Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question What Types of Calories are LEAST efficient at storing BELLY FAT?

Hello, 20 year old guy here, I am 5 ft 7.5-8 inches 124-127 lb have a 26.5 inch waist and would love to keep my waist line small as I get older.
    Aside from exercise (which I am beginning to do more and more of) I'd like to know what types of calories store belly fat least efficiently than others.
    There are countless claims that sugary foods like HFCS (high fructose corn syrups) are the first to store as belly fat. Another study blames starchy wheat. And some blame belly fat on saturated fats.

My question is that what type of Calories ad Carbs meaning (Sugars including different types, what types of Carbs and what types of fats) would store more belly fat oppose to fat in the legs or arms than others? Or are all the calories roughly the same.

Also a question about Dietary Fibers. If Food B has 100 calories but no dietary fibers while Food A has 100 calories but 2 grams of dietary fibers, would food A be less fattening?

Credible links to back up an argument are also very welcomed.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2012-11-12 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Hello, 20 year old guy here, I am 5 ft 7.5-8 inches 124-127 lb have a 26.5 inch waist and would love to keep my waist line small as I get older.
    Aside from exercise (which I am beginning to do more and more of) I'd like to know what types of calories store belly fat least efficiently than others.
    There are countless claims that sugary foods like HFCS (high fructose corn syrups) are the first to store as belly fat. Another study blames starchy wheat. And some blame belly fat on saturated fats.

My question is that what type of Calories meaning (Sugars including different types, what types of Carbs and what types of fats) would store more belly fat oppose to fat in the legs or arms than others? Or are all the calories roughly the same.

Credible links to back up an argument are also very welcomed.
    All calories are roughly the same. Go search on google scholar or pubmed. You will get fat in your stomach as you get older especially when your testosterone levels go down.

Most of those countless claims are pretty bullshit, typically for the purpose of either making money or getting attention. It's really as simple as exercising and not eating terrible food on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    All calories are roughly the same. Go search on google scholar or pubmed. You will get fat in your stomach as you get older especially when your testosterone levels go down.
    And this is why I am concerned. I don't want to gain fat in my belly, so my habits eating and exercise will be adjusted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Most of those countless claims are pretty bullshit, typically for the purpose of either making money or getting attention. It's really as simple as exercising and not eating terrible food on a regular basis.
    Couldn`t be put better tbh. However just try and have a lot of fiber as your snax and u should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    Couldn`t be put better tbh. However just try and have a lot of fiber as your snax and u should be fine.
    I have a question about fibers. If Food A has 100 calories but 0 grams of fiber and food B has 100 calories but 2 grams of dietary fibers, will both foods still contribute the same in terms of storing fat?

Hi there.
    It seems as if you're mixing up calories and carbs, so i would like to start out with defining the difference between these.
    Carbs (aka Carbonhydrates) are macromolecules made up of Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen, we commonly refer to them as sccharides. The human body does not need these in any way, since everything they contain (C, H and O) are gained from so many different ways. Eventhou quite a few bodily processes uses carbohydrates (heck, most of our cells are covered in some kind of carbonhydrate) these are all selfproduced.
    Calories, is a SI-unit which based on the ammount of energy needed to increase the temperature of one gram of water by 1 degree which is 4.18 joules. It's used to describe how much energy can be released by "burning" something. Hence the topic of this post confused me quite a lot (all calories are the same!)

- just wanted to clear that up!

As for your question (I'm gonna guess that you're asking for carbonhydrates and not calories...) what you want is food containing more polysccaharides than mono/desccaharides. Polysccaharides are harder for the body to break down, which means you'll gain less energy from them and a portion of the energy contained will escape your body when you go to the loo. Polysccaharides also make your intestine work more whilst breaking it down/trying to break it down, which will make you feel less hungry!
    So when you buy foods you should go for "rough" products (not white bread/sweetened foods(added sugar))!
    I'm not sure how it's done in the declaration of contains where you're from, but where I'm from you can see the ammount of carbonhydrates in the product somewhere on the container, and in 95 out of 100 times it also says how many of the carbs are mono/de and polysccaharides!
    Aim for products where atleast 50% of the carbonhydrates are polysccaharites (could be marked as fibers!)!

TLR, Mono/desccaharides contain more calories /g than polysccaharides, which means that they'll make you fatter than polysccaharides!

