Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer restarts itself or freezes randomly?

Hey guys, been having this problem for a few months now and it is getting really frustrating. My computer will randomly either freeze, or completely just turn it self off and then back on. It happens at all kinds of intervals: When I am playing WOW or Guildwars 2, when I am browsing the web (ESPECIALLY if I am scrolling throw posts on forums or tumblr), so on, so forth. It's very frustrating.

At first I thought it may be viruses or spyware, but after running Spybot, Malwarebytes and other free anti-viruses, I came up with nothing. I even reinstalled (But not reformatted) windows a few months ago, which did nothing for it at all. I also thought it could be a heating issue as it tends to get pretty hot. Some times up to 70 degrees celsius when I am gaming. I only have one fan, and I downloaded EVGA Precision X to speed up my fan when I am playing to try and reduce heat, but this isn't really helping.

I am kind of at a loss at this point. I'll post what specs I can, but I am not very computer savy, so if you need more information just tell me how to find it.

DX DIAG:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120830-0334)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7680

BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/14/11 09:35:28 Ver: 04.06.04

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4078MB RAM

Page File: 4081MB used, 4073MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

-------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 460

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13733842&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2761 MB

Dedicated Memory: 978 MB

Shared Memory: 1783 MB

There's more but I dont know what else you need

Deleted
    If it's a heating problem, could be dust so try and clean it, If that doesn't help it might be your thermal paste that has dried up and needs to be replaced.

Sounds like bad memory, though I could be wrong.

Check out: http://www.memtest.org/

10+ Year Old Account
    One fan? Eesh man, that sounds to be like your computer is overheating and restarting itself to prevent damage. I don't go around recommending water cooling to everyone, but with how much evergy technology takes these days I would at least look into a heatsink for your CPU, maybe a couple fans for the case itself.

Mine runs at 3.5ghz and was running 75 celcius until I replaced it with a 45 dollar heat sink and now they run at 45 tops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's home built but, I kind of just bought what I was told and then brought them to a friend to have him put it together because I am clumsy and oafish. The Hard drives are old. The main one is an older 150gb hard drive, and the other is an 80g slave that my friend gave me to help get a bit more space.

Deleted
    your CPU is just overheating - end of story

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the cheapest way to fix this? I don't like to sound like that guy, but things have pretty rough. Would getting another fan or two solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    What is the cheapest way to fix this? I don't like to sound like that guy, but things have pretty rough. Would getting another fan or two solve the problem?

Sounds like an issues with either cpu/gpu temperatures or maybe psu overheating or going bad. Hard to tell when you don't have the pc next to you to see it for yourself.

But first thing I'd do is open the case up and clean out the dust especially around the cpu heatsink and fan, video card fan and also your case fan(s).

Does your case have any intake fans or just an outake in the back only?

70c on load for your cpu or gpu is not bad. On idle? that's bad

Yes it would help putting in some intake fans (front, side or bottom) but it's important that you clean it up inside especially if it's been a long time since you've last done it.

If you can take some pics from the inside the case and post them I can give you some more details/pointers.

After that try runing your cpu/gpu on stock settings if you're overclocking them. You may not have a stable overclock.

To be sure run 10 passes of a standard test in Intel burn test. That should give u an idea if the system is stable.

To check your temps use these 2 programs:

cpu temps: Coretemp
    gpu temps: MSI Afterburner
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-11-13 at 11:05 PM.

please ensure that your power supply works properly & also check Ram. if they are working then you have bad sector in your hard drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    please ensure that your power supply works properly & also check Ram. if they are working then you have bad sector in your hard drive.
    This... This... and more of this... Its not CPU/GPU... It is a bad sector in your hard drive. Time to buy a new hard drive and your done... Easy fix. if your not good with computers than find a store near you (Do not use Geek Squad as there CRAZY expensive) and have them swap the drives and transfer your data. I did mine and including the 1 gb hard drive it cost me $145 US... Havent had a problem since.

I would start by looking into your memory. This kind of behavior is very likely a result of memory problems, either incapability or incorrect voltage. I built a computer for my brother using 1.65v memory, that the motherboard was volting at 1.58 volts. he experienced periodic bluescreens and the computer turning itself off. Is your configuration 4x1GB ram sticks or 2x2GB? 4 sticks may need a small nudge higher on the voltage to keep completely stable. The i5 2500k is SUPPOSED to have 1.5v memory, but 1.65v has been tested and proven to work fine with the processor.

