Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clbembry View Post
    They brought the game from being insanely awesome and extremely fun to just super awesome and fun. That pretty much single-handedly almost partially ruined World PvP. It's still there and it's still fun but it's not there as much and it's not as fun.

On a serious note: Why were they ever introduced into the game? I don't see any benefits besides making WoW the worst game of all time.
    I believe Blizzard's original reasoning was that they wanted to annoy a forum poster from the future by the name of clbembry.
    If I remember correctly, they managed to gleam a vision of the future where he could possibly be annoyed by the introduction
    of a flying mount to few the various panorama's of the world.

In all seriousness, they were introduced for multiple reasons.

1) The design style of outlands was (and is) very disjointed, it's a cracked planet at the end of the day, and not overly accessible
    2) They were brought in as one of the "key new features" with TBC, designed to be one of the many hooks to bring players into WoW
    3) The vista effect and freedom of movement, flying in the air, is a pretty awesome way to see the game world you create.

off the top of my head at least (:

They brought the game from being insanely awesome and extremely fun to just super awesome and fun. That pretty much single-handedly almost partially ruined World PvP. It's still there and it's still fun but it's not there as much and it's not as fun.
    ... how am I supposed to a take post with the phrase "pretty much single-handedly almost partially ruined" seriously? TELL ME HOW!!

On a serious note: Why were they ever introduced into the game? I don't see any benefits besides making WoW the worst game of all time.
    So in your opinion, flying mounts made World of Warcraft worse than the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man?

Interesting.

Deleted
    no players themself killed world pvp. a feature like flying mounts gave players who werent interrested in it the option too avoid it easier.

the fact is that many "true world pvpers" themself killed it by using this feature instead of doing their favorite world pvp game.

stop blaming features while it were the players who "ruined' it

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    No one debunked it because theres nothing to debunk, my WPvP experience died in seconds once I got flying. It was tragic to say the least.
    No, your WPvP experience "died" because you didn't want to do it, i wish people would stop with this rubbish about how Blizz killed WpvP with flyers, It didn't ruin anything, WPvP for those who want it, is still there

How many times have you actually tried to organise some WPvP? I bet that honestly it's zero, Stop expecting everything to be given to you and go out there and actually organise it yourself and you will see that with a little effort, you can find these things, easily

A flying mount beats ANY loading screen when you want to live in Azeroth.

Once you know the world, it is good to have faster travel.

But it needs to stay a world, not some sum of loading screens to load COD like maps ... (like those other MMO's).

A few years back, Blizzard mentioned that to RE make the world FULL 3D (just to be able to fly) it made each zone cost 3 times more to develop (no fake 2D borders etc... within a seamless world).

Seamless back ground loading and FLYING made Azeroth unique in MMO land. Not one other MMO came even close.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-13 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted

A Troll is a Troll is a Troll...
    On a serious note: WoW is the worst game of all time and you still register to a WoW Forum - yeah, right!
    btw how can something that NEVER existed be killed? World PVP has never been anywhere execpt some PVP realms....

That pretty much single-handedly almost partially ruined World PvP.
    It's fascinating to watch some people's bizarre binge-and-purge method of employing maximisers and minimisers in the same sentence. It's like they get halfway through making a strong statement, then lose their nerve and start shovelling qualifiers on top of it in a panic.

This one is like a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

IMO Resilience is what really ended large scale world pvp. I played vanilla for almost 2 years and I never got to lvl 60 cause I would stand in Darn and Q BGS or tried to get a grp or something, and when ever I tried to quest I would spend most of my time killing and ganking horde. Resilience ended this for me because it became literally impossible to kill someone higher lvl than you if you only had crap gear and they had resilience.

In large scale pvp I would follow around the lvl 60s in travel form and let them "tank" and finish off horde with claw spam/FB. Most people in vanilla had terrible gear like myself and so I was able to have a lot of fun. I don't feel like the journey on ground mounts is what made world pvp happen and when I got bird form at lvl 68 in tBC I was ganking more than ever.

TLDR~ World pvp happened a lot in vanilla cause almost everyone was a noob. There was nothing much to do and raiding was hard and BG Qs were long.
    Last edited by yyil; 2012-11-13 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we could fly.