Quote Originally Posted by Darzhar View Post
    Hi there.
    It seems as if you're mixing up calories and carbs, so i would like to start out with defining the difference between these.
    Carbs (aka Carbonhydrates) are macromolecules made up of Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen, we commonly refer to them as sccharides. The human body does not need these in any way, since everything they contain (C, H and O) are gained from so many different ways. Eventhou quite a few bodily processes uses carbohydrates (heck, most of our cells are covered in some kind of carbonhydrate) these are all selfproduced.
    Calories, is a SI-unit which based on the ammount of energy needed to increase the temperature of one gram of water by 1 degree which is 4.18 joules. It's used to describe how much energy can be released by "burning" something. Hence the topic of this post confused me quite a lot (all calories are the same!)

- just wanted to clear that up!

As for your question (I'm gonna guess that you're asking for carbonhydrates and not calories...) what you want is food containing more polysccaharides than mono/desccaharides. Polysccaharides are harder for the body to break down, which means you'll gain less energy from them and a portion of the energy contained will escape your body when you go to the loo. Polysccaharides also make your intestine work more whilst breaking it down/trying to break it down, which will make you feel less hungry!
    So when you buy foods you should go for "rough" products (not white bread/sweetened foods(added sugar))!
    I'm not sure how it's done in the declaration of contains where you're from, but where I'm from you can see the ammount of carbonhydrates in the product somewhere on the container, and in 95 out of 100 times it also says how many of the carbs are mono/de and polysccaharides!
    Aim for products where atleast 50% of the carbonhydrates are polysccaharites (could be marked as fibers!)!

TLR, Mono/desccaharides contain more calories /g than polysccaharides, which means that they'll make you fatter than polysccaharides!
    Thankyou

In addition to what the dude above said, eat a majority of your calories in proteins and fats, and when you do eat carbs, make sure it's a complex carb (wheat bread, beans, quinoa).

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    In addition to what the dude above said, eat a majority of your calories in proteins and fats, and when you do eat carbs, make sure it's a complex carb (wheat bread, beans, quinoa).
    Omega fats from fish and nuts correct? and not saturated fats found in ice-cream or candies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Omega fats from fish and nuts correct? and not saturated fats found in ice-cream or candies.
    Fat is fat. It's all good for you, so is protein. Simple carbs like sugar(fructose is the worst offender) and starch are what will pile on the belly fat. Complex carbs like fiber or lactose arn't as bad, because your body has to work harder to break it down.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Fat is fat. It's all good for you, so is protein. Simple carbs like sugar(fructose is the worst offender) and starch are what will pile on the belly fat. Complex carbs like fiber or lactose arn't as bad, because your body has to work harder to break it down.
    This. Candy and ice cream are bad for reasons not related to the type of fat (such as fuck tons of sugar and no nutritional value). You need omega oils, so take supplements or eat fish, but where the rest of your fat comes from doesn't matter as long as it's not trans fat.

Just to add another point when it comes to fat.

You need to realise that weight (fat gain/loss) isn't necessarily directly proportional to healthy eating. I would still advise avoiding the bad fats (trans/saturated) to reduce the risk of things like heart disease and other nasties related to clogging your arteries.

It's very easy to eat a high protein diet without sending your cholesterol through the roof and needing heart bypass surgery by age 30, but its also very easy to do the opposite!

Not all fats are made the same. Some fats are more inflammatory than others and create more plaque than others.

Look, your body will naturally store more fat in the belly as you get older. There is no way to avoid that. Your fat in your legs, arms, face, and everywhere else will migrate to your belly. This is natural. It happens to women after menopause. The only way to combat it is to have a low body fat % such that you don't notice it as much. This is also part of the reason why it is so much harder for older men to have defined abdominal muscles: young kids have less fat in the stomach region than their older counterpoints even at the same body fat percentage.

Calories are calories and your body will store excess calories either as fat or muscle. It will store it as muscle if you are lifting correctly and you have enough protein intake. HOWEVER, once your testosterone levels start decreasing, your muscles will begin to deteriorate and you won't be able to store as much energy as muscle. As such, as you get older you will begin to store more excess calories as fat. The only way to stay skinny into old age is to 1) use steroids to keep an unnaturally high amount of testosterone such that you can store more muscle or 2) lose as much body-fat as you can and try to retain as much muscle as you can as your body begins to break down.

Look, you do not need to be so focused on having a narrow waist. 26.5 is pretty fucking small. Until you start to get above 34 or so you really dont need to worry about it. Beauty fades, stupid is forever.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-13 at 01:36 AM.

You're 5' 8", 125lbs, and you're 20 years old. The last thing you should be worried about is belly fat or "as you get older." I recommend you get in the gym, squat, and eat. Get your body weight/squat up to at least 185/315, I guarantee you'll be happier. Eat/drink a lot of milk, meat(especially beef), eggs, and fruit.

