the DPS being impatient.

Trust me, totally understand about being overwhelmed as a healer. When I join a higher level dungeon where mobs hit harder I always try to be cognizant of the fact that I'm going to be taking higher damage, and do a test pull first to see where we're at.
    Last edited by Lalicat; 2012-11-11 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    My advice: do the best job you can, ignore the bads, negative and annoying people. No point in starting an argument at all. You can't please everyone. You and the healer dictate the tempo of the run and since you know what you can pull and at what rate the dps can either slack or keep up with it. When I see someone doing low dps in such situation I just continue on and after the run just find a new group.

I'm tanking on my RR Monk tank as well.
    I pull at my speed, can't keep up, GTFO.
    Got a problem with my tanking, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I constantly powerlevel morons, doing 3 times their combined DPS, and outhealing the healer in some cases. (Extract harm spam, chi wave on mono, guard ...)

You're the tank, they need you, you don't need them. Just drop instance and quest if morons give you grief.
    One of my least favorites is the tank that likes to pull while running - and never stopping. It gets so bad sometimes that we wind up causing huge chunks of trash to evade. Then they have the audacity to bitch that they're out DPSing you. Well yeah, they're constantly AOEing and getting vengeance stacks while running away from us. No shit they're out-dpsing us? I'm not saying this is how you play, I'm just saying some do and it sucks.

I don't care so much since I'm not getting rep or XP anymore, but it's still lame and gives a real feeling of "this isn't a game, it's a more like a nasty bout of food poisoning - lots of shit, and you can't wait for it to be over". And I'm sorry, but THAT feeling is reserved for dailies. I'd like to actually enjoy dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    One of my least favorites is the tank that likes to pull while running - and never stopping. It gets so bad sometimes that we wind up causing huge chunks of trash to evade. Then they have the audacity to bitch that they're out DPSing you. Well yeah, they're constantly AOEing and getting vengeance stacks while running away from us. No shit they're out-dpsing us? I'm not saying this is how you play, I'm just saying some do and it sucks.

I don't care so much since I'm not getting rep or XP anymore, but it's still lame and gives a real feeling of "this isn't a game, it's a more like a nasty bout of food poisoning - lots of shit, and you can't wait for it to be over". And I'm sorry, but THAT feeling is reserved for dailies. I'd like to actually enjoy dungeons.
    I gotta say, I understand this 100%. On my mage when tanks do this and just drag mobs for miles it drives me INSANNEEEEE. I HATE it and make a point to never drag mobs unnecessary distances.

Deleted
    as a tank if you feel like somebody is acting like an ass tell them to stfu,run the dungeon at your pace anyways,if they dont like it they can kick you but we dont care,instant queue's anyways

I have never seen this kind of behavior while leveling my monk. I have queued all of my dungeons for leveling solo and as the tank (also all but 3 of my runs for gearing up at 90). I've been leveling a druid tank with 0 heirlooms to see how that worked out. No harassment or complaints so far.

Perhaps the problem is a difference in expectations between yourself and the general population? Perhaps you aren't as skilled of a player or as good of a group member as you perceive yourself to be?

Nah, must be the LFD queue. Terrible people in there, every last one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalicat View Post
    I've literally had people harass me so badly that I've left groups, only to have them follow me onto my server and tell me I should kill myself.
    You would be surprised to find out how often that actually happens. I am well aware of the fact that blizzard themselves have said multiple times that they do take such things very seriously and that we should report people who do that, however, this is something that has been happening to me for at least 2-3 years now, I have been reporting every single time, but nothing has been done, rude people keep making level one characters and whispering me stuff like I HOPE YOU DIE IRL or F*** YOU B**** YOU SHOULD GET CANCER. Fairly obvious insults but heyyy nothing has been done Perhaps blizzard is understaffed or something.

This happens a lot and, sadly, people will continue to be mean to you, dear OP. The only thing you can do is make friends with that ignore button and just grow a thick skin, that worked for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post

I run dungeons efficiently, like a well oiled machine.

