Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    So you think LFR is good for this game? People can /follow someone and get up to 6 free epics per raid more if the use the valor they get?
    I think it's a good thing, yes, because it means everyone gets to see the lore and the storylines. Do I give a flying fuck about the gear? No, except when it involves someone (and it's invariably, almost every single time, some spit-flinging 'hardcore' who thinks they deserve to dictate what other people should get) being a rude, annoying, obstructive dicksmack about it or throwing a colossal baby-tantrum because someone else getting a little bit of gear somehow threatens their masculinity.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

So you think LFR is good for this game? People can /follow someone and get up to 6 free epics per raid more if the use the valor they get?
    I just want to point out how utterly outdated this post is.

Epics have been easy to acquire since S1 In TBC, hell my first raid weapons were those sexy ass 71 DPS gladiator swords on my fury warrior. Stop beating the dead horse.

It's no longer the color of the equipment, it's the quality of said equipment. The difference between LFR equipment and heroic equipment is substantial, they're hardly comparable.

At the end of the day this is an RPG, the progression of ones character is what keeps you playing. If all you can acquire is a certain power of equipment and you can never hope to ever do better you'll probably quit. Whether people want to admit it or not the power creep is the lifeblood of an MMO. It's why I stopped playing GW2, I got full exotics and then went 'so what now?'

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it's very good for the game. Sorry it offends you somehow that there is additional content for people but whatever.

Most people who played during Vanilla and TBC don't want Vanilla and TBC back. They want the amazing parts of Vanilla and TBC back that Blizzard has basically said aren't things that make a lot of money, so most of them are gone.

If you actually played during Vanilla and TBC (which I am not pretending most people on these forums did) and you experienced the game like I did (because you could have played back then and hated it, granted), then you would know why people want those times back. Were there flaws? Absolutely. Is the game easier and much more convenient now? Absolutely. Is the game perfect now? No. Was the game perfect then? No.

I understand people are tired of seeing new threads every week about how "Vanilla and TBC were amazing, bring it back", but people are also tired of seeing new threads every week about how "OMG Nostalgia LAWL, every part of Vanilla and TBC sucked" or "I didn't play back then but I like the current game so I am going to make a thread arguing against Vanilla and TBC." Seriously, stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    I think it's a good thing, yes, because it means everyone gets to see the lore and the storylines. Do I give a flying fuck about the gear? No, except when it involves someone (and it's invariably, almost every single time, some spit-flinging 'hardcore' who thinks they deserve to dictate what other people should get) being a rude, annoying, obstructive dicksmack about it or throwing a colossal baby-tantrum because someone else getting a little bit of gear somehow threatens their masculinity.
    Every one could see lore and storyline in raids since vanilla though, back then it just took a tiny amount of time and skill, now it takes no effort at all, and the 25 people that do LFR together, maybe 1-2 are slightly interested in Lore.

So that's a bad excuse, Blizz wanted every one, regardless of skill, to see everything in the raid, and they had to put an incentive (gear) to do these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusionalcompromise View Post
    Epics have been easy to acquire since S1 In TBC, hell my first raid weapons were those sexy ass 71 DPS gladiator swords on my fury warrior. Stop beating the dead horse.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but even the badges gear was way harder to obtain than LFR gear is nowadays (not to mention that you can get full top tier gear and even tier bonus by afking LFR).

And sorry but if you try to compare obtaining PVP gear in TBC to obtaining top tier PVE gear and even tier bonus in Cata/MoP, you're doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    Every one could see lore and storyline in raids since vanilla though, back then it just took a tiny amount of time and skill, now it takes no effort at all, and the 25 people that do LFR together, maybe 1-2 are slightly interested in Lore.
    Seeing the story shouldn't require you to go to websites to learn the best specs and math out the best reforge. LFR already gives items less powerful then Normal and Heroic, so who cares?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sys01 View Post
    Even if there would be "a way" to go back in time and play Vanilla / BC all over again, there's nothing to go back to. Everything that has changed in WoW has changed for the better. So yeah nostalgia sucks. It wasn't normal to farm your life's hours to get a ground mount that cost 1000g. I like it how it is now, can have real life but at the same time can have a bit of WoW too, without sucking at it, too much.
    I'm actually going to disagree. I'm currently playing on a vanilla server and I'm more hooked to the game than cata and WOTLK ever managed to.

problem was that back then, it was accepted that "normal" people didn't play the game. You HAD to put time in to it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think you can label everyone who thinks the game was more fun back during vanilla/BC as all being people who are just wearing rose tinted glasses. i dont think thats a fair arguement.

i enjoyed vanilla/BC more than WOTLK/Cata for a variety of reasons. the first being that WoW was my first MMO. during vanilla everything was just different than anything i had ever played, when BC came along it was again all just new and expansive because we were journeying to a new exciting place. when WOTLK and Cata came out i was accustomed to change and while i loved northrend and WOTLK as a whole, the excitedness in change wasnt as high because i had already experienced it.

friends and guildies is another reason. this point could be argued from many angles i suppose but frankly none of my friends are playing WoW anymore. about mid way thru Cata we all collectively agreed that WoW was just old and we were looking to move on to something else. we are a fairly tight knit group, i've been playing numerous other games with all of them since 2004. when a new game comes out we all pick it up and check it out.

tldr - i dont think you can label every person who claims WoW was better in vanilla/BC as being nostalgic. for me, on a personal level, the game was more enjoyable during that period. i get free week offers every now and then from blizzard and i think "cool ill check it out" and i find myself spending more time downloading the client than i do actually playing the game. its simply not fun for me anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Not helping but....

