Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I find your post utterly fascinating, Sojou.

This isn't the thread to go into it but goodness there is a lot there to talk about.
    I'd love to have the discussion - I feel so let down by GW2 that I just want to vent. I tried on the official forums but someone deleted the thread because it turned into a "SO QUIT!" type of response. People just can't tolerate criticism anymore so gamers are forced to either love something or pieces to leave forever.
    Last edited by Sojou; 2012-11-15 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the shiny graphics and DEs etc wore off fairly quick. In the end I forced my character to max level, just because I wanted to finish what I started. First week I loved the game, then it quickly got boring and very repetitive.

I tired to lvl another character, but it was far too boring.

I was looking forward to WvWvW but it was one huge disappointment.

I also like the trinity system. Different moods make me want to tank, dps or heal.

To end it on a positive note, dodge is cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    To end it on a positive note, dodge is cool.
    This is really the only thing i really agree on
    The shiney graphics are still shiney on my pc screen

and OP, define longetivity please.
    If your talking 40hours per week for 6 years ..... well for some people who like WvW it is, if your a PvE (raider) player then no, because there are no raids !
    If you talking 2 nights 5/6 hours per week ... oh yes, this game will entertain you for a VEEEERY long time. < My case

ps: It's like playing WoW without raids but better wintergrasp. WoW is just as 'boring' when you finished leveling if your not into raiding.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    A lot of the things that I liked prior to launch, I actually don't like in the game, namely:

De-leveled in zones.
    The lack of gear grind
    Dynamic events (I'll explain in a bit)
    WvWvW
    Dungeons without the "trinity"
    Wow, I feel the polar opposite about almost everything you wrote. I haven't done any dungeons yet so I can't comment there.

As far as a gear grind equating to longevity, I suppose it does for some people but it's something I have hated in other games. I've said before that reaching max level is usually the death sentence for my characters, it's also probably a large contributing factor as to why I'm an altoholic. I hate running the same dungeons repeatedly, I hate raiding, I hate PvPing endlessly for gear, I hate doing dailies/reputation grinds, I basically hate almost the entirely of any given MMO's "end game".

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    ps: It's like playing WoW without raids but better wintergrasp. WoW is just as 'boring' when you finished leveling if your not into raiding.
    Not to get into a huge WoW vs GW2 debate, but there are far more things to do for a casual player in WoW then there is in GW2 - which is the bulk of my gripe against how the game turned out, versus what was hyped prior to launch. Especially now that they've (Blizzard) added scenarios, and the raid finder (you don't need to be a "raider" to enjoy raid finder).

For me (a now casual style player) the two games offer the following:

WoW:
    5 man dungeons with a finder so that I can do other things while in queue
    3 man scenario finder so that I can do other things while in queue
    25 man raid finder with lowered difficulty so that I can do other things while in queue
    A ton of daily quests with gated sections and a decent variety (for MOP)
    Profession farming for AH sales
    Pet battles for random entertainment against the normal style of play
    PvP – random battlegrounds, organized arena, rated battlegrounds
    Old content for transmog purposes, that I can mostly solo and do at my own pace

GW2:
    5 man dungeons without a finder forcing me to specific zones (mostly Lion’s Arch) to find a group
    Dynamic events
    Profession farming for TP sales
    WvWvW and SPvP

There’s a lot to do in WoW – granted the bulk of it is because the game is several years old and has the history of content, but still, it’s very hard to put a “boring” label on it if you’re not into progression raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m just playing around casually, derping around in zones completing new zones. I have around 67% World Completion, taking it slowly, and loving every second of it. I don’t really play on other characters than my Guardian, but I also have an Elementalist that I enjoy. Looking forward to The Lost Shores tomorrow!

Deleted
    The saddest part about GW2 for me, was that I REALLY, REAAAAAALY wanted to like it, I loved the concept, I liked the art style, the combat, even the jumping puzzles... it just felt like something was missing, I dunno... I really can't put my finger on it. I've even spoken to other's recently who felt the same, can't really say what was wrong, just... "something".

