Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.
    Most races that use technology also use guns heavily. The only races that don't make heavy use of them are the more primitive races or races who have little interest in technology. The reason those races that do make heavy use of them don't use nothing but them could be for any number of reasons.

Swords and spears are easier to mass produce, they don't run out of ammo and don't require troops to to carry around ammo wherever they go.

That person may prefer melee to a gun.

No nation has anything like a factory or assembly line to make guns so issuing one to every single soldier in a world of constant war is unreasonable. Weapons in wow are made by specialized craftsmen not a factory churning out several hundred guns a day.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    I'm in a similar boat as tommo - I think the tech has it's place, Goblin and Gnome themed areas especially - but I think it's became far too intrusive in recent expansions.

It's ALWAYS been there, but it's never been so widespread.

I don't know guys, all this Technology seems to be a giant flaw on Blizzards part when they were making this game. The game developers were smart enough to notice that you can't have Pandaren be a druid because it wouldn't make sense for a bear to turn into a bear. However they were not smart enough to notice that gun wielders vs sword wielders would simply not be a fair fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, doesn't bother me and I am typically a stickler for things that are inaccurate so to speak. The tech that is present is kinda dodgy The engineer mounts all look like they have been pieced together with whatever was lying around. I don't see these things as technological advancements that are out of place. I relate it more to our industrial revolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guns?! BAH! Who needs guns!

I have a cannon, I load up a dwarven shaman or gnome caster and launch them towards a crowd, while they fly they can cast their spells all the want till they go splat and then we load up the next.

But yeah, much of this discussion can be added the words or phrases, "Magic", "You don't want to die on spawn in PvP (Headshots)".

Wouldn't mind more steampunk added in, but not the brutal kind like rigs and such, but the more "art" kind. Like as said, the train in Ulduar. Or hack, the bridge in SSC before the lady (was awesome too).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but there are also giant ogres and such hitting us with huge spiky axes that in reality would smash us to smithereens, and wild beasts with huge claws that would certainly rip one's face clear off. What about casters against swords? If you nit pick too much you will ruin everything! lol

Are we going to be seeing Garrosh log into his facebook on his ipad while he's bored in Org? Will we see Thrall calling up Aggra on his new Samsung Galaxy S to check in on her?
    This made me lol.

But yeah, I think some of the things they have added over the past few expansions is a bit ridiculous. The gnomish and goblin tech from Vanilla WoW was fitting and didn't seem to break any of the immersion of being in a fantasy-based world.

But when I am alt-tabbed and hear a motorcycle idling in the background of the game... that's a definite "wtf?" moment for me.

Deleted
    i thought this was about wow having too much addons >.<

my bro always says whats the point of playing a game with so much texts floating around(names, dmg,quest, recount, omen, dmb.etcetc) so i thought something similar was here,

Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Because warriors with swords can kill hunters with guns.
    See: V for Vendetta.

Creedy: "You've got nothing. Nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy karate gimmicks. We have guns."

V: "No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'll no longer be standing, because if I am you'll all be dead before you've reloaded."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know guys, all this Technology seems to be a giant flaw on Blizzards part when they were making this game. The game developers were smart enough to notice that you can't have Pandaren be a druid because it wouldn't make sense for a bear to turn into a bear. However they were not smart enough to notice that gun wielders vs sword wielders would simply not be a fair fight.
    But if this were to be added to be fair, then you would just have the gun uses moan on the fact that they would be missing more. If this were to be more fair and the gun were to be the winner, then Blizzard would have to demand more hit and maybe a adrenalin buff/debuff affecting your hit according to situation and you should aim yourself - and reload time would also be needed to be added, as well as bringing ammunition back into the game (though I already miss that). For now Blizzard aims for you and you have a set amount of hit you need.

And adding another phrase to this, it's a complete different realm/world. Many things can affect it. Maybe the quality or bullets and arrows fell when we didn't have to buy them but they are suddenly there (which mean, you must be the one whom made them).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    apparently you're not getting the whole "magic can out do the guns" angle. non-imaginable mind does not imagine.
    Unless it's a magic gun firing blessed projectiles and shouldered by a 7.5' tall purple woman who was until recently an immortal.

There is no angle, the imagination is boundless here.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Yeah but there are also giant ogres and such hitting us with huge spiky axes that in reality would smash us to smithereens, and wild beasts with huge claws that would certainly rip one's face clear off. What about casters against swords? If you nit pick too much you will ruin everything! lol
    You have to imagine when you have a debuff bleeding for 2% of your max health a tick, it's a nasty wound. You also have to imagine that while your recuperate is ticking, it's your sheer willpower patching that wound back up

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Unless it's a magic gun firing blessed projectiles and shouldered by a 7.5' tall purple woman who was until recently an immortal.

There is no angle, the imagination is boundless here.
    Unless my magic sword is more powerful than your magic gun, and my magic gear is powerful enough to take a shot from your magic gun.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Realism doesn't belong in a FANTASY game. This game was never made to be realistic. If you want realistic then you are in the wrong genre of games.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my, everyone in this thread basis a world that's full of magic etc on Earth's physics. You only assume a gun is more powerful than a sword because of "Earth Physics". It's quite possible that the metals used in WoW make for superior armour compared to bullets. It's quite possible that the orc's thick skin etc is almost impenetrable by bullets etc.

At the end of the day though, the best way for Blizzard to describe something is either "magic" or "it's a game" since even people with no imagination can accept that. If only they had as much ease explaining that to the die hard lore fanatics that can't seem to understand "it's a video game and it was done that way for balance" (ie, tauren paladins, undead holy priests, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    Unless my magic sword is more powerful than your magic gun, and my magic gear is powerful enough to take a shot from your magic gun.
    Which is already addressed. If my magic gun is a level 60 weapon and your armour is level 90, my effectiveness against you is diminished greatly.

I agree the magic has a lot to do with it, but when you have guns why use swords? that's what I'm asking.
    Some heroes are just way more deadly with swords/melee than magic. Not exactly WoW but witness the awesomeness here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivsjh...eature=related

Why use blades when you have machine guns? Because you are faster using blades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real world logic and video games, especially fantasy/sci-fi video games do not mix.

Blizzard has always put fun and gameplay ahead of lore and logic. There are guns, magic, and swords all in Warcraft because it gives the player more variety and fun that way. Limiting that just for the sake of realism was not something they wanted to do. There are plenty of other more realistic games out there, Warcraft has always had a pretty big dose of the absurd and silly mixed into it.

Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun.
    Almost? Don't think I've seen a single gun in WoW pump out roughly 800 rounds/minute. Obviously I'm not including special shots but even including them I'm not so sure you could get that many off due to the GCD being 1-1.5 seconds.

That said a large portion of the Technology in game is magic based. In order for most of them to function there has to be some level of magic infused into them.