Thread: Processor help?

Processor help?

This is my first time building a computer from scratch on my own, being as the processor is the first thing to start with, I'm not sure which way to go. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative, but on the same token, I want this computer to last me at least a couple years. Now the age old question, Intel VS AMD, are Intels actually worth the price they charge?

Looking at this processor as a starting point for my PC build.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3 < on tiger direct wont let me link it lol
    90 bucks for a quad core, pretty hard to compete with that price wise on the intel

I'm just looking for suggestions I'm not looking to spend more than maybe 350-400 on the build, I don't need a video card, monitor, mouse, keyboard, operating system, etc. I'd like to at least get 8 gig of ram at least, and a 700w power supply at least. As for performance? I just want to run wow at a high level again, getting high FPS on medium settings in 25 man raid environment.

Basically I just need a computer minus the video card,

Thanks for any responses and thanks for reading.

*my 2 gig comp just isnt cutting the cheese, although my 2gb video card will hold stellar in any new box i get*
    Last edited by Penlog1; 2012-11-16 at 09:53 AM. Reason: updating why my comp was lagging

If MMORPGs are a priority, especially 25man raids in WoW, Intel processors will give you really big advantage.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If MMORPGs are a priority, especially 25man raids in WoW, Intel processors will give you really big advantage.
    Yeah, that and a SSD to cut down on loading time.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

What's your GPU? This is what I came up with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $590.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-16 05:25 EST-0500)
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-11-16 at 10:25 AM.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    What's your GPU? This is what I came up with.
    @ Nab - You went over the budget.

@ OP - Which graphics card do you have? Referring to your graphics card as '2GB' leads me to believe that you don't know if your graphics card is truly good or not. While most modern graphics cards are 2GB+, there are 'trap' graphics cards like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187190 that are terrible, yet boast 2GB memory.

With $400 total for everything excluding graphics card, monitor, peripherals and OS, here's the best you can get.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $406.93
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-16 06:05 EST-0500)

The 965BE has slightly better 4 thread performance than the 3220, but the 3220 has significantly better single threaded performance. Single threaded performance is what determines performance in games. 2 strong cores will win over 4 mediocre cores for gaming.

Unless you're planning on CF or SLI, you don't need a 700W PSU especially since upgrading to 700W will consume an additional 5-10% of your budget.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-16 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    Yeah, that and a SSD to cut down on loading time.
    As a proud SSD owner your statement to the quote makes no sense. As nice as an SSD is your still limited by the speed of 24 other people, i.e even if your in 10 minutes b4 everyone your still not playing the game, its like awesome sitting @ a waiting on other players screen in blops2.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 01:31 PM ----------

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $489.42
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-16 08:31 EST-0500)

This will infact outperform your expectations assuming your gpu is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    This will infact outperform your expectations assuming your gpu is decent.
    With $5 difference in mobo+cpu vs what Yurano linked above you picking AMD instead of Intel is dumb move when 25man raid dps is a priority unless the OP is willing to overclock the shit out of that AMD processor (and include third party CPU heatsink on the price). It needs to be overclocked to pretty much max you can get with air cooler to beat i3 in WoW.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    With $5 difference in mobo+cpu vs what Yurano linked above you picking AMD instead of Intel is dumb move when 25man raid dps is a priority unless the OP is willing to overclock the shit out of that AMD processor (and include third party CPU heatsink on the price). It needs to be overclocked to pretty much max you can get with air cooler to beat i3 in WoW.
    It won't even need a little overclock to decimate the i3, the 4300 and i3 are fairly equal in terms of performance except 1 can be overclocked 1 cannot, leaving the i3 in the dust, and again this is just a mock up for the moment who's to say the OP wouldnt buy a cooler in like a month and get much better performance, 3.8Ghz is the stock frequency @ 4.0 its = to the i3 in every regard, throw it to 4.5-5.0 it would likely begin to get into i5 territory.

naw my video card is passable at best, its garbage tbh, but the plan was just to use my Radeon 6600, until i save enough for a better more respectable card. The idea being upgrade the computer, and then once thats done, save for a nice video card. I really appreciate all the responses thus far they have been great and are helping me a great deal in swaying the way I build this new computer.