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    For me it didn't catch up that much, I've loved the time i've gotten with the game, but so far i haven't touched it in like 2 weeks, but stil, it totally paid off.
    Why did i stop playing? PvE content, I tend to prefer PvE content quite a lot in my mmo's, the way PvE is structured in GW2 hasn't atracted me all that much, maybe is due to the "clasic raiding model" I've been living.

On the pvp departure this game for me is quite huge, sadly there are a lot of skills i have to learn in order to start playing the pvp with some knowledge of what i'll be doing, and from that point forth start learning mechanics and possible counters, kind of a lot of labor that i don't want to get through once again on another game, that's not a design issue but a personal one sadly. The good side is that same point, there is so much to get on each role/profession that the game is somewhat deep in that sense, I hope sometime soon we'll start seeing some metagaming.
    This guy pretty much sums up my opinion here, but I do still see hope in it tho and it wont die as fast as swtor

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    have to wait to see if it lasts but I think it will depending on how often content patchs hit( imissed halloween event...)
    I love my lv 80 necromancer(dual dagger!) and enjoying lving my guardian,alchy, and warrior)

To me personally it didn't. Struggling to feel motivated whenever I do login.

I want the "gear treadmill", I NEED to chase a carrot (since I get to eat it eventually) and I want a lot of long-term goals. When I don't have any that interests me, not even mounts to collect, I fall off pretty fast. I hadn't expected to fall so soon though.

Does it have longevity as a game? Well...I'd say so, yes. Noone can deny that it's a success so far. I'm keeping an eye on it to see where it goes.

Not to get into a huge WoW vs GW2 debate, but there are far more things to do for a casual player in WoW then there is in GW2 - which is the bulk of my gripe against how the game turned out, versus what was hyped prior to launch. Especially now that they've (Blizzard) added scenarios, and the raid finder (you don't need to be a "raider" to enjoy raid finder).

For me (a now casual style player) the two games offer the following:

WoW:
    5 man dungeons with a finder so that I can do other things while in queue
    3 man scenario finder so that I can do other things while in queue
    25 man raid finder with lowered difficulty so that I can do other things while in queue
    A ton of daily quests with gated sections and a decent variety (for MOP)
    Profession farming for AH sales
    Pet battles for random entertainment against the normal style of play
    PvP – random battlegrounds, organized arena, rated battlegrounds
    Old content for transmog purposes, that I can mostly solo and do at my own pace

GW2:
    5 man dungeons without a finder forcing me to specific zones (mostly Lion’s Arch) to find a group
    Dynamic events
    Profession farming for TP sales
    WvWvW and SPvP

There’s a lot to do in WoW – granted the bulk of it is because the game is several years old and has the history of content, but still, it’s very hard to put a “boring” label on it if you’re not into progression raiding.
    You forgot a couple things,

WoW:
    Open world pvp. With CRZ this opens gives you the opportunity to gank or be ganked by high levels from other servers
    Compete with other players for nodes, see CRZ above for the same kinds of opportunities to fight with other high level players for nodes.
    Limited talent trees keeps choices simple
    2 crafting professions per character

GW2:
    PvP contained to WvW, sPvP & tPvP, no open world ganking
    Node sharing, everyone can farm the same nodes, people share node locations.
    Expansive trait lines, slot skills and weapon swapping for maximun customization of your build
    All 8 crafting disciplines can be learned by a single character
    Downscaling keeps all content current, dungeon tokens for lower level dungeons offer current level rewards
    Costume Brawl and Keg Brawl for random entertainment
    Jumping puzzles offer exploration, challenge and rewards
    Mini dungeons that do not require queueing or grouping to complete
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    You forgot a couple things,

WoW:
    Open world pvp. With CRZ this opens gives you the opportunity to gank or be ganked by high levels from other servers
    Compete with other players for nodes, see CRZ above for the same kinds of opportunities to fight with other high level players for nodes.
    Limited talent trees keeps choices simple
    2 crafting professions per character

