Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Seems like there are a lot of players with gathering professions running around in set patterns in every zone, all calling each other bots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    get up, check bot, auction stuff, resume bot, got to work, come home, have dinner, auction stuff, raid, resume bot, watch a movie, go to sleep, repeat.

the bot takes away the necessity to immerse oneself in the abnegation, the mindlessness wow requires you to experience when you are tasked with extremly time intensive repititive tasks. sitting in stormpeaks for three days or flying in circles through uldum? farming excessive amount of stacks or weeds to grind them down to ink to get that BiS item you basically have to have to not burden your fellow raid members? the insane time it takes to farm particles for crafted epic armor the first raid week to be prepared as best as you can? leveling your 5th toon through the same content?
    those are tasks that are no fun in my opinion and a simple tool can take those off my hands. i suppose this is the industrial revolition dilema all over again.
    Why not just pay someone to level for you? Or hey, want a rare mount? Why not just hack the game and give yourself one? A few hacked GM commands would make the game much more enjoyable for you, I'm sure. Botting is already breaking the rules, why not just cut out the middle man? Instead of cheating your way to something, just cheat it directly to you.

There isn't an iota of difference.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm against the usual pvp bots, cause they cause hindrance to those around them.
    I do however often use a fishing profile to automatically fish while chatting/prepping for raids (so no afk fishing).
    As a person with over 40k manual casts and Salty, I feel that fishing has become such a pain manually.
    However I refuse to use any other kind of bot out there, simply because farming/pvp'ing/etc is not such a awkward task.

Might've not been a smart idea to post this here - considering some people will just ticket.
    Just making sure that those that have hatred to bot users can see the different side of the coin for once.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2012-11-13 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Why not just pay someone to level for you? Or hey, want a rare mount? Why not just hack the game and give yourself one? A few hacked GM commands would make the game much more enjoyable for you, I'm sure. Botting is already breaking the rules, why not just cut out the middle man? Instead of cheating your way to something, just cheat it directly to you.

Hey, if you are willing to speed in your car, why not just run over pedestrians.

There isn't an lota of difference...(I felt awful retyping that...)

u mad? becaue you sound mad

there is a big difference. the bot does what any player can do and is allowed to do. now, while i admit that the bot is against the rules blizzard set for this game, i dont see a general moral dilema here.
    you refuse to acknowledge the substitution of manual labor against automated process in a way and with the exact same arguments the horse carriage lobby tried to stop the advance of the automobile or how the early enemies of the industrial revolution went on about the massive wave of unemployment that would naturaly follow the substitution of workforce through machines.
    in the end there were winners and losers to this process of transition, as there were in d2, as there are and will be in wow.

what im saying is: get with the times.

10+ Year Old Account
    u mad? becaue you sound mad

there is a big difference. the bot does what any player can do and is allowed to do. now, while i admit that the bot is against the rules blizzard set for this game, i dont see a general moral dilema here.
    you refuse to acknowledge the substitution of manual labor against automated process in a way and with the exact same arguments the horse carriage lobby tried to stop the advance of the automobile or how the early enemies of the industrial revolution went on about the massive wave of unemployment that would naturaly follow the substitution of workforce through machines.
    in the end there were winners and losers to this process of transition, as there were in d2, as there are and will be in wow.

what im saying is: get with the times.
    What you seem to refuse to acknowledge... or rather, fail to acknowledge in your allegory, and perhaps in your mind, is that this is a video game. You can attempt to rationalize it all you want, but there is no justification for botting at all; it is against the rules, and that is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Armagedous
    Hey, if you are willing to speed in your car, why not just run over pedestrians.

There isn't an lota of difference...(I felt awful retyping that...)
    Again: Video game.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-11-13 at 08:51 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Might've not been a smart idea to post this here - considering some people will just ticket.
    Just making sure that those that have hatred to bot users can see the different side of the coin for once.
    They might do that but it's so unlikely that you will getting any form of punishment so it doesn't really matter. But as a general hint though...don't do something you don't want to.

the bot does what any player can do and is allowed to do
    Retarded argument is retarded. I want to see you farming on and I am going to be generous here three chars simultaneously for 24/7. Please do me the favor and pull that off for a couple weeks.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-11-13 at 08:58 AM.

