Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    ExxonMobil is not a monopoly.
    Technically true. Although they actually have more power than any monopoly ever had, they bring in most of the oil that America uses. And they have trade agreements with the other former Standard oil companies to not compete directly in the area that the other companies control.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ardmap.svg.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And you blind hate him and cling to lies that have been debunked many times even a few times in this thread.
    Now now, I wouldn't call it hate. Willful ignorance isn't hate, its actually a useful mechanism that can protect brains from becoming unable to function in situations that they just can't handle. It really doesn't "matter" how successful Obama is or is not. He could save the world and every soul on it tomorrow, and some would bitch that he saved poor people too. Yet their demonizing of Obama actually makes a lot of sense when you consider how publicly and blatantly the "conservative" agenda failed under Junior. His "compassionate conservative" fantasies ended in disaster and some are still butt hurt over reality showing just how fundamentally flawed their beliefs were.

So Obama not only gets all the conservative angst over his "foreign" name, dark skin, and liberal credentials. He also gets all their pent up guilt and frustration over letting Junior molest them, ideologically, for years. With all that emotional baggage? Its no surprise that some conservatives start frothing at the mouth just thinking about Obama. Nor that they would believe anything, so long as it makes Obama seem "bad."
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-14 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Wording
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Now now, I wouldn't call it hate. Willful ignorance isn't hate, its actually a useful mechanism that can protect brains from becoming unable to function in situations that they just can't handle. They've been lying to themselves for so long, that reality simply doesn't matter. It really doesn't "matter" how successful Obama is or is not. He could save the world and every soul on it tomorrow, and some would bitch that he saved poor people too. Yet their demonizing of Obama actually makes a lot of sense when you consider how publicly and blatantly the "conservative" agenda failed under Junior. His "compassionate conservative" fantasies ended in disaster and some are still butt hurt over reality showing just how flawed their beliefs are.

So Obama not only gets all the conservative angst over his "foreign" name, dark skin, and liberal credentials. He also gets all their pent up guilt and frustration over letting Junior molest them, ideologically, for years. With all that emotional baggage? Its no surprise that some conservatives starting frothing at the mouth just thinking about Obama.

Sir Robin, you have a firm grasp of why the right has gone in the insane direction these last 4 years, of course that still doesn't fully justify what they want to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Sir Robin, you have a firm grasp of why the right has gone in the insane direction these last 4 years, of course that still doesn't fully justify what they want to do.
    It may not justify it but, to a degree, it does excuse it. For "some," not all of course, we are really approaching the point where "scorched earth" tactics become acceptable. Politically and economically at least. What has bothered me the most is that I am beginning to see a similar reaction from liberal elements as well. After Bush v Gore and eight years of Junior, some liberals I know were itching to get back into the driver's seat. The republicans behavior, despite reality slapping them across the face, is genuinely angering some liberals. The classic "conservative rage versus liberal guilt" dynamic is pretty confused right now. With increasing amounts of guilt and rage on both sides.

Its actually been quite fascinating to watch it all play out.

If there's one thing I wish for in all this, is that people would stop posting on Facebook making it seem like we're going to wake up tomorrow and America has been renamed Thunderdome.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    If there's one thing I wish for in all this, is that people would stop posting on Facebook making it seem like we're going to wake up tomorrow and America has been renamed Thunderdome.
    Well considering how fed up some democrats are getting? I wouldn't be too shocked if we end up there. Politically at least.

You think Boehner could take Obama? I don't know, Obama looks pretty agile.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-14 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering how fed up some democrats are getting? I wouldn't be too shocked if we end up there. Politically at least.

You think Boehner could take Obama? I don't know, Obama looks pretty agile.
    Honestly, cut spending and raise taxes is the only way to get rid of the National debt at this point. I would say 'F' the 'fiscal cliff' and let the system self correct from the Bush era stupidity. The President should focus on bringing back Jobs and manufacturing industries, I would raise tariffs on all products and services from ALL foreign nations meaning China and all of NAFTA, in fact I would leave NAFTA. It hasn't raised the standard of living in Mexico and has only lowered the standard of living here.

I'm a Texan and if Texas seceded from the union i would literally move to Canada so I could be safe when the civil war breaks out, after it ended I would probably stay in Canada since Texas would be pretty demolished.

Exxon's leaderships are clever, but not nearly so much as Rockefeller was. That man had more brain and brawn than the current Exxon board members put together. If he had been born in 1939 instead of 1839 he would probably own/run North America by now. The guy lived to freaking 97 back then, imagine how long he could probably go for today...