I don't overpull, I know my limits.
    I don't pull trash outside the beaten path of the instance.

I enjoy not being bad and taking 30 minutes to clean Blackrock depths, maybe that's just me.

Also, when I leveled my elemental shaman, I was never behind a tank on dps, yet when I'm on my tank I'm always first. Has anyone else encountered this ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    I have never seen this kind of behavior while leveling my monk. I have queued all of my dungeons for leveling solo and as the tank (also all but 3 of my runs for gearing up at 90). I've been leveling a druid tank with 0 heirlooms to see how that worked out. No harassment or complaints so far.

Perhaps the problem is a difference in expectations between yourself and the general population? Perhaps you aren't as skilled of a player or as good of a group member as you perceive yourself to be?

Nah, must be the LFD queue. Terrible people in there, every last one of them.
    Well, to me, this doesn't make sense. If I'm not as skilled or as good of a group member, then it's totally understandable that someone might say something about me letting them die, not picking up mobs, losing aggro and so on. And if I let someone die, or it's a bad pull and it gets hairy and stuff's running lose, then I do my best to mop it up and apologize to the group. This happens (though rarely), it's natural, and I understand someone being upset about that. But that's actually never been an issue.

If someone wants to criticize me about something about my tanking that I can improve on, or actually PROVIDE SUGGESTIONS as to something I could do better, I'm all ears. If someone randomly tells me to hurry the fuck up dumb (insert insult here) completely randomly, after pulling half a group of mobs and doing 75% of the DPS, then screw 'em. That's not me. That's them.

In addition, I've had some great groups, fast, clean, and gotten compliments. My healer would be pissed if I was doing shitty, and would point out to me that I need to improve on x, y and z. After-all, he's the one who has to heal up if I screw up. So at least I know some of the time I'm doing well.

But zoning into a dungeon, pulling 2 large packs with no issues, very clean - I mean, I'm talking about pulling half a room of mobs here, as much as I can tank and my healer can reliably heal - and I'm getting immediate nastiness about going faster, or people face pulling, then again, that's not something I can control.

In the end I just need to develop a thicker skin, make sure I continue to be receptive to suggestions, and ignore rudeness I guess.

Deleted
    I feel your pain OP

ive just hit 90 on my monk tank and ive done the same, tanked from lvl 15. I found that i didnt have a problem from 15-89, if a dps shouted go go go i hit my walk button and taken it real slow. If they started to pull id /lol at them as they get 2 shotted, if they kicked me id be back in a new group with in 5 mintues. it was fun.

the only think i found was once i hit 90 and got to the right ilvl to do heroics that i got shit for been a new under geared tank, My first Heroic was SM and im not sure if it was me or the healer, but he gave me dogs of abuse to the point that he kept asking the group to kick me as im to quote " a fucking retarded noob who cant play the game"

Now ive been playing for 5 years and i have a druid tank, a paladin tank and a warrior tank, i enjoy tanking its fun, Monks are great tanks as it is not just spamming three buttons and facerolling to the end, you need to play the class. Anyway i had to leave the group as he started to stop healing me when i pulled groups of mobs and would just laugh saying look the noob died again a shit tank is a shit tank.

All i would say now is, stick at it, once you start to get gear and get better at what you need to do with the class (again this isnt a faceroll class) you will find that some healers like to have a monk tank as its not boring for them and they get to play the game instead of watching an immortal plate wearer walk into mobs and kill them.

GLHF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    It will only get better if you get better at dealing with it. To be a proper tank in WoW:

25% using your abilites.
    25% knowing the dungeon. (kill order, boss abilities etc.)
    50% "Acting" like you know exactly WTF you're doing. And taking zero crap from anyone that might have a thought of their own.

