Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yes you will. I recently leveled an alt by doing ONLY quests (no xp boosts, no PvP, no flashpoints) and by the time I hit 50 I only had a couple of Corellia quests left in my guest log.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you didn't do nashadaa 2, hoth 2, alderaan 2, voss 2, balmoraa/taris 2?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you didn't do nashadaa 2, hoth 2, alderaan 2, voss 2, balmoraa/taris 2?
    Actually I did almost all of the bonus series, it was mostly heroic quests which I didn't do but I don't think even those are going to make that big of a difference with the reduced xp gain of f2p. Some say it's 50% less xp, no way heroic quests will account to that difference. You either have to deal with a lot of mob grinding or level very slowly by doing the limited amount of fp's and PvP in addition to questing. But slow leveling propably won't be an issue to many f2p players, they aren't likely in a hurry to max level since in max level their gaming experience becomes even more limited.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-11-15 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Actually I did almost all of the bonus series, it was mostly heroic quests which I didn't do but I don't think even those are going to make that big of a difference with the reduced xp gain of f2p. Some say it's 50% less xp, no way heroic quests will account to that difference. You either have to deal with a lot of mob grinding or level very slowly by doing the limited amount of fp's and PvP in addition to questing. But slow leveling propably won't be an issue to many f2p players, they aren't likely in a hurry to max level since in max level their gaming experience becomes even more limited.
    That's strange because I can usually skip all the bonus series and quesh and still have left over quests without instancing and very little pvping.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's strange because I can usually skip all the bonus series and quesh and still have left over quests without instancing and very little pvping.
    I don't remember that to be the case at all. If I was straight questing I had to do anything and everything around, including soloing some heroic quests to get by. You have to think that if XP is reduced, it means killing mobs will be reduced. So not only will the quests reward half, but you get double taxed from the amount of mobs you kill rewarding less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I don't remember that to be the case at all. If I was straight questing I had to do anything and everything around, including soloing some heroic quests to get by.
    Yeah, I've found this to be the case on several characters so I don't buy all these stories going around about people getting to max level by doing barely anything.

Deleted
    I would say yes. You could get a massive amount of gametime with F2P before it got boring. The story really is excellent.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth I enjoyed SWTOR more than any other MMO I've ever played up until end game. Then it became a question of what I was going to spend money on. In the End I picked WoW because of all of the tools and years of polish.
    So yeah, playing SWTOR solely for the story on free mode is totally worth it IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read the details on this and done pretty much everything but actually DL and play again which wont be possible until this weekend.

Basically I guess my question to you guys: I know the story's good. I've been looking forward to F2P for a while now.. however after recently hearing about the increased XP per level on F2P accounts, in your honest (and hopefully unbiased) opinions, do you actually think the cutscenes are going to hold your average casual players attention enough to get through the grueling (and now even slower) questing areas to get to level cap to see all of it?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Well, I only had a few characters to 50 (and several to 35-40), but I always had more than enough quests. On two occasions me and a friend duoing even had to skip a whole planet because we had outleveled it. After the first duo we even left out most bonus series, because we simply didn't need it and still had content to spare in the end. Between the occasional flashpoint, some space missions and the regular planet quests so much exp accrued that we simply leveled faster than planned.

Yes...I completely believe that F2P option will be worth while for people who want to play a level 1-50 game. The only place that F2P is really going to affect playability is at level 50 end - game.

As one poster put it before, F2P people aren't really going to be worried about slower leveling, because they are not playing the game to get to end-game content. They are playing the game to experience the 1-50 leveling and story experience. Therefore it being slower for them actually keeps them involved longer (and thus a larger chance of them getting hooked on something and deciding to subscribe).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    in your honest (and hopefully unbiased) opinions, do you actually think the cutscenes are going to hold your average casual players attention enough to get through the grueling (and now even slower) questing areas to get to level cap to see all of it?
    When you actually have to work for something, the cut scenes feel that much more rewarding. Especially on your first play through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I think you must have quoted the completely wrong block of text, because what you are calling complete rubbish is all true. Please see the quote from Schubert regarding decreasing the rate at which F2P will earn XP.

If you are going to continue to harass me on these forums, please at least pay attention to what you are doing.[COLOR="red"]
    Chill out mate. I quoted you because you said that you might actually run out of quests which I said was complete rubbish as you skip heaps of quests while levelling normally. You are always ahead of the planet you are on currently, with reduced XP it will probably work out that you level appropriately with the planets, or might have to do a few bonus series.

I'm not harrassing you, I just disagree with a lot of your opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you actually have to work for something, the cut scenes feel that much more rewarding. Especially on your first play through.
    I've played a few characters to the 40ish range when it first launched. What I was basically asking was if the XP gain is THAT much worse. The questing experience in my opinion was already pretty drawn out, but breaks for PVP and flashpoints made it a little more bearable. This time around (if I've read correctly) that wont always be an option.