Honestly, I have a friend who, at 5' 8" 175lbs doesn't even lift and wears small t-shirts.

Oh, and being weak is a much bigger concern for old people than having a little belly fat(osteoporosis and assisted living aren't fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    You're 5' 8", 125lbs, and you're 20 years old. The last thing you should be worried about is belly fat or "as you get older." I recommend you get in the gym, squat, and eat. Get your body weight/squat up to at least 185/315, I guarantee you'll be happier. Eat/drink a lot of milk, meat(especially beef), eggs, and fruit.

Honestly, I have a friend who, at 5' 8" 175lbs doesn't even lift and wears small t-shirts.

Oh, and being weak is a much bigger concern for old people than having a little belly fat(osteoporosis and assisted living aren't fun).
    Been doing squats, and my legs have gotten much better and healthier, and even a little bulkier. My martial arts kicks have gotten much stronger.
    My weight is within healthy weight. (nothing wrong with being mildly thin)

For one legged squats, I have been able to do roughly 20-22 one legged squats on both legs without loosing my balance. I'm not sure if that's good strength or not, but a big improvement from 6 months ago.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Not all fats are made the same. Some fats are more inflammatory than others and create more plaque than others.

Look, you do not need to be so focused on having a narrow waist. 26.5 is pretty fucking small. Until you start to get above 34 or so you really dont need to worry about it. Beauty fades, stupid is forever.
    thanks for the take, but me personally I just like the look of small waist.
    but the truth is scary, testosterone levels with decrease, so I will have to increase my physical activity as well as healthier eating if I were to fight belly fat.

Going to take more MMA classes.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2012-11-13 at 07:19 AM.

Been doing squats, and my legs have gotten much better and healthier, and even a little bulkier. My martial arts kicks have gotten much stronger.
    My weight is within healthy weight. (nothing wrong with being mildly thin)

For one legged squats, I have been able to do roughly 20-22 one legged squats on both legs without loosing my balance. I'm not sure if that's good strength or not, but a big improvement from 6 months ago.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 11:09 PM ----------

thanks for the take, but me personally I just like the look of small waist.
    but the truth is scary, testosterone levels with decrease, so I will have to increase my physical activity as well as healthier eating if I were to fight belly fat.
    It seems you did not understand my post. 125 @5'8" brings pictures of Golem from Lord of the Rings to mind. How much do you squat(how much weight do you put on your back and squat below parallel)? Body weight exercises for high reps are not a good measurement of strength, especially when you weigh 125lbs.

Lift heavy and eat more, your testosterone will go up. It needs to in order for you to progress(get stronger).

Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    It seems you did not understand my post. 125 @5'8" brings pictures of Golem from Lord of the Rings to mind.
    Again, being thin does not automatically mean unhealthy. And no am NO WHERE near as skinny as that strange alien...
    Your post could be seen as inflammatory to those who are thin. Do I really have to upload a picture of myself to disprove your disgusting claim that 125 5 ft 8 = super thin?

seriously... Do a quick goggle search before you start insulting skinny people.

Check out these martial arts fighters. They are roughly my weight. One is 122 lb other 138
    They are not "super thin"
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2012-11-13 at 07:34 AM.

A calorie is a measure of energy, where 1 cal = 4.18 J, so it's a bit silly to ask "Which calorie is better?".

Anyway, hydrocarbons and proteins account for 4kcal/g, while lipids (fats) account for 9kcal/g. That's the nutshell of it.

Again, being thin does not automatically mean unhealthy. And no am NO WHERE near as skinny as that strange alien...
    Your post could be seen as inflammatory to those who are thin. Do I really have to upload a picture of myself to disprove your disgusting claim that 125 5 ft 8 = super thin?

seriously... Do a quick goggle search before you start insulting skinny people.
    Nobody has ever bothered to explain what "healthy" means, in any certain terms to me, so I don't entertain arguments about what is "healthy."

This is the closest thing I could find via google, most of the pics I got back for "5' 8" 125lbs" were women. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body...rete-kyle.html

His before pic looks like a tan golem with a better dentist. His 2nd pic looks better, but still skinny, and I don't particularly care for looking at oiled up men.

What are your goals? If you want to be effective at your sport, or just strong/athletic for the sake of being athletic, you need to gain weight(this is what I am stressing). You'll also look better, imo(no homo). If you just wanna look like you do now, and not excel at anything, keep doin what you're doin bro, I won't stop you. If you like how you look like, and athletic performance is not a priority, more power to you. You obviously know how to do this - because you're doing it.