Deleted
    Relevant to the discussion is that the change doesn't even introduce a new set of gear more powerful than what we currently have access to, but rather introduce a step between Exotic and Legendary, which makes the idea of refunds even more ridiculous.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...hris-Whiteside

Deleted
    amg yay legendary armor

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:44 PM ----------

but that means legendary will be the ultimate end gear. so once you have that you won't have to get better gear anymore, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's completely false.
    Your word, with no actual arguments whatsoever, versus the word of studio design director Chris Whiteside.

Don't even bother asking which is more credible.

they sold the product under false pretences. clearly this move has been in play before release since you cant make up this content simply in a couple of months. i mean, hate me all you want, but i was right. the anet of old, (gw1) old left when the 2 of the 3 founding members left. have to ask yourselves why eh?

anyway, they changed their product by either stealth patching crap in (diminishing returns) or this new move with progression they chewed out other mmos for just so they could bolster their sales.

its sad and funny how gw1 which is still popular continues to chug along because all of its design philosophies still work. no gear treadmill, everyone on equal footing etc.

gw2 is dead, 3 months and they finally prove all along they were con artists. defend it all you want but the outcry on this is so massive its literally gone nuclear. the odd white knight that doesnt want to admit anet betrayed their own manifesto are the ones in the wrong.

refund all you like, i did, and i NEVER get refunds on games.

Welcome back. Negative opinions and posts are fine as long as they're productive. However claiming game death and going on rants doesn't add anything to the conversation. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-11-14 at 04:55 PM.

Nope but if your doing the new PvE mode your going to need better and better infusions. Outside of that PvE mode you just need a base set of armor to complete tasks. Anything higher than that is optional goals that you set for yourself to keep playing the game to make your character look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Relevant to the discussion is that the change doesn't even introduce a new set of gear more powerful than what we currently have access to, but rather introduce a step between Exotic and Legendary, which makes the idea of refunds even more ridiculous.
    I read that. Called it out as bullshit and slight of hand already. Making legendary gear top end gear stat wise is creating an additional gear tier.

Deleted
    but.. they're not giving gw2 a gear treadmill

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    amg yay legendary armor

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:44 PM ----------

but that means legendary will be the ultimate end gear. so once you have that you won't have to get better gear anymore, right?
    The idea - as far as I understand it - is exactly that. Legendaries are hard as nails and grindy to get, Exotics were too easy, the stat jump was felt to be too large. So ascended goes between Legendary and Exotic.

I'm on that fence with toaster, but my tail is most certainly leaning towards the 'oh god just wait to see stuff before pressing all the red panic buttons you plebs' side.

*Edit*
    Ok, why did I login to this again?!
    *Facepaw*

Deleted
    but, so if they had this ascended gear and legedary gear in from launch on, everything would be alright. it's that they add this later-on in the game that is the problem?

Deleted
    but after this is added they won't add any new gear thing anymore if I understand correctly.

I really don't think the word of any developer at Anet is worth respecting honestly.

The inclusion of this design is directly contradictory and hypocritical of what the series was pitched as for years. From first beta of GW1 to GW2 last week.

Really not a studio deserving of much respect at the moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well yeah, that's kinda the point. The entire premise of the system was that there was a hard ceiling. You got there and *stopped*. Adding more stuff later is completely against what they advertised.
    Are you even reading what you're typing?

The ceiling after the new tier of gear will be the exact same as before the new tier of gear. Nothing. Has. Changed.

I think I need to stop signing in here.

Well, the agony mechanic is tied to that specific gear. So it's essentially the same limiter.

All the same, foreign to the series concept up till last week or whatever. As there wasn't really any kind of "you need X to do Y" hard limits before. I suppose level and story steps w/r/t GW1. GW2 mostly level limits.

I don't care about the gear, but this dungeon looks amazing.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...-mist-dungeon/

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    but after this is added they won't add any new gear thing anymore if I understand correctly.
    Not every 3 months... that's all that is actually said in the message.

They still could do it every 6 months, or every year.
    And seeing how they get a small stat increase in this fast, makes me think they will do it again.

The fact that they are doing this after merely 3 months is extremely worrying.
    Surely they can't have reached a point yet where they had to revise their entire game strategy?
    So this sounds more like a plan they had all along, but simply 'forgot' to mention seeing their Manifesto and the pre-launch blogs...
    Last edited by Kimbald; 2012-11-14 at 07:07 PM.

They say some of these fractal dungeons will be part of GW1 lore or events that have happened in tyria. Can someone tell me then /caps what the hell that bigass giant bald stone faced thingumabob-er was?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    Not every 3 months... that's all that is actually said in the message.

They still could do it every 6 months, or every year.
    And seeing how they get a small stat increase in this fast, makes me think they will do it again.

The fact that they are doing this after merely 3 months is extremely worrying.
    Surely they can't have reached a point yet where they had to revise their entire game strategy?
    So this sounds more like a plan they had all along, but simply 'forgot' to mention seeing their Manifesto and the pre-launch blogs...
    I'm pretty sure the 3 months thing was to make it clear they do not want to make some kind of gear treadmill of any kind. after this is added (which is something they ment to add all along) it's done.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the 3 months thing was to make it clear they do not want to make some kind of gear treadmill of any kind. after this is added (which is something they ment to add all along) it's done.
    I read it as that too, if being hopefull
    But in essence there is nothing to suggest what they do or do not intend to do later.
    If anything, they're leaving the door open...

That's why I find it important that it happens so soon: it shows me there was another agenda going from the start.
    So while hoping you're right, I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Lore had some great insights into this gear progression debacle on After Dark last night.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/convince-me/

I personally think it's much ado about nothing. Perhaps if they change it in the future I might get concerned. I don't think it has a terribly large impact on the 95% (thumb suck) of people who are more casual. It will give those players who want a difficult progression a way to do that. I have played 182 hours (just checked) and so far have 3 exotics. It's my own little progression. After that I was going to start focusing on getting a nice set of gear (my exotics are Karma ones so they don't look terribly great, IMHO). I still have to do dungeons but after doing DS 50+ times in WOW I really just seem myself doing the odd run. I like that there is something I can work towards after I have a full really cool exotic set if I chose to go that route in the game. The legendary has always been out of the question for me. I just don't have the time.

I am positive that if I log off for 6 months and sign back in, I will still be able to do every bit of content available, just as i can right now. That makes the the gear pretty meaningless from a stat point of view. Anyone who wants to do the very hard modes will, by virtue of doing the previous difficulty level leading up to that level, automatically have access to the gear "required" to do that level.