Thread: Leveling 85-90

Leveling 85-90

Is there a spec that stands out as better for leveling or would it more just come down to personal preference?

Is there any must use glyphs for leveling?

Are there any rare pets that I could tame while leveling that I should look out for?

Any other tips or advice you can give would be great too.

Play survival, use glyph of misdirection, macro misdirection into everything. I don't think there are mandatory glyphs other than that, you could use Disengage glyph to fly further and increase movability. Just pull a lot of shit and aoe it down, Thrill of the Hunt is a good talent if you do this. If you plan on pulling crazy amounts of mobs you should probably get binding shot, if they are melee you can also chain root them with Ice Trap and Snake Trap. A Murder of Crows sucks for levelling because it's up for 30 seconds, I'd use Lynx Rush or maybe Blink Strike if you use it to kite mobs with.

Haven't got more ideas right now

Levelling 85-90 as BM was fun for me. I mainly used a Spirit Beast due to its heal, but in Valley of the Four Winds a Water Strider is nearly mandatory due to its water walking ability, as else you'll have to swim a lot.

I agree Glyph of Disengage is great for soloing. However, Blink Strike followed by a Kill Command is a better opener, your pet blinks to the target and gains quite a lot of aggro within 2 seconds, also dealing a lot of damage. On 90, I sometimes get an unlootable 85-86 mob by this as my pet kills it before I even shoot.

I had no problems dealing with packs using simple Multi-Shot. Mobs at 85-90 are pretty easy and don't hit hard. Curiously, one of the hardest parts was the very first quest in Jade Forest, where you storm an Alliance-held stronghold (I assume its Alliance counterpart is similar). Mobs go in packs and keep respawning fast, died a few times there, something I didn't see happening often afterwards :P

Get Exhilaration. It's pretty much a life saver. Especially since its cooldown can be reset with Readiness.

Solo killing rare elites was not easy, but doable. Did a couple Kun-Lai rares at 87-88, and Sele'na at 86. Just pop all cooldowns, keep pet holding aggro and heal him well. Pets are not affected by AoE that one-shots players.

Oh, and if you're an engineer, don't waste Spirits and trillium on Long-Range Trillium Sniper. And if you're not, don't buy it. I made this mistake, only to realize same dps crossbow is a guaranteed reward for your first Arena of Annihilation scenario run. It misses a yellow gem socket, but that alone is not worth paying 10k or wasting valuable resources.
    Last edited by Rasula Elfbiter; 2012-11-15 at 10:25 AM.

Got my realm first as Survival, just use the MD glyph and macro it into multishot and aoe everything, Marked for Death and Mending are also good for leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasula Elfbiter View Post
    Levelling 85-90 as BM was fun for me. I mainly used a Spirit Beast due to its heal, but in Valley of the Four Winds a Water Strider is nearly mandatory due to its water walking ability, as else you'll have to swim a lot.

I agree Glyph of Disengage is great for soloing. However, Blink Strike followed by a Kill Command is a better opener, your pet blinks to the target and gains quite a lot of aggro within 2 seconds, also dealing a lot of damage. On 90, I sometimes get an unlootable 85-86 mob by this as my pet kills it before I even shoot.

I had no problems dealing with packs using simple Multi-Shot. Mobs at 85-90 are pretty easy and don't hit hard. Curiously, one of the hardest parts was the very first quest in Jade Forest, where you storm an Alliance-held stronghold (I assume its Alliance counterpart is similar). Mobs go in packs and keep respawning fast, died a few times there, something I didn't see happening often afterwards :P

Get Exhilaration. It's pretty much a life saver. Especially since its cooldown can be reset with Readiness.

Solo killing rare elites was not easy, but doable. Did a couple Kun-Lai rares at 87-88, and Sele'na at 86. Just pop all cooldowns, keep pet holding aggro and heal him well. Pets are not affected by AoE that one-shots players.

Oh, and if you're an engineer, don't waste Spirits and trillium on Long-Range Trillium Sniper. And if you're not, don't buy it. I made this mistake, only to realize same dps crossbow is a guaranteed reward for your first Arena of Annihilation scenario run. It misses a yellow gem socket, but that alone is not worth paying 10k or wasting valuable resources.
    1. You have no need to speak of aggro, Growl auto taunts mobs to itself and you have Misdirection with the glyph(no CD) against AoE packs
    2. BM is slower for leveling because SV can AoE pull at a much better efficiency than BM
    3. Exhiliration sucks, you shouldn't even be close to dying while leveling, if you are, you are playing wrong. Spirit Bond is the best for leveling by far, passive self heal is the best.
    4. Killing Rares was so easy as SV even, I was laughing because against most rares, Spirit Bond heal was enough to keep my pet up.

OT: Survival is the fastest with AoEs: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hl>|qosoas for spec and Go go.

1. You have no need to speak of aggro, Growl auto taunts mobs to itself and you have Misdirection with the glyph(no CD) against AoE packs
    2. BM is slower for leveling because SV can AoE pull at a much better efficiency than BM
    3. Exhiliration sucks, you shouldn't even be close to dying while leveling, if you are, you are playing wrong. Spirit Bond is the best for leveling by far, passive self heal is the best.
    4. Killing Rares was so easy as SV even, I was laughing because against most rares, Spirit Bond heal was enough to keep my pet up.
    True to all that. I'm just sharing my own experience, and since the topic starter did not specify that he wants fastest levelling ahead of everything else, I suppose what I wrote may come in handy as well. Personally I prefer BM to Survival for levelling and generic solo play, with Exotic pets having some neat abilities, and general game style being more relaxed, as the pet does more work for you.

Besides, from what I read at guides, the difference between BM and Surv efficiency is marginal and in the end is more a matter of personal preference.

And I'd argue about Exhilaration being a waste. Definitely, common mobs can hardly kill you unless you screw it up, but it's very handy for killing elites and rares who deal too much damage. It works like old Lick Your Wounds AND a health potion. Which is, to me, a bit better than a constant heal that reduces downtime, but doesn't win fights or save you from a sudden death/screw-up. But then again, it's more situational. so your point is totally viable.

I agree Glyph of Disengage
    I meant Glyph of Misdirection. My bad.

Oh, and to the topic starter. I think this guide is what you need: (there was a link here, but it seems I need to get more posts to be able to post urls. just google for wow hunters hall hunter-tips-for-the-first-week-in-mists-of-pandaria )
    Last edited by Rasula Elfbiter; 2012-11-15 at 12:52 PM.