As for overheating CPU, you would have to seriously have heat issues for that to be the case. TJMAX for the 2500k is like ~109 C. Download coretemp and monitor where each core sits while under the load of a program like intel burn test or prime 95. If you memory is not properly volted these programs could cause a blue screen though. This blue screen shouldn't hurt anything, and is simply part of the process of stabilizing your PC.

The other option is that your heatsink is improperly seated on the CPU. Even the stock heatsink should NOT have a problem cooling the processor if seated properly and without an overclock. Installing the stock heatsink can be a PITA because it doesn't give a very evident signal that it is connected. I always try to pull the heatsink off, and if there is a good deal of resistance it is most likely properly installed, if it wiggles or a corner pulls out of the hole it is not installed properly.

A faulty power supply could be part of your problems, but I would try everything above before attempting a different/new power supply.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by drglnc View Post
    This... This... and more of this... Its not CPU/GPU... It is a bad sector in your hard drive. Time to buy a new hard drive and your done... Easy fix. if your not good with computers than find a store near you (Do not use Geek Squad as there CRAZY expensive) and have them swap the drives and transfer your data. I did mine and including the 1 gb hard drive it cost me $145 US... Havent had a problem since.
    What you have suggested is complete conjecture. This problem seems to persist no matter what he is doing, and at random intervals. Normally issues relating to the hard drive are repeatable, and if the drive is able to spin up are often repairable. Let's try checking all of the possible problems that do not involve shelling out money to repair something first.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:44 PM ----------

If you are getting a BSOD please let us know what the code is as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/935829/th...bsod-code-list

This will list likely reasons for the BSOD. If there is no BSOD once again I would point to memory rather than processor issues.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-11-14 at 07:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys, it has been a while, but, after a lot of testing, some additions, and a deep clean, I am having no luck.

Over the weekend we did the following:
    Took out every major part, dusted it, cleaned it, scrubbed off dust (I have dogs and the hair was all over) with non-static spray, etc. Re-seated things with new thermal grease, installed a new fan (could not add two, although we tried to find a spot for it.), and even reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

None of these things helped, and it continued to restart itself randomly. We then did a CrystalDisk Scan, and it told me that everything was fine on both of my harddrives. I am still concerned about the harddrive, as it is somewhat old. (5yrs maybe?). We also did a Memtest, and after 12 passes (went to the movies while it ran) everything came up clean on my ram.

My friends (who are IT for major companies) are VERY confused. They can't pinpoint the problem at all. They did notice my Battery seemed slightly discolored.. but had no clue why...

***I DO NOT GET BSOD*** at ANY TIME.

They have suggested it may be the Motherboard, or the Harddrive ...but again, funds are tight and would rather not buy one and it be the other, or buy both and it be option three.

Anything anyone could think of?
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    Hi guys, it has been a while, but, after a lot of testing, some additions, and a deep clean, I am having no luck.

Over the weekend we did the following:
    Took out every major part, dusted it, cleaned it, scrubbed off dust (I have dogs and the hair was all over) with non-static spray, etc. Re-seated things with new thermal grease, installed a new fan (could not add two, although we tried to find a spot for it.), and even reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

None of these things helped, and it continued to restart itself randomly. We then did a CrystalDisk Scan, and it told me that everything was fine on both of my harddrives. I am still concerned about the harddrive, as it is somewhat old. (5yrs maybe?). We also did a Memtest, and after 12 passes (went to the movies while it ran) everything came up clean on my ram.

My friends (who are IT for major companies) are VERY confused. They can't pinpoint the problem at all. They did notice my Battery seemed slightly discolored.. but had no clue why...

***I DO NOT GET BSOD*** at ANY TIME.

They have suggested it may be the Motherboard, or the Harddrive ...but again, funds are tight and would rather not buy one and it be the other, or buy both and it be option three.

Anything anyone could think of?
    I know it's a pita, but try swapping out the power supply. My brother had a bad rail connecting to his HD which would cause a freeze or hard crash (because the HD would essentially shut off as soon as something did a major load, like renewing his winamp library.)

If it's dying straight up and rebooting, I'd be even more suspicous of the PSU.

Also, seems silly, but check the outlet and powerbar the machine's connected to. It could be that something's loose and you're just nudging it causing a brief skip/drop in power. Doubly so if you haven't done so in a long time.