You should play a game 'cause its fun? Not cheat your fortune in it and do because you're "lazy". Sure, botting can be pretty effective during some states of the game but its actually ruins the game for non-botters. For example the end game battlegrounds. Who actually thinks its fun to run around alone in a bg and the rest of the "players" aren't actually playing, just botting.

I'd say harder rules on the bots. Or atleast Blizzards tries to fix the problem in some way...
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

Deleted
    There is no reasoning with people like you.
    If you don't see a problem with bots, you won't even grasp the arguments against botting.

Deleted
    Those that have no life and play all day get pissed off watching others botting.
    Yes ofc they could also run a bot programme but wtf will the do all day.

I would imagine there are more bots in Bgs during the day when people are at school or work.
    Removing all the bots would probably mean a very long wait for a BG at these times.

Banning professional gold farmers is different to the ordinary customers who are botting.
    The gold farmers expect it.
    Those that are botting for their own needs are likely to quit if banned.
    Whatever you think sub numbers are declining, so maybe you can see the reluctance by Blizz to go mad banning people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephismo View Post
    Those that have no life and play all day get pissed off watching others botting.
    Yes ofc they could also run a bot programme but wtf will the do all day.
    I don't play WoW all day. I have one level 90 character. I have a cushy amount of gold. And guess what? One of my professions is engineering. Not too much gold to be made with that. Honestly, people complain about how making gold is "difficult." The only things I make money off of currently are selling BOE greens on the AH, the occasional blue, and maybe a handful of golden lotus bought with spirits of harmony, or some spare trillium bars I have sitting around.

I would imagine there are more bots in Bgs during the day when people are at school or work.
    Removing all the bots would probably mean a very long wait for a BG at these times.
    I would rather wait longer in a BG queue and win, or at least have a good match, than get my ass handed to me because half of my team decided a 15 minute battleground was too much time.

Banning professional gold farmers is different to the ordinary customers who are botting.
    The gold farmers expect it.
    Those that are botting for their own needs are likely to quit if banned.
    Whatever you think sub numbers are declining, so maybe you can see the reluctance by Blizz to go mad banning people.
    I don't think the number of people botting are as large as you indirectly make them out to be.

And what needs, exactly, are they botting for? You don't "need" vast sums of gold to do... much of anything in terms of progression, you don't "need" honor gear (especially if you aren't going to play the actual battlegrounds...)
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-11-13 at 09:31 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The only problem I see with bots is that they ruin every BG if there is more than 1 of them.
    If you got two bots on your team, it's pretty much a loss...

I couldn't care less about gathering bots though, mats just get cheaper when there is a bunch of bots farming them.

But does Blizzard care? That's the real issue, I hope they are doing their best to ban every botter - it's an exploit and cheating in the game. Makes things easier for those who are willing to pay that extra cash for a 3rd party program..
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I failed to add I figure without bots crafting materials would skyrocket, and I don't think anybody wants that.
    no they would not. ppl would go and farm em. like before you know. prices would go up but not even close to skyrocketing.

bots are the major problem in this game. and while i hate to resolve to the argument they pay 15$ so they wont ban em i am more and more starting to belive in it

every time i go farm and i find something that looks like a bot i just mark them
    i don't realy like bots, fishing is the only exeption that i make when i hear from someone "hey anyone got a cool fishing bot" since fishing JUST SUCKS the big one
    but if i hear "jeah got a cool bot that lvls my char or farms mats" and i don't realy like him i just mark that sucker ^^

15+ Year Old Account

Why play at all then . Just watch a clip on youtube or similar if you want to see the game.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Resource botting, which the OP seems primarily focused on makes it harder for legitimate players to sell and make gold from resources they collect. PvP botting has a much more direct impact as it ruins the gameplay for everyone else in the Battleground with them.

