Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosys View Post
    What I see happening is a backup of all 1477(246 US realm servers, each realm having outland/northrend/eastern kingdoms/kalimdor/pandaria/instance servers and asuming 1 login server) servers and something stalling. But I could very well be wrong. No one knows, not even the ones who say there should be no reason for this much downtime.
    My guess - backups are done live, other stuff is predictable, this is SQL database scripts to update a stack of stuff as a preparation for 5.1.

Notoriously hard to predict those database updates.

The only reason I'm slightly disgruntled is because it's the only time that you can for sure kill Galleon. It's just more time I have to sit here and stare at the server window waiting for it to come up.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why Blizzard has to do maintenance for all their games, if WoW is down so is Diablo 3 and Starcraft II.

Blizz r smart people need time make stuff good i not smart n cant do that stuff i have evolve while wait for server up better n lot peple play the wow more time me hunt feed family

At this point it will be 7ET before I even get to finish my dailies!!

This is rediculous

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Idk about you, but most Tuesdays have the 5:00am to 11am PDT maint. That's 6 standard hours, almost never less, sometimes more.

WoW has a much larger database. More players. Older servers.

It is only for "most Tuesdays" for 3-4 months after an expansion is released, and 2-3 weeks after a major content patch. The rest of the time, it is usually only a 15 minute restart. I would do a rough estimate of that in my almost 8 years of playing WoW, it has only been a 15 minute restart about 70% of the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, it's just been extended two more hours.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    just to play devils advocate, if the downtime is due to the amount of servers they have, wouldnt it make sense to consolidate some of those really really low pop servers? wouldnt this free up time for them to work on different areas? wouldnt this cause less stress overall since there wouldnt be as many servers to manage?

just curious.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to log in to Blow crafting CD's......not alot to ask. GG blizz.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

I don't think I've ever seen this many threads popping up on the Offical forums about downtime qq. I mean wow

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Oh boy, it's just been extended two more hours.
    Let the 'crying' commence even more huh?

It's sad that this has become regular practice on Tuesdays. I play WoW as much as everyone else but...go outside, buy some snacks,watch TV, Play another game.

And on Tuesday's all the "Tech pro's" come out and say they can do a better job than Blizzard, When in reality I bet that is far from the truth. Yay for lying on the internet.

And may God bless the United States of America, I'm Obama =|

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I don't get why Blizzard has to do maintenance for all their games, if WoW is down so is Diablo 3 and Starcraft II.
    they'll say b.net

they probably just don't want wow players to flood everything and whine

Had to dig this out from when the cata patch was coming out.

Man flipping that switch to open a raid must be pretty rough

10+ Year Old Account
    People on the forums aren't to bright they will bitch and complain regardless, People just need to learn patience.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post

It's sad that this has become regular practice on Tuesdays. I play WoW as much as everyone else but...go outside, buy some snacks,watch TV, Play another game.

And on Tuesday's all the "Tech pro's" come out and say they can do a better job than Blizzard, When in reality I bet that is far from the truth. Yay for lying on the internet.

for every tech pro there is a clueless "blizzard can do no wrong" guy who thinks you have to be super skilled and the best of the best to do this stuff. i know folks who are into modding bethesda games now who would have sworn it was way too complicated for them to ever do it when they first heard about it. now they can produce content worthy of a $25 price tag

Just wanted to say, back in Vanilla any time there was an unexpected overage they gave us a free day of game time. That doesn't happen anymore.

It really isn't a regular practice, since most Tuesdays are just a server restart now. I think Blizzard should just go back to having this maintenance every Tuesday, because apparently all server restarts do is make people bitch when we have more then 15 minutes of downtime

Most people are not saying they could do a better job. What most people ARE saying is that in this day and age with the technology out their and looking at one, their rolling restarts (15 minute downtime per realm) and two, other games out there, the maintenance should not take this long every Tuesday. And it really shouldn't. I work in IT but I'm certainly no expert but I do know having scripts to restart servers and doing them in a row is not that challenging. Now yes, they are releasing more raid environments and it is possible they are setting up for 5.1 but things shouldn't take this long anymore except if their is a serious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    People on the forums aren't to bright they will bitch and complain regardless, People just need to learn patience.
    look man, you come here to vent by defending blizz's right to take your money and give you a loading screen, they come here to vent by bitching about blizz. you aren't better than them. hell you're a lot like them

like it or not, blizz's track record with maintenance is pretty much a meme at this point.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karshda View Post
    It really isn't a regular practice, since most Tuesdays are just a server restart now. I think Blizzard should just go back to having this maintenance every Tuesday, because apparently all server restarts do is make people bitch when we have more then 15 minutes of downtime
    we've had 2 tuesdays since mop launched without a restart, one of those weeks saw a wednesday maintenance day

downtime right now is around 97.5% for mop which is worse than BC, wotlk and cata.

I cant play d3 because they are patching wow, great design.