EDIT:

Also, check event viewer. they'll be a bunch of "Unexpected shutdown" logs, see if anything's popping up right beforehand. just because you don't see the BSOD doesn't mean you can rule out drivers/OS.

Start -> (search): event viewer
    Last edited by blackblade; 2012-12-17 at 07:30 PM.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those symptoms are typically indicative of a failing power supply. Do as blackblade suggests and test your system using a different power supply.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

10+ Year Old Account
    The power supply didn't seem likely, because it also Freezes as well as restarts. Plus, it turns on and sometimes functions normally for days without error. Then, it'll restart 3 times in an evening. Then not again til the next day. Then it will freeze. It is unpredictable and impossible to recreate. Plus, it happens during times of idleness or when I am just browsing forums or tumblr or facebook, not just when I am gaming. So, half the time it happens, barely any power is being used!!

It has happened in more places than just my house too, so I dont think it's the outlets.

Deleted
    The 2 main concerns that I can see are:-
    (1) The high temperature (i.e. 70°C), though of what is unclear.
    (2) I'm not sure what programs you were running at the time of that dxdiag post, but the page file read out seems strange. Have you ever had any Windows pop-up messages in the lower right corner of the desktop, saying anything about 'virtual memory being too low?'
    Anyhow, to get a better idea of what may be going on, could you post your RAM specifications, PSU voltage, as well as elaborate on what is running at 70°C (i.e. CPU, GPU, case, etc.), please.
    [N.B. Can't say for sure, but from what I remember, the gtx 460 had over-heating issues]
    Last edited by mmocfa666c52a6; 2012-12-18 at 12:26 AM.

You could run a stress test on the cpu, with prime95 for example, if it crashes shortly after, it may mean that your cpu is overheating.
    Then you could run a stress test on your GPU, furmark for example, if it crashes it is most likely either your GPU or PSU that is failing.
    Im quite sure that stress testing your GPU would give you a crash, as currently in any games your CPU does not have to do much work as it is held back by your GPU, so basically your GPU is at 100% load all the time when you are gaming and that somehow leads to a crash, but I kind of think it is either GPU or PSU, but it could be motherboard as well, though it is a bit unlikely. I dont think your HDDs are failing, you wouldn't simply get a freeze or restart then, and during gaming your HDDs are really not doing anything, except during loading screens.

After reading your latest post it kind of seems it is your motherboard failing, but doing some testing does not hurt.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldaran View Post
    The 2 main concerns that I can see are:-
    (1) The high temperature (i.e. 70°C), though of what is unclear.
    (2) I'm not sure what programs you were running at the time of that dxdiag post, but the page file read out seems strange. Have you ever had any Windows pop-up messages in the lower right corner of the desktop, saying anything about 'virtual memory being too low?'
    Anyhow, to get a better idea of what may be going on, could you post your RAM specifications, PSU voltage, as well as elaborate on what is running at 70°C (i.e. CPU, GPU, case, etc.), please.
    [N.B. Can't say for sure, but from what I remember, the gtx 460 had over-heating issues]
    Some answers: The 70oC is the GPU's heat if I remember correctly, though this should be corrected now with the addition of a fan and the deep cleaning we did. Further, it restarts and freezes even at 40oC. It usually gets that hot when I am gaming.

No, I am never told my virtual memory is low.

My PSU is 650 I believe. I have 4GB of RAM.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    You could run a stress test on the cpu, with prime95 for example, if it crashes shortly after, it may mean that your cpu is overheating.
    Then you could run a stress test on your GPU, furmark for example, if it crashes it is most likely either your GPU or PSU that is failing.
    Im quite sure that stress testing your GPU would give you a crash, as currently in any games your CPU does not have to do much work as it is held back by your GPU, so basically your GPU is at 100% load all the time when you are gaming and that somehow leads to a crash, but I kind of think it is either GPU or PSU, but it could be motherboard as well, though it is a bit unlikely. I dont think your HDDs are failing, you wouldn't simply get a freeze or restart then, and during gaming your HDDs are really not doing anything, except during loading screens.

After reading your latest post it kind of seems it is your motherboard failing, but doing some testing does not hurt.
    So to stress test the CPU, use Prime95 and to stress test the GPU, I use Furmark, which will also test the PSU?

Are these programs pretty easy to use? Remember, you're dealing with a retard here!