Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Give me a break. I'm not a hardcore Texas statist. I grew up in California, for goodness sake. There are 7 Air Force Bases in Texas, 4 Army Bases, and 4 Navy Bases, in addition to National Guard forces. I'm not saying the US overall wouldn't win in a straight up fight, but to say that they'd roll right over Texas is silly.

http://militarybases.com/texas/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Military_Forces
    What makes you think they would even side with Texas? I am betting they wouldn't if Obama was on the phone. Not exactly a wise career decision.

Also, those #s are laughable considering the total size of our military, and the fact we automatically get the option of first strike. It would laughably stupid if Texas were to do the first strike...ohh damn that would be stupid.

You Texans are the most egotistical blowhards alive.
    You think you can actually take on the rest of the US....i mean its ignorance at a level that I can't even compute right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    How many of the troops stationed there are loyal to Texas? Yeah, there you go =-p
    Probably a surprisingly large number, honestly. The people stationed in those bases are by and large Texas residents, and the idea of a Texas secession would be predicated on the idea that the majority of Texans want to secede.

Also, if we're going to play the game of where loyalties lie, how many American soldiers would be willing to fire upon American citizens in order to put down a secession?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, our president might be worthless, but he's not the only political force in the nation. The US is not going "downhill."
    You mean, the rest of the world is going way up, and U.S going just up.

Secondly, the president is not worthless, but the voters who voted for him. Thank your fellow voters for voting such a candidate.

So don't call Obama worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    US debt is a non-issue. The holders aren't going to call it in (not that they are able to anyway), and there are a number of solutions open to resolve it.
    If, let's say George Soros or China (even more so) decides to buy our debt it is them who owns the government. Just like buying stock. 51% stake holding determines who has say.

This is an analogy.

The above comment is not a tin foil hat theory. Just logic.
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Probably a surprisingly large number, honestly. The people stationed in those bases are by and large Texas residents, and the idea of a Texas secession would be predicated on the idea that the majority of Texans want to secede.

Also, if we're going to play the game of where loyalties lie, how many American soldiers would be willing to fire upon American citizens in order to put down a secession?
    I would nuke that shit hole off the map if ordered to, and smile while doing it.

Maybe you remember something called the civil war?

Does anyone actually even think this way anymore?
    Germans, British, Canadian, American, wtf does it matter? All about the same really.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-12 at 11:41 PM.

Australia should buy U.S' debt...

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obamatheone View Post
    What makes you think they would even side with Texas? I am betting they wouldn't if Obama was on the phone. Not exactly a wise career decision.

Also, those #s are laughable considering the total size of our military, and the fact we automatically get the option of first strike. It would laughably stupid if Texas were to do the first strike...ohh damn that would be stupid.

You Texans are the most egotistical blowhards alive.
    You think you can actually take on the rest of the US....i mean its ignorance at a level that I can't even compute right now.
    God damn. You're attacking me and acting like I'm making claims I'm not making. I never said that Texas could "take on the rest of the US." I know the US military would end up kicking Texas' ass in the end. I'm saying that they wouldn't be pushovers. It wouldn't be a totally one-sided conflict. You seem to have a bias against Texans in general and aren't really even reading what I'm saying.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 10:14 PM ----------

I would nuke that shit hole off the map if ordered to, and smile while doing it.
    You know it's bizarre. Usually I attribute this level of intolerance and intransigence to the Republicans. I find it bizarre beyond belief that you could take this kind of position, especially when you're talking to someone who voted for Obama twice and is against secession.

i dont even know what to say to this

Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    You mean, the rest of the world is going way up, and U.S going just up.

Secondly, the president is not worthless, but the voters who voted for him. Thank your fellow voters for voting such a candidate.

So don't call Obama worthless.
    He may be president, but I don't hold him in high regards as other past presidents. I see him on par with Jimmy Carter. Or even less. Until he proves otherwise.
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

And how many Texans will fire upon American soldiers in order to protect the secession which is only desired by few? The same question can be turned around plenty of times, but ultimately Texas is rather sparsely populated, economically weak, and the idea of secession is shared only by a *very* tiny vocal minority.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texas military seize their commander in chief as a domestic threat if he even issued such an order.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Oh? What did I miss? I thought states couldn't trump federal laws?
    Correct federal law says minimum wage is at least $7.25, as a result a state can not pass a law allowing a lower wage as it conflicts with the federal law. There is no conflict with a state making the minimum wage higher.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    See this is confusing, there are states still paying under $6. Ill say "the min wage" is the lowest in the country, my personal interpretation.