I'm serious, show the least bit of weakness and your group will be all over you like a rabid pack of cracked up Chinchilla's itching for a fix.
    As much as i must regret... this is correct, at the end of the day i get instant queues so if i get kicked I'll just get another instance instantly (and i make them aware of that if they start sh*t).
    At 90 i must admit it does start to get a little better, there are still twats and idiots but not much can be done about that.

One thing that blizzard NEEDS to do though, is make it so you can kick players during combat; i know how this can be used to grief, but its a pain in the ass to wait 15 seconds to kick them, and even bigger pain when they do as OP describes.
    As an addition i think not being able to kick someone for 15 into the dungeon is also bullsh*t.

All in all, just grit you teeth for the leveling and once your 90 it should be better. The biggest problem i have with 90 tanking is that people don't even bother to read the f*cking dungeon journal to at least know what the boss does, I am not going to explain every fight every time i use LFG...

P.S. hope you manage to wade through to crap to 90 and get a small margin of nicer players

I'm tanking on my RR Monk tank as well.
    I pull at my speed, can't keep up, GTFO.
    Got a problem with my tanking, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I constantly powerlevel morons, doing 3 times their combined DPS, and outhealing the healer in some cases. (Extract harm spam, chi wave on mono, guard ...)

You're the tank, they need you, you don't need them. Just drop instance and quest if morons give you grief.
    I don't think those people are the morons if they are doing 1/3 of your dps and you think it's them. Just saying.

Also, you can blame the tanks of the past and present for this. Tanks have always been the biggest source of abuse in LFD. They have this overwhelming sense of self importance because most people don't know that when you VTK a bad or abusive tank you get the next available because broken groups get preference to fill slots before unformed groups do. With that in mind people had been obsessively subserviant to tanks and they got a big ego. Since then people have turned the tables and don't care about tanks.

it's people like the guy who I quoted here that cause people to disrespect the OP, but even the OP has a bit of the god complex running. Only takes 3 votes to ditch a tank and half the time people don't read who is getting VTK'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of that is solved by just not giving a fuck. Hunter/lock taunt on? Let the pet die. Someone pulls a bunch of stuff? Let them die and run back to their body. qq? Ignore them, you won't get them in a LFD again. I have tanked/healed LFD on every class that can from 15-85/90 and it never really bothered me. I healed on my monk from 15-90 with zero qq.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntha View Post
    Anyway i had to leave the group as he started to stop healing me when i pulled groups of mobs and would just laugh saying look the noob died again a shit tank is a shit tank.
    Pull the entire room, /lol, leave instance.
    Last edited by Illiterate; 2012-11-11 at 11:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    here is what a good tank should do. he should pull fast and go to a SPOT and tank everything in range on that one spot, move AFTER everything is dead and that's it. healer don't go OOM even if they spam aoe dps abilities and heal. 15-80+ it's about aoe dps and nothing else.

bad tanks pull 3, kill 2, then pull 3 more while that last one tags along, slowly

bad tanks move/dance with teh mobs because they lack the experience to know how to position a pack where they want it

bad tanks have downtime. there is no reason to stop hitting stuff. you should go fast.
    I usually do a big pull at first, check out if the healer can keep me up, if he cant, I'll chainpull with zero downtime, usually leaving 2-3 mobs of a pack snared and kiting them while pulling more mobs, incase my dps is retarded and does not dps these two down, I'll use stuns/other snares, until I have enough mobs following me that I have decent threat on, that can be aoe'd, so that even the most retarded dps will aoe them instead of trying to keep up with me. I dance with stuns and snares to minimize dmg done to me, while pulling more mobs, this all to speed up the instance, even when 4/5 of my group are heavily undergeared or simply just bad at the game, It never takes me more than 10 minutes to clear any MoP heroic while tanking like this. With competent dps I'm running at 5-7min depending on the heroic. In my opinion, two of the points you listed are what tanks can do to make a dungeon faster. there is no need to facetank a million mobs and risk dying to a stun/bad avoidance rng.