Stagger damage question.

I'm currently leveling a monk right now, I'm enjoying Brewmaster, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question about stagger. With 20% stagger, if I get hit for 100 damage, I take 20 damage over 10 seconds. If I get hit 5 seconds later for another 100 damage I would then stagger another 20 damage over 10 seconds. Does this mean I'll take 40 damage over 5 seconds and then it drops down to 20 damage for the last 5 seconds?

Basically, does the damage stay constant every time stagger gets refreshed, or does it tick on me in the manner I was hit?

Basically, your stagger damage ramps up every time it's refreshed. So with every consecutive boss hit, that DoT will tick for higher and higher damage until it either kills you, the mob that is attacking you stops doing so, or is purified through PB.

So if you get hit for 100 damage and stagger 20%, you'll have a DoT of 20 damage over 10 seconds. Upon the second hit, you'll have a DoT of 30 damage over 10 seconds, continuing to ramp up until it's purified, you stop combat and the 10 second DoT ends its duration, or you die.

Alright, thank you for the swift response, although this saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Basically, your stagger damage ramps up every time it's refreshed. So with every consecutive boss hit, that DoT will tick for higher and higher damage until it either kills you, the mob that is attacking you stops doing so, or is purified through PB.

So if you get hit for 100 damage and stagger 20%, you'll have a DoT of 20 damage per second for 10 seconds. Upon the second hit, you'll have a DoT of 40 damage per second for 10 seconds, continuing to ramp up until it's purified, you stop combat and the 10 second DoT ends its duration, or you die.
    You sure about that? That means out of 200 damage, he's taken 160 directly, and then 500 stagger damage...

Shouldn't it work that he takes 80, takes 2 damage per second for 5 seconds, take 80, and then take 3 damage per second for 10 seconds?

EDIT: But yes, it does ramp up like that--which is a good thing, as it makes you take that damage over a longer more manageable period of time until you get to purifying.
    Last edited by Disgruntler; 2012-11-13 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntler View Post
    You sure about that? That means out of 200 damage, he's taken 160 directly, and then 300 stagger damage...

Shouldn't it work that he takes 80, takes 2 damage per second for 5 seconds, take 80, and then take 3 damage per second for 10 seconds?
    It doesn't give you damage based on priority of hits.

If you take 100 damage, and stagger 50, you take 50 damage over 10secs, which is 5 damage a second.

if you take a hit for 200 2secs later, and stagger 80, you now have 40 left on your 50 stagger, but they are now recalculated with the 80, to become 120 over 10 secs, i.e 12/sec in stagger damage.

It does this constantly until a boss stops hitting you for 10secs, or you purifying brew it off.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    semantic problems with this thread

x damage FOR 10 seconds is the not the same as x damage OVER 10 seconds

The first would impy that that more your stagger the more damage you take in total terms, but you never can take more damage that what the initial strike would have been unstaggered.

You sure about that? That means out of 200 damage, he's taken 160 directly, and then 500 stagger damage...

EDIT: But yes, it does ramp up like that--which is a good thing, as it makes you take that damage over a longer more manageable period of time until you get to purifying.
    I wouldn't necessarily consider that a good thing, though. It means more damage being taken then you actually received if it gets refreshed with the new hit. But since you can drop the stacks I guess it evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    semantic problems with this thread

x damage FOR 10 seconds is the not the same as x damage OVER 10 seconds

The first would impy that that more your stagger the more damage you take in total terms, but you never can take more damage that what the initial strike would have been unstaggered.
    Yes, that's correct. I didn't have my cereal just yet :P

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    It doesn't give you damage based on priority of hits.

If you take 100 damage, and stagger 50, you take 50 damage over 10secs, which is 5 damage a second.

if you take a hit for 200 2secs later, and stagger 80, you now have 40 left on your 50 stagger, but they are now recalculated with the 80, to become 120 over 10 secs, i.e 12/sec in stagger damage.

It does this constantly until a boss stops hitting you for 10secs, or you purifying brew it off.
    And that is exactly what I said. In his example:

He takes 80 damage straight off, 20 is staggered over 10 seconds. That's a 2 damage/second dot. Then he takes that second hit he mentioned. That's another 80 damage, and he has 10 damage left on his first dot. 10+20 = 30 damage over 10 seconds, which is a 3 damage/second dot.

