Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Or you could just have those dogs spayed/neutered in the first place.
    Costly procedure, and such costs are not always welcome in the unpredictable, difficult and easily unprofitable business of farming where ends are often hard to meet.

Just wait for someone elses cat to die then give it to them as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    My grandfather killed Nazis. See, no logic here either.

Anyways, if you ever do something like what you've mentioned, just let us know.
    Just for the predictable torrent of rage alone on a site such as our MMO-Champion, i'll be more than happy to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Just for the predictable torrent of rage alone on a site such as our MMO-Champion, i'll be more than happy to.
    That would be the best decision in your life, I promise.

That would be the best decision in your life, I promise.
    The Internet Police are a fearsome branch!

Deleted
    Hm... I got 7 cats, and I know more 5 cats, all since they were young, and not even on of them ever did that...

At a young age, they are very tricky and playful, but, apparently, yours is quite the devilish cat!

I don't know, I think only time will make her go calm. One of my cats used to be a bit like yours but not that much, after 2 years or so she stopped completly of being stupid though, only time will tell.

Also, if she goes out to screw with your neighbors, don't let her out of the house and make her stay in a room only, with food, litter, etc, etc, and let only her out when you can supervise her.

Deleted
    There could be many things, and it would be hard to find out and make much better in a week, but I would say that if the cat is otherwise sound and healthy (no illness or infection/disease/injury annoying it) then it would probably be somewhat a behavioral issue. Other than cats are pretty clawy and scratchy to begin with and use their claws to hang on to things, then some things may help if it does too much of stuff it's not allowed to do or bites.

1. Stable, healthy environment. Don't kick the cat, don't hit the cat, dont change the rules from one day to the other and back again the next, I would probably also in most cases if there are other options available refrain from spraying it with water since it will just create fear and not understanding (and perhaps make a more angsty cat and cats are quick to claw and bite if they are afraid and can't run).

2. If it does something that is not allowed such as claw furniture, bite wires, bite plants, run on table, eat human food (or dog food), then remove it from the situation and say No or something once with a stern tone while looking at it. This could become the "bad" or "wrong" voice which tells it that this behavior is not allowed. Then do a punishment if necessary. This punishment must not be pain or injury. It must be the absence of something, for example, the absence of being in the room it was in. Simply throw it out of the room and close the door for some time. If it claws you and you say no, then don't play with it there. Remove the fun so it won't claw.

3. Play with it and VERY IMPORTANTLY do not play with it with your bare hands. The cat doesn't know that its claws and bites hurts you as much as they do. Never put your hands in its mouth as a normal play thing because it will associate your hands with play. Let it play with something else, like a wrap of paper you throw on the ground or some toy that makes a sound and rolls or something. If they have seen mice, then they for some reason like to have mouse toys. Also, if it won't go out, which is normal in the wintery time, it can easily get understimulated and start doing something, such as biting feet or doing something it shouldn't because it has an excess of energy and just needs to do something. Play with it more in the winter time or cuddle with it more. A cat loves being outdoor in the spring/summer/fall and can enjoy itself greatly just by wandering around and doing what a cat does.

4. When and if it claws you or bites you (which a cat will usually do once in a while, they are very clawy animals, quite different from a dog in that department), then stop. Don't do anything with what the cat has clawed you on or bitten you in. Stop movement. Cats love movement. Your goal is to make no incentive for the cat to bite you or claw you and remove the body part of yours that is being attacked or played with. If it is biting or scratching your feet then draw your feet back to you (and perhaps say No or ouch or something that it recognizes as pain from you). Remove your hand if you are playing. Remove your arm if it is attacking you. Remove your body if it is crawling up on you. If you are playing and it scratches or bites you, remove the body part and stop playing. Bite or scratch = no play. If you are cuddling and it for whatever reason bites you, then say No or ouch and stop the hand it is probably biting and when it stops applying force then take your hand out of its mouth. Stop the movement and draw your body part away. It doesn't act properly = you don't play or cuddle. Be gentle though. Cats love fun. Also, when cats purr, their claws go in and out and they don't even realize it is hurting you so again, cats are very clawy animals in pain and pleasure.

5. Use your own reasoning, imagination, understanding, person and common sense when it comes to an issue. Trust your intuition and instinct. Regard everything I've written here as possibly true and not true.

6. It could quite well take longer to train the cat in a more desirable fashion than what it has experienced or what it does now, so there probably won't be much difference in a week, but this is how I would try to train a cat if I had one over longer time and it did not have issues caused by health.

7. If it is some old guys living there and they are already getting annoyed by the cat then try to give them some simple tips from this if it works, 1. dont hit the cat (avoid spraying it water I would say too in most cases), 2. Set rules, enforce rules and tell it when it has done wrong and punish it sometimes by the absence of something (no more play, no more cuddle, no more being in the fun room for some time. Be simple and use common sense). 3. When it bites and claws, remove the hand/arm/foot from the cat and stop movement of it if necessary until it has released its bite some.

8. Good luck lol.

9. Also, yes kittens might be more clawy than adult cats because adult cats can't be arsed lol.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2012-11-15 at 10:24 PM.

The Internet Police are a fearsome branch!
    God forbid! Oops, sorry. Hopefully I didn't hurt your feelings by saying that.

