Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Ok, here's the deal. I am in the process of building a new computer. This will be the first time I've built one on my own, and am currently acquiring all of the parts. I will be installing a SSD + HDD and running the OS from the SSD. Basically, I am not sold on the new Windows 8. Currently I am running Windows 7, and this I got as an upgrade from XP that I had some student deal from university for special pricing with, and was just a downloaded upgrade, not full version install. Therefore, because of the way the upgrade was, I am not sure I will be able to use it again, i.e. install xp just to upgrade to windows 7 the way the deal worked. Therefore I may just have to buy a full version of the OS no matter what. In any case, is Windows 8 better "under the hood" than Windows 7? Obviously, I can see the differences in the UI and am not impressed with Windows 8 but is it that much better to spend the extra money on buying a full version of Windows 8 vs. Windows 7?

Windows 8 boots incredibly quick without being on an SSD, I can only imagine how fast it would boot on an SSD.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    To prevent confusion over whether you’re playing a card game or returning to town, the Hearthstone will now be called a Homerock.

If you don't like the UI, get start8 or classic shell. Windows 8 is of course faster/lighter/more responsive than it's older brother. If you are getting a new OS it's a no-brainer. Windows 8 is on par with 7 and will only continue to improve upgrade after upgrade and the difference between it and 7 will be like 7 and vista today.

If I was getting a new OS with a new build, I would take the windows 8.....

Deleted
    Well, i love windows 8. I think it's fantastic. Quick, responsive, good looking. Starts in about 5 seconds with a SSD.
    Then again i came from Mac, and not Windows 7. I think the reason a lot of people whine about it is because change bothers people instinctively.

Quote Originally Posted by Teks View Post
    because change bothers people instinctively.
    This part, personally I was under the impression that people thought that their wasn't even a desktop mode or that it was hard to reach (around the time when Microsoft released the previews.

The Metro UI is nothing more then a oversized start menu but the normal W7 desktop UI is still available with a click of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If you don't like the UI, get start8 or classic shell. Windows 8 is of course faster/lighter/more responsive than it's older brother. If you are getting a new OS it's a no-brainer. Windows 8 is on par with 7 and will only continue to improve upgrade after upgrade and the difference between it and 7 will be like 7 and vista today.

I have both at the moment. Win 7 on a brand new pc with i5 3570k and an ssd and then Win 8 on an old e8500 with some WD green. While I personally hate Metro with the passion of a thousand fiery suns I will say that Windows 8 is wicked quick.

Take Lemmiwink's suggestion if you are like me and hate Metro but get Win 8 as it is definitely quicker than win 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    My g19 won't work with it but yes windows 8 on a SSD boots in about 5 seconds. There's no going back after that.
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post

First I would like to thank you for your information on the 3rd party Start menu options , cause I had no clue they existed.

Second, form my brief time playing with 8, there is little reason to pick one either way, unless you have a touch screen that fully supports 8, in which case get 8. But for most people with a standard mouse and keyboard set up just get 7, its not quite as fast but likely cheaper and have few compatibility issues (though there not many that I can think off the top of my head) and has basically the same functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    First I would like to thank you for your information on the 3rd party Start menu options , cause I had no clue they existed.

Second, form my brief time playing with 8, there is little reason to pick one either way, unless you have a touch screen that fully supports 8, in which case get 8. But for most people with a standard mouse and keyboard set up just get 7, its not quite as fast but likely cheaper and have few compatibility issues (though there not many that I can think off the top of my head) and has basically the same functionality.
    Not really.

Windows 7 is:

1. Slower
    2. More expensive
    3. Has near identical compatibility vs W8.

As said earlier, you can easily take 2 minutes to disable Metro completely from starting and bring back the start menu. There's no reason to get 7 anymore.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I would say this; If you have Windows 7 already and you are happy with it, I don't see an immediate need to change to Windows 8. If you are about to purchase a new OS, get the Windows 8.

I am currently running Windows 7 myself but I have already built 2 systems with Windows 8 and installed Classic shell on one of them due to the owners inability to work in the metro UI. I can't not recommend it to people even if there is a lot of haters out there. And I used to hate the metro UI and the fact that there is no way around it without installing 3rd party software. I don't have this opinion anymore though, windows 8 is at least as good as windows 7 and is alot faster on top of that.

There are a few minuses though, one of them being forced to sign in to your live account at start up. Another thing is only being able to clone screen when running multiple monitors. (I haven't figured out yet how to do it "properly" yet, have not used it so much yet though) And a couple of minor issues like a new explorer etc. But that's more because of new interfaces here and there and not "because it's bad".

My tip for any of you would be to buy the "SYSTEM BUILDER" license type for you home-made PC (for Windows 8). - This only in case you don't own a retail Win7 which can be upgraded and reactivated on the new PC.
    Search the internet about the features of this type of license.

Deleted
    Considering the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions - Windows 8 vs Windows 8 PRO , what would you guys choose ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestozaur View Post
    Considering the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions - Windows 8 vs Windows 8 PRO , what would you guys choose ?
    Windows 8 is similar to Home Premium and Windows 8 Pro is similar to Ultimate, roughly speaking.

Are there any driver / compatibility issues with games similar to when Vista was launched for Windows 8? I'm in the same boat and was wondering if I should buy 8 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexam View Post
    Are there any driver / compatibility issues with games similar to when Vista was launched for Windows 8? I'm in the same boat and was wondering if I should buy 8 or 7.
    Don't think so since

Vista was a exception because Microsoft became stricter with how software worked compared to XP.