GW2:
    PvP contained to WvW, sPvP & tPvP, no open world ganking
    Node sharing, everyone can farm the same nodes, people share node locations.
    Expansive trait lines, slot skills and weapon swapping for maximun customization of your build
    All 8 crafting disciplines can be learned by a single character
    Downscaling keeps all content current, dungeon tokens for lower level dungeons offer current level rewards
    Costume Brawl and Keg Brawl for random entertainment
    Jumping puzzles offer exploration, challenge and rewards
    Mini dungeons that do not require queueing or grouping to complete
    Several points you listed aren't things to actively and regularly do and/or were already covered. I understand what you were attempting in making sure to even out the itemized list between the two games, but in doing so you missed the point of the post.

I really don't understand why they couldn't just have added infusion slots to exotics instead of adding a new tier of gear. Then when they release new dungeons with new types of "Agony" they could add infusions to counter it, and players could collect different infusions and switch them out based on what dungeon they want to do, without needing better quality gear. So basically...I'm not sure anymore about the longevity of the game.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Depending on how they progress with Ascended items and Infusions, I'll have to change my stance to a strong "Maybe." Three months in and they are already breaking their manifesto. I'll continue to level my alts, but at a more leisurely pace as I wait and see the direction they actually take the game, and cannot base my expectations on what they have said previously. If they lied once, nothing prevents them from doing it again.

Several points you listed aren't things to actively and regularly do and/or were already covered. I understand what you were attempting in making sure to even out the itemized list between the two games, but in doing so you missed the point of the post.
    That it's obviously biased?
    1. You bloat the list with 3 different items that all go back to 1 item "So I can do other things while I am in queue"
    2. Those "tons of daily quests" have almost 0 variety between them. While I can say it's hard to come up with new refreshing concepts I get tired of doing the same 2 quests for each faction, kill x collect y, with the occasional oddball thrown in that is random at showing up.
    3. Also to pretty much prove your bias you list pet battles as something to do as well as farming mats for professions in CRZ which sucks now...yet Jumping puzzles offer exploration, challenge, rewards, and the like along with people not having to worry about people competing over nodes, especially with bots as "missing the point of the post" because 1(arguably 2, I mess with skills and all that MUCH more than wow)of his 8 points isn't something you actively do.

get real

The World of Warcraft bs. Drop it.

-Fencers

I think Gw2 can be really good as time goes on. Assuming they keep adding new content at a decent speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy GW2 in moderation. I can't say the same for WoW. I naturally spend more time on WoW because it requires more of a time sink to stay current/competitive. In GW2, I'll log on, level something a bit, get on my 80 and do a dungeon, and log off. I spent a month farming full exotic gear and leveled 5 crafts. I feel an attachment to my GW2 toons that I haven't felt for my WoW toons since TBC. That being said, dynamic events got old, I'm not a fan of the level squash, and I can't make myself enjoy WvW.

OT: Yeah I think the game has longevity. It's a blast to play for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The World of Warcraft bs. Drop it.

-Fencers
    Even when it helps illustrate a point specific to the OP without flamebaiting or trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Autier View Post
    Even when it helps illustrate a point specific to the OP without flamebaiting or trolling?
    Talking about the minor bickering that is skewing toward game v. game over the last two pages. Don't do that.

Still love the game and expect I won't complete all content for many months to come. Besides the personal fun I have whenever I actually have time to play (job keeps me rather busy), is just how alive all zones still feel this far after launch. GW2 has no LFG and so dungeon runners generally group up in LA. Despite that mechanic forcing people into one zone, there's still TONS of people running around the other zones.

The other point I want to make is how simultaneously great and primitive the combat system is. On the great side, it's engaging active and a ton of fun. On the primitive side, it really feels new and like they haven't entirely figured out it's potential. It kind of reminds me of early raids in WoW, where things worked and people had fun, but oh boy did things get better once the designers figured out what else they could do. Since I enjoy this basic model so much, I am very optimistic for what GW2 combat will eventually evolve into.