Was listening to a whole bunch of WotLK music today and was just sitting there like "I miss this...."

So the point is kinda there. Nostalgia does make me miss the older times, as it does for everybody.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but even the badges gear was way harder to obtain than LFR gear is nowadays (not to mention that you can get full top tier gear and even tier bonus by afking LFR).

And sorry but if you try to compare obtaining PVP gear in TBC to obtaining top tier PVE gear and even tier bonus in Cata/MoP, you're doing something wrong.
    I was responding to his complaint about the ease of acquiring epics as a gear quality. And even if it is easy to obtain, so what? It gives people something to do. If you raid outside of LFR then your gear will always be better, you will know their better. So let people have their toys.

As for me comparing the S1 rewards to current gear, what's wrong with that? At the time when those were available they were as powerful, if not more powerful than the first tier of gear from raids. At least now your normal or heroic mode chest piece of pickled eggs is better than Joe Rockheads LFR version.

I used to do the hardcore thing, used to be an elitist, used to think the scrubs should just stick to their normals and wipe on heroic 5-man Blood Pens because they're baddies. Years later I just don't see the point. You get yours and they get theirs. And you can still say you're better if you do seriously have a stick shoved that far up there.

Says the people who have no idea what the game was like back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Agreed!

Especially when the topic is LFD. I don't care how loudly you yell about it, playing on a low-pop RP server during daytime hours and having to spend sometimes two or three DAYS at a time in town spamming trade for a group for a leveling dungeon, or begging a higher-level friend to run you, was not in any way, by any stretch of the imagination, at all better than being able to just queue and get it done.
    which is why you stayed with your guild and ran shit with your guild. i wouldn't trust my guild to piss one me if i was on fire right now. i don't know the fuckers. don't need to know them.

Quote Originally Posted by glycerethe View Post
    Says the people who have no idea what the game was like back then.
    Indeed. Mists is so far removed from any other previous incarnation of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    I'm actually going to disagree. I'm currently playing on a vanilla server and I'm more hooked to the game than cata and WOTLK ever managed to.

problem was that back then, it was accepted that "normal" people didn't play the game. You HAD to put time in to it.
    and those who had no chance knew they had no chance. they played because they enjoyed it for other reasons.

people don't know their places now

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    and those who had no chance knew they had no chance. they played because they enjoyed it for other reasons.

That's aristocracy if I've ever heard it. 'Mmmmh yes, the peasants need to learn their lesson, release the hounds Jeffrey!'

People miss the "simpler times" and for example the look and feel of BC, combined with the bad ass villains. All Blizzard has to do is bring back that look and feel of that expansion and many will be happy again. Not hard to figure out. You want nostalgia, well that expansion will come soon enough. Rumor has it that it will next expansion. If that is the case, maybe finally that will shut up all the whiners yearning for BC. Yeesh. lol

the community has been destroyed and it is impossible to bring back since nearly everyone who played during vanilla/tbc has quit and moved on while being replaced with a different demographic. with out the community you'll never have the same experience as someone who played during that time. some things in vanilla/tbc were more enjoyable than now and somethings in MoP are better than they were in vanilla/tbc.

i personally feel this game is being destroyed by powercreep and homogenization, but that with just a little foresight from the developers they could begin to cut down in the on aspects of the game that are getting out of control and really make an enjoyable gaming experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

I honestly didn't have raid gear and epix in vanilla. But i had so much fun and i'm still having

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    I would but I was permanently banned from their forums. I did exactly that with Diablo 3, and then when the first few patch fixed none of the players concerns I posted screenshots of my refund encouraging others to do the same. So they banned me.

As far as playing something else, I stopped playing WoW in 2010, went and played various other games (Tera, SWTOR, GW2) and am currently back on the free 10 day trial. Unsure to if I will continue after.
    You should probably not get banned from their forums if you have all the answers. C'mon man, help us out here!
    Sarcasm aside, either keep playing or stop whining about it. Almost all of your posts have been about leaving/how bad things are, so I think you have your answer.

OT: Everyone loves nostalgia, but I don't think it will hurt WoW as bad as it seems it will. In my opinion, if they keep going the direction they are going in now, nostalgia won't even be a factor (which I am all for)