God forbid! Oops, sorry. Hopefully I didn't hurt your feelings by saying that.
    Self-overestimation is a very unbecoming trait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I'm completely serious.
    I've heard the high from Nutmeg isn't particularly enjoyable, and it's much easier to OD on than a lot of the more well known drugs.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I've heard the high from Nutmeg isn't particularly enjoyable, and it's much easier to OD on than a lot of the more well known drugs.
    I'm sure it is. But it's legal ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Costly procedure, and such costs are not always welcome in the unpredictable, difficult and easily unprofitable business of farming where ends are often hard to meet.
    Obviously it's a different sort of farming situation than we have here in the US.

But yeah, drowning a cat because you can't be arsed to spay or neuter it is crappy as hell, especially since you can often get it done for free by humane society type groups. If you're gonna kill it, at least do it quickly. Drowning it isn't cool.

Obviously it's a different sort of farming situation than we have here in the US.
    Here in the UK it's particularly hard for dairy farmers with the bigger supermarkets that seem to be taking over giving farmers bum deals for their milk whilst selling it for evermore profitable prices. Not much easier for sheep farmers and the others either.

I've had cats all my life. heres some suggestions.

Why has noone suggested a Spray bottle of water yet? carry it around with you. she starts clawing your legs or the furnature, Spray her. Also if you can get a can of Compressed air (not that computer duster stuff. thats not air. a small bottle of compressed CO2 or air.) and spray it near them (not on them. near them.) they hate the sound. it sounds to them like a HUGE cat hissing.

For the most part it sounds like the cat is bored. try playing with her more with a lazer pointer or something she likes. provide her with more positive stimulation. catnip might help too.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Self-overestimation is a very unbecoming trait.
    That's what I'm saying! You'll get there.

Seriously though, let us know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in the UK it's particularly hard for dairy farmers with the bigger supermarkets that seem to be taking over giving farmers bum deals for their milk whilst selling it for evermore profitable prices. Not much easier for sheep farmers and the others either.
    Over here, we have subsidies as well as crop insurance, so the risk in farming is far less than it otherwise would be. Farmers are generally pretty well off, even if a lot of their wealth is tied up in their land and assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    No. Catpnip is perfectly fine for cats. It is not addictive, it is just extremely attractive to them. There is no catnip withdrawal or anything. The reason you see cats go crazy for it and they find it if it's in a room is because it smells very strong and very attractive to them. One thing to note is that a lot of cats don't actually react to catnip. Also, if you're worrying about being able to afford it, buy a plant and grow it yourself. Just make sure to keep it in a place they can't get to. The top of the refrigerator is not one of those places, by the way.
    my mom grows mint around her house. it makes a great ground cover, you can make a killer mint tea from it, and it looks and smells good. cats seem to like mint. there is even a type called cat mint which they really like (it's not catnip, despite a similar sounding name).

Quote Originally Posted by Tenver View Post
    There could be many things, and it would be hard to find out and make much better in a week, but I would say that if the cat is otherwise sound and healthy (no illness or infection/disease/injury annoying it) then it would probably be somewhat a behavioral issue. Other than cats are pretty clawy and scratchy to begin with and use their claws to hang on to things, then some things may help if it does too much of stuff it's not allowed to do or bites.
    Very informative post, thank you. I tried to punish her with absence of things, but that doesnt really seem to bother her at all. I throw her out of the kitchen if she misbehaves while we eat, only for her to repeat it again the next day. She doesn't learn that jumping people while they eat is a bad thing.

I think it should be worth noting that I've just spend 20 minutes cuddling with her. She was like an angel. But god forbid I go and get myself something to drink, there she is clawing into my leg trying to climb me. I just got another scratch mark.

Was she trying to tell me "wtf don't stop cuddling with me", or what?

Btw, I have to sleep now. I'm tired. Please keep posting, I'll read everything tomorrow.

Deleted
    I think your cat wants more attention then you give it. That's with the scratching and chasing and scratching furniture. She does that because she knows you'll chase her or someone will and then she can play.

Also, it's ok to let her eat a bit.

People say you can't teach a cat, but you can. When she claws you, first say "augh" loud. After, whenever she does something wrong, life her by her neck (like a mother cat does with her kittens) and yell at her. After a few such experiences she learns. Yes, it's a bit brutal, but it doesn't hurt the cat as long as you hold her for a little time only and don't agitate her in the air. So, you lift her, yell at her, put her down. She won't learn first time though.
    However, if you don't play a bit, she won't understand much. Ger her a playmate, another cat of similar age. They'll have lots of fun ruining your house! Nah, I'm joking, after they learn to get along they'll have fun playing. I say after since at start one or both might be kind of agressive to one another, but they'll get used to eachother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Isnt catnip the equivalent of LSD? I don't want to make the cat addicted to something that the people here cannot afford to buy anymore once I move out. Which is going to be next week. lol
    Cat on Catnip
    Cat on LSD **** Warning this is disturbing video hence the link and not embedded *****

To me it just sounds like the cat has way too much energy. Try letting it go out of the house.
    as for the people whos cat it is. if they put a higher value on their furnature than that of the animal there is only two choices.

1 - you take it with you.
    2 - give it to the animal shelter.