Why are you thinking any deeper than that?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Flying mounts did not kill World PvP at all. Maybe a very small percentage. What killed World PvP is that there really is no "reward/incentive" for people to World PvP. That's what people want and in order to get that there are BG's. Blizzard has even admitted this. The problem is making World PvP rewarding without making it a requirement.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. If you wanna run around everywhere on a mount, then Rift is the MMO for you.
    2. If you hate mounts in general, GW2 is a great MMO that is totally mount-less.

As for me, I'll stick to WoW because I love my wide variety of flying mounts (and its nifty feature of allowing me to access my destinations with ease).
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    This ^

People in general dislike walking and ground riding. Taking paths that are out of the way to where they need to go.

Flying was probably one of the best additions to the game.

Taking it away cause you want people to see your artwork however is moronic at best. Especially knowing players could have the choice to either ride on the ground or fly.

As far as world PVP goes. if people really wanted world PVP it would happen. Players would make it happen. Since it happens so little, it stands to reason the gamers really don't care for it or at least a large number of players don't care for it.

Flying - Best thing to happen to WOW since Dual spec.
    I love how people always bring the 'there's a choice' thing into these types of argument. You're right.

There's 'do something you don't really like because it is so clearly better than what you would like to do that you'd be a fucking moron to not do it' and 'do it anyway and never get another node again'.

Flying mounts hurt WPVP because you don't see players as often as you would if everyone was on the same level. It has nothing to do with 'wanting to do it', and that's honestly a laughable thought.

Finally, Dual Spec came long after flying mounts.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Deleted
    here we go again.
    Flying mounts did not kill world PVP. sure it was a nail in the coffin, but ultimatly The community lacking interest in World PVP killed world PVP.

Why is it that every time this question crops up, that the only thing people are concerned about is world PVP.
    if People wanted to world PVP they would get off their flying mount and do it.

oh and before you say about people flying away from you
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=86584#
    Knock them off their mount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Thats bullshit and you know it, there were still brawling deathmatches in STV and I raided stormwind walls almost all day, I done it more than actual raiding or PvP. Battlegrounds changed it dramatically but it was not ruined completely.
    I actually remember tons of world PvP while queuing for WSG when you had to run to the instance portal because they were really close.....!!

Edit: The WSG instance portals were close for both factions. Just to clarify. :P

If i could vote i would vote for the removal of flying mounts .

Long live Garona Halforcen ! Cheers to Odexy for the Sig !

10+ Year Old Account
    When flying first came out i was so excited i grinded gold for a long time just to get epic flying on my dr00d back in the day
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post

Flying mounts hurt WPVP because you don't see players as often as you would if everyone was on the same level. It has nothing to do with 'wanting to do it', and that's honestly a laughable thought.
    I really believe this is factually false. In tBC there were more players than ever, a smaller world, and shit loads of engagements. Resilience is really what ended WPVP because the majority of players (PVE) can't beat even an amateur player who grinded a lot of resilience.

A lot of people associate flying mounts to people whining about world pvp, while the OP did list that as an example, there are other problems people have with flying mounts. I dislike flying because it just killed the world for me. Yes yes, I know if I don't like flying then I shouldnt fly, and I dont. But there are a lot of people who simply dont realize that flying is what actually ruined the immersion for many, and led people to not appreciate the world or interact with it as much as we used to.

I do agree that world pvp was alive and well in TBC, but that was because of the objectives in the zones which made it something more than just descending from the sky to fight, then instantly fly back up and sit there.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nachoo View Post
    When flying first came out i was so excited i grinded gold for a long time just to get epic flying on my dr00d back in the day
    I got my Swift Flight form the day i dinged 70 when i started, i spent so long levelling up, and became obsessed with having loads of gold i used to sell everything and have two gathering proffs, i loved the item we got so we could farm Ravenlord too,i used to get a nice amount of gold for people wanting to group with me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by benbos View Post
    seamless back ground loading and flying made azeroth unique in mmo land. Not one other mmo came even close.
    ghostlands want to have a word with you...