Also, I'm a total supporter for working for your gain, but making questing take twice as long and potentially running out of quests in a particular area isn't exactly what I call working. That's more like spreading decent tasting butter way too thin over stale bread.

I'm not being pecimistic here. Obviously I played and enjoyed the game enough to come back and mess around with it, I'm just trying to get a realistic point of view here. Every topic I've gone into has been one of two polar opposites: "This game is still ass I'm not paying for it" or "I'm a story lover so ofcourse i love the story its everything to me and I dont mind being bored out of my cranium for 5 hour chunks between 90 second cutscenes!!1!"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've read the details on this and done pretty much everything but actually DL and play again which wont be possible until this weekend.

Basically I guess my question to you guys: I know the story's good. I've been looking forward to F2P for a while now.. however after recently hearing about the increased XP per level on F2P accounts, in your honest (and hopefully unbiased) opinions, do you actually think the cutscenes are going to hold your average casual players attention enough to get through the grueling (and now even slower) questing areas to get to level cap to see all of it?

i could be wrong bu i haven't heard about increase XP cap per level for F2P player, do you have a source.
    My understanding was that you have the exact same XP cap level per level as subs player, the only feature you don't have is that you don't earn rest XP

was i wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i could be wrong bu i haven't heard about increase XP cap per level for F2P player, do you have a source.
    My understanding was that you have the exact same XP cap level per level as subs player, the only feature you don't have is that you don't earn rest XP

was i wrong?
    If that's the case, you wouldn't hear me complain. Also, no I don't have some secret source. Hopefully I'm getting my info at the same place everyone else is, it's fully possible I've simply misunderstood.

Other than some people to played the PTS, nobody is going to be able to answer your question of exactly how much more drawn out the questing becomes due to lower exp gains and/or if that means that you are going to have to group for heroics just to be able to move onto the next planet, until after the F2P game actually launches.

I would doubt that you are going to find anyone on the forums that played the PTS THAT seriously to tell you assuredly how that will look past the first 20 or so levels. The only advice that we can really give you is, try it out. Its not going to cost you anything. If you find the grind to be too much and that you can't enjoy the storyline and leveling process unless you subscribe, it didn't cost anything except for a little time. And if you are considering playing an online game to begin with, the obviously you have some time to spare.

My personal opinion is that there will be enough quest content to allow anyone go grind to 50 without having to grind excessively or wait till the following week to do 5 more flashpoints to get the next level before they can move on. You may not be able to skip 25% of the questlines like subscribers can, but you shouldn't be stuck either.

Also, I am not sure if the xp reduction applies to preferred accounts or not. If it doesn't all you have to do is spend $5 in the cartel market and the xp reduction goes away. You also get 4 action bars and an 80 slot cargo hold, plus whatever you spend your 450 cartel coins on (My recommendation would be another Crewskill to give you a total of 3 since preferreds get 2 Crewskills instead of 1 like F2P). Then the game from 1-50 is VERY close to the same as if you subscribed.
    Last edited by Gunndykol; 2012-11-15 at 09:07 PM.

If that's the case, you wouldn't hear me complain. Also, no I don't have some secret source. Hopefully I'm getting my info at the same place everyone else is, it's fully possible I've simply misunderstood.
    Yea the amount needed for each level is supposed to be the same, you just earn half the xp for doing things that you otherwise would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yea the amount needed for each level is supposed to be the same, you just earn half the xp for doing things that you otherwise would.
    All right then, that answers everything.

Thanks to Arlee and Vank.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I'm not even sure if half as much exp earned as a subscriber.

I keep reading 25%. That being based on if you use the EXP bonus CC purchase you get a 25% bonus to exp for its duration and that puts you on par with a subscriber but still not get rested exp.

I'll try to find something more concrete.

The only confirmed information is that F2P/Preferred players don't get rested XP. Any speculation about reduced XP gain is just that, speculation. It does sound from some of the interviews like their could be actual reduced XP gain, but the SWTOR devs are notoriously terrible about saying what they mean in an unambiguous way. Reading details into what they say is a fools game. If there does end up being XP reduction of some kind, it's certainly not going to be something big like 25-50%. If you do anything in addition to questing (Heroics, FP, Space, PvP) you will easily be able to skip most of the bonus series. Every character I have leveled has left a ton of XP on the table by the time they hit 50.

Also, the limited revive-in-place count is irrelevant in a group. Being revived by a party member doesn't count as using a med-probe. A med-probe is only necessary when soloing or when the whole group wipes and nobody wants to run back.