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, cut spending and raise taxes is the only way to get rid of the National debt at this point. I would say 'F' the 'fiscal cliff' and let the system self correct from the Bush era stupidity. The President should focus on bringing back Jobs and manufacturing industries, I would raise tariffs on all products and services from ALL foreign nations meaning China and all of NAFTA, in fact I would leave NAFTA. It hasn't raised the standard of living in Mexico and has only lowered the standard of living here.
    I concur that we should should just go over the "fiscal cliff" and deal with the consequences. Diving so deeply into debt is the only thing that saved us from Great Depression 2.0. We'll have to pay the piper sooner or later. However, it would be a tremendous shock to the financial markets. They've seen how well "austerity" has not worked out for Greece and Spain and at least some would start drawing uncomfortable parallels with the United States. It would also be wise to separate ourselves from the illusion that a free market equals a fair market. However, that would panic the multinationals, which could lead to an even bigger market collapse.

In my opinion, we've been traveling down this road since stagflation. The political, and public, will required to correct it simply do not exist. Won't exist for the foreseeable future either, barring an even more severe global economic collapse of course.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-14 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    157,000/314,762,562 people in the United States want a secession.

SHIT JUST GOT REAL!
    \b\ has been sort of running a campaign to sign the succession stuff with fake names. I have doubts that a majority of those signatures are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    \b\ has been sort of running a campaign to sign the succession stuff with fake names. I have doubts that a majority of those signatures are legit.
    They were saying in the articles there were a noticeable portion that were from out-of-staters, so I'd believe it.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using protective tariffs just invites retaliatory tariffs and slows down the world economy in general, which isn't good.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It may not justify it but, to a degree, it does excuse it. For "some," not all of course, we are really approaching the point where "scorched earth" tactics become acceptable. Politically and economically at least. What has bothered me the most is that I am beginning to see a similar reaction from liberal elements as well. After Bush v Gore and eight years of Junior, some liberals I know were itching to get back into the driver's seat. The republicans behavior, despite reality slapping them across the face, is genuinely angering some liberals. The classic "conservative rage versus liberal guilt" dynamic is pretty confused right now. With increasing amounts of guilt and rage on both sides.

Its actually been quite fascinating to watch it all play out.
    Let's please not forget what's being watched here. This isn't a just about political ideologies these are people. Men and Women same as the rest of us. We forget that and we are really and truly screwed.

Not to say anyone here has or for that matter hasn't of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Using protective tariffs just invites retaliatory tariffs and slows down the world economy in general, which isn't good.
    Since America is the Largest consumer nation on Earth, who cares if China wants to raise Tariffs on American goods, they don't buy our crap anyway.

See list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nsumer_markets

10+ Year Old Account
    Since America is the Largest consumer nation on Earth, who cares if China wants to raise Tariffs on American goods, they don't buy our crap anyway.

See list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nsumer_markets
    The thing is by doing that you would be hurting your middle/lower class because of raise in prices more than China itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    The thing is by doing that you would be hurting your middle/lower class because of raise in prices more than China itself.
    You mean to say, force low income families to stop thinking Walmart is the answer. I would rather cheap consumer goods to become evenly priced ie American made vs Chinese than to have high rates of unemployment. The right says they want to avoid a welfare state, they say they want the Jobs back. Well here's why the Jobs are gone, you can pay a Chinese person $100 a week to work 80 hours a week in a factory. If the labor costs in China where equal to the labor costs in America than Walmart would be the most expensive store chain in America. (last I checked Walmart has over 90% Chinese made goods). The Answer is not get rid of regulations and tariffs which is what Bush did.

Edit:

P.S. the UK had some of the highest Tariffs in the world, when it was the strongest. Look at your own economic history. America has a Free Trade Agreement with China and Mexico and America lost all of it's jobs to China and Mexico.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-11-14 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Indeed, but we are already hurting the "middle/lower" class. We have been for decades. Would a sharp jolt of short-term pain provide long-term gain for the middle/lower class? Or are we basically trapped in a slow downward spiral of, at best, damage control? Would forcing our nation to be mostly self-sufficient actually solve it? I'm tempted to say yes but it would be a drastic change from what most people have become, economically and politically, resigned too.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-14 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    They may have been called food stamps when obama was elected, not sure when they got the fancy credit card. Obama did however take away the work requirement to receive these benefits. Combine that with high taxes on successful people and im waking up at 6am everyday for what reason?

You dont need your own cell phone to call for a job interview, they are uncapped mins with texting...

He is taking money from people who dont support him to give to people who do, this will keep the democrats in power for a long time.

Cant blame texas for wanting out, they are a success while the democratic area's that got obama elected are bankrupt.
    1)Job requirement for food stamp is still there. Its not gone, i checked.

2)They have text support, but text uses up minute as well. The minute is capped, you have the choice whether to take 300 minutes or so, but no rollover, or 65 minutes with rollover, thus someone can accumulate about 2000 minutes or so, if they are stingy with their minutes.

3)yes, you need cell phones now a days. When employers can not reach you, they offer the job to someone else. Since cell phone is standard, employers assume everyone has them, even though not everyone do.

4)Taxas is not a success. They did use the stimulus money. Like all gov't levels, they too used gimmiks to show balanced budget now.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Can I sign a thing that kicks Texas out?
    Yeah man, let's kick out a big part of the economy. GREAT IDEA TEXAS IS ONLY THE 15TH LARGEST ECONOMY IN THE WORLD.