So, yes, he would take 80 damage, a 2 damage/second dot, 80 damage, and then a 3 damage per second dot.

Quote Originally Posted by ragecloud View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily consider that a good thing, though. It means more damage being taken then you actually received if it gets refreshed with the new hit. But since you can drop the stacks I guess it evens out.
    Nope. Total damage dealt by 2 100 point swings =200.

80+5s(2/s)+80+10s(3/s)
    =160+10+30
    =200
    Last edited by Disgruntler; 2012-11-13 at 04:00 PM.

i dont think so....

if u take a 2 hits for 100 each 2s after each... assuming u have just 20% stagger...
    first hit u get 20 stagger over 10s (2 per s) and them u get another 20( another 2 per s)

it goes like this

2 - 2 - 4 - 4- 4- 4- 4- 4 - 4- 2- 2

assuming that u dont get another damage...

i tank and im used to see my stagger damage drop from 9k to 6k per second...
    its a interesting mecanic

It works exactly like Ignite, the Blackout Kick DoT, or any other rolling dot. It does exactly what it says on the tin, you take some of the damage, and then the rest over the next 10 seconds, it just consolidates the debuff into one icon and one tick to avoid crowding your screen with numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    you stop combat and the 10 second DoT ends its duration, or you die.
    10 points to anyone that makes both of these condition come true at once =P
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    10 points to anyone that makes both of these condition come true at once =P
    Easily done.

Group stands in fire, dies. You then die. Death ends DoT and stops combat.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oozaoru View Post
    i dont think so....

if u take a 2 hits for 100 each 2s after each... assuming u have just 20% stagger...
    first hit u get 20 stagger over 10s (2 per s) and them u get another 20( another 2 per s)

it goes like this

2 - 2 - 4 - 4- 4- 4- 4- 4 - 4- 2- 2

assuming that u dont get another damage...

i tank and im used to see my stagger damage drop from 9k to 6k per second...
    its a interesting mecanic
    ^this seen it also happen that dmg drops if you havent been atked for some time and then get hit again it grows again

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically correct is the best kind of correct.
    Pfft I want to see something like this if you want full credit:

Garalon has died.
    Stagger does X damage to Disgruntler.
    Disgruntler has died.
    Stagger fades.

heh
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by corola10 View Post
    ^this seen it also happen that dmg drops if you havent been atked for some time and then get hit again it grows again
    Yeah, say you take 100 damage in hit one, that's 20 damage over time or 2 damage per second.
    Then you get hit once 5 seconds later for 100 again, for 5 seconds the damage you take is 400 (or 4 damage per second), and then since the first staggers damage would have ran out, you take 2 damage per second again.

I've seen my stagger hit yellow, then go back to green (within 2-3 seconds of getting yellow), then when i take another hit go yellow again.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Just log into the game and test it.

Wild Mountain Goat Melee hit You 2277 Physical. (1841 Absorbed)
    Your Stagger damaged You 184 Physical.
    Wild Mountain Goat Melee hit You 2561 Physical. (2072 Absorbed)
    Your Stagger damaged You 373 Physical.
    After the second hit, the rest of the remaining stagger was applied evenly over the entire new 10s duration.

((1841 - 184) + 2072) / 10 = 372.9 tick damage

You can see that the value of the ticks never suddenly dropped.

The dot reduce you all see comes from taking hits after a long time again (you avoided 2 hits for example)

Lets say 100k dmg, 50% stagger, so after your first hit, stagger ticks for 5k/sec.
    Lets say you get hit 5 times in a row and stagger got to 20k/sec (not calculated, but real value doesnt matter).
    Now you dont get hit for 6sec and stagger ticked for 120k dmg with a rest of 80k dmg now.
    You now get hit for 100k again where 50k is converted to stagger, so we have 80k remaining stagger + 50k new stagger = 130k total stagger -> 13k/sec which is less than before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHA778 View Post
    Just log into the game and test it.
    I hope that big mean Mountain Goat didn't kill you =(
    [/URL]