Either way, the list belf posted shows texas at 7.25 while cali is 8. 7.25 in texas is a lot more than 8 in cali.
    There aren't states paying under $6 to legal employees. I've heard, with no first hand knowledge, that jobs like waiters can have a base pay lower with tips making up the difference as long as they make at least minimum wage on each of their shifts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    And how many Texans will fire upon American soldiers in order to protect the secession which is only desired by few? The same question can be turned around plenty of times, but ultimately Texas is rather sparsely populated, economically weak, and the idea of secession is shared only by a *very* tiny vocal minority.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texas military seize their commander in chief as a domestic threat if he even issued such an order.
    Oh agreed. The whole idea of Texas military being up against the US military was based on the laughable proposition that the majority of Texans would want such a thing, which simply isn't true and won't be true.

Although Texas isn't economically weak. The GDP of Texas is $1.2 trillion, putting it at the 14th largest economy in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    He may be president, but I don't hold him in high regards as other past presidents. I see him on par with Jimmy Carter. Or even less. Until he proves otherwise.
    By doing what exactly? Also what did Jimmy Carter do to earn such disdain?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know it's bizarre. Usually I attribute this level of intolerance and intransigence to the Republicans. I find it bizarre beyond belief that you could take this kind of position, especially when you're talking to someone who voted for Obama twice and is against secession.
    I'm finding it rather bizarre as well.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

God damn. You're attacking me and acting like I'm making claims I'm not making. I never said that Texas could "take on the rest of the US." I know the US military would end up kicking Texas' ass in the end. I'm saying that they wouldn't be pushovers. It wouldn't be a totally one-sided conflict. You seem to have a bias against Texans in general and aren't really even reading what I'm saying.

Idk, but I just hate Texas. Its everything I see wrong with the US all rolled up into a giant ball of oily shit.
    Last edited by Obamatheone; 2012-11-12 at 10:34 PM.

Do you have any idea how often either part of the country or part of a US state has a secessionist movement?

Putting aside that literally how the US came to be or the part it played in the US Civil War there is still all these secessions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessi...s_from_a_state.

If you need a laugh after all this please watch this Daily Show sketch: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...ants-to-secede

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you guys do know that reeve isn't exactly yosemite sam, right? he is that favorite paradox, a rational texan
    Thanks, though I rather like Yosemite. It's actually the most beautiful place I've ever been.

seriously reeve, why do texas's idiot gain the national spotlight so easily? we've all got a population of dopes, but ours dont make the news even if they do the same or worse. i mean look at this, 19 other states and all anybody talks about is texas, lol. texas needs to ban cameras and microphones or something
    Texas is just more over-proud of itself than most states. There's sort of a dual nationalism here that's much stronger than in most other states, and Texas is very good at marketing itself. It has crafted this image around itself so that some people intentionally live up to it, and when people do live up to it, they get lots of attention because it feeds into the confirmation bias around the marketed image of Texas.

By doing what exactly? Also what did Jimmy Carter do to earn such disdain?
    Are you actually serious?

He is the reason we have so much problems in the Middle East, because it started with him. Al Qaeda was a 6 member group until, a failed mission called "Operation Sandstorm" gave fuel to extremists.

Like a chess piece, an early move in the game can lead to a predictable outcome in the end.

Also our failed economy began, not with bush. But in Clinton's era. His federal treasurer Alan Greenspan.

Become educated, become informed. And never regurgitate someone else's view.

10+ Year Old Account
    The chance of Texas seceding is as slim as the chance of Texas rebelling. Outside of a tiny minority of wackos who are just about stunningly out of touch with reality. I seriously doubt many Texans actually want to leave the Union. I doubt most are fooled by Perry's gimmicks, pretending to have a balanced budget. Just as I doubt most would in any way want to see the south rise again. If it was a hostile split, Texas would likely be crushed from without and within. If it was a peaceful split, Texas would still suffer terrible political and economic shocks as its classification suddenly changed from member state to foreign body.

The funniest part of this subject is that its lasted as long as it has given the amount of fantasy involved.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    Are you actually serious?

He is the reason we have so much problems in the Middle East, because it started with him. Al Qaeda was a 6 member group until, a failed mission called "Operation Sandstorm" gave fuel to extremists.

Like a chess piece, an early move in the game can lead to a predictable outcome in the end.

Also our failed economy began, not with bush. But in Clinton's era. His federal treasurer Alan Greenspan.

Become educated, become informed. And never regurgitate someone else's view.
    Actually you might want to look a little further back to who caused the stagflation that Reagan's deregulation fever was a reaction too. As in, Nixon.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

My answer? Probably.