Really, we shouldn't care that our game play experience is significantly impacted by cheaters? Maybe some of the aloofness I've been seeing about botting lately is because botting is too benign a term, we should call it what it is, Automated Cheating.

Deleted
    Are you implying that bots are like cheap import labor, and that they're healthy for the economics?

"Made in china"

Bots are bad, mkay?

One way or another it will settle itself.
    No botters, is less recources, means resources it's price will increase.
    Meaning more people will farm since you can earn more money from it.
    More people farm it, more people will undercut each other, price will drop.
    Less people will farm since the price is dropping, less people farm price will increase.
    Price will increase, more people will farm(repeat) Eventually you'll have balance.

How ever since more people whom farm will gain money they can spend it again on other things which is good for the in game economics.

No I did not study economy and I'm just talking a lot of horse sh* how ever, it does make sense no? It does to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Palatje View Post
    Are you implying that bots are like cheap import labor, and that they're healthy for the economics?

"Made in china"

Bots are bad, mkay?

One way or another it will settle itself.
    No botters, is less recources, means resources it's price will increase.
    Meaning more people will farm since you can earn more money from it.
    More people farm it, more people will undercut each other, price will drop.
    Less people will farm since the price is dropping, less people farm price will increase.
    Price will increase, more people will farm(repeat) Eventually you'll have balance.

How ever since more people whom farm will gain money they can spend it again on other things which is good for the in game economics.

No I did not study economy and I'm just talking a lot of horse sh* how ever, it does make sense no? It does to me!
    But then again, all prices on crafted stuff will get lower aswell. Because people now farm the mats insted of buying cheap mats at the auction house.

- Farm mats
    - Craft gear/gems/flasks at a lower price
    - Profit for those that got the time to farm 5 hours a day.

Insted of how it is now:
    - Buy mats
    - Craft at a higher price
    - Profit as long as you don't get to much undercut by those who actually farm.

So if everyone starts to farm their own mats (As many do, without bots), and the prices of said mats prices skyrocket it will hurt the economy of many people I assume. Because most of those that are sitting on a million gold only spend a couple of hours a week buying stuff from AH and making a profit of it. (Transmute, crafting etc)

But don't get me wrong, I'm not protecting botters here. They are scrubs that ruin for me in BGs! Cant say I care that much about gathering bots.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    Most bots are hard to detect, Blizzard is doing their best to get rid of them, it's just so difficult, honestly, they behave just like people do.

u really believe in this? how hard is to detect lvl 85 "flying" at jade forest?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I have been noticing a tremendous amount of complaints about botting but I still cannot grasp why anyone cares. Well firstly let me say botting is bad, and Blizzard needs to control it, but at this point I don't see it as a problem.

You can still make a small fortune working the AH in a matter of days (let the bots farm). Frankly aside from a few ruined battlegrounds where is botting hurting anyone? Endgame is unaffected (arena, raiding).

Opinions?
    The biggest reason i hate bots and botters is because of the shit that i spent ages of boring hours on (for instance leveling fishing or archaeology for mounts/titles/alt gear etc.) they get by being asleep or in school/at work.

The game is all about having a unique character and being better than the rest, and e-peen game (to me, anyway).
    I play for fun, but leveling up a character through PvP is just horrible atm, and i used to enjoy that.

How is raiding and arena unaffected? i've seen TSG's bot above 2.2k rating, and i'm pretty sure you can bot all the dailies people are complaning about, thus giving you better gear in raids for doing nothing (with the coins).

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand your point. Bots aren't ruining the game or anything, but Blizzard does need to continue to stay on top of it to keep it from becoming a huge problem. I think they do a pretty good job (I've never personally encountered an obvious bot), but they definitely shouldn't just stop worrying about it.
    Let me show you a video i made the other day, then i'll show you obvious bots :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGW3KZ9cKyI&feature=plcp