Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it bad that I dont like using my pet?

For damage anyway? From a pvp aspect.

I always have it on passive, and would much rather have it right by me for freedom and sac, rather than wanting to use it and it ran off somewhere. I dont even like using blink strike (while on passive) because it uses it, then its as if it has to attack everyone in the bg. I thought passive meant passive. (as in it would come back after blink strike.)

edit- Im playing MM, I hate BM.

Yes.. even as MM your pet still does a good amount of damage. Use your pet.

If you want to optimise your damage output, even in PvP, you need to use your pet. Need.

Don't like it? Hunter is not for you.

Any help on keeping it under control? Am I doing something wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    If you want to optimise your damage output, even in PvP, you need to use your pet. Need.

Don't like it? Hunter is not for you.
    Well it's the only one using bow...

Edit: And to be honest, since Blizzard likes to redo classes, why can't Marksman be petless spec? Being a marksman doesn't yell "TO BE GOOD ENOUGH I NEED TO HAVE A PET".

Passive means it will do nothing unless ordered to. However, using blink strike then makes the game assume you want it to keep attacking the same target, so it will turn auto attack on as well.

Furthermore, I think pets can be taunted, so that would explain why it would go off and attack someone else.

Only thing I can suggest really is just keep a close eye on it and keybind the attack/follow commands.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Blizzard have also stated repeatedly that Hunters will always use pets, since it's intrinsically linked to the theme of the class.

Buuuut that's a different debate entirely.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I agree with OP...I kinda wish they implemented something like the Grimoire of Sacrifice for Hunters. Would be kinda awesome, not having to worry about whether or not my pet is doing damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Blizzard have also stated repeatedly that Hunters will always use pets, since it's intrinsically linked to the theme of the class.

Buuuut that's a different debate entirely.
    Yea. I could say the same about warlocks, but what can you do..

Quote Originally Posted by Areox View Post

I always have it on passive, and would much rather have it right by me for freedom and sac, rather than wanting to use it and it ran off somewhere. I dont even like using blink strike (while on passive) because it uses it, then its as if it has to attack everyone in the bg. I thought passive meant passive. (as in it would come back after blink strike.)

You don't sound like you do pvp, because pvp wise, pets brings utility depending on their family for example snares, movement impairing skills, slowing attack or spell cast, while master's call help you escape.

Having said, it seems like for pvp at least, hunter is not the class for you if you think that using pet is too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post

Edit: And to be honest, since Blizzard likes to redo classes, why can't Marksman be petless spec? Being a marksman doesn't yell "TO BE GOOD ENOUGH I NEED TO HAVE A PET".
    Which is exactly why they need to do this. People say not to play Hunter, but some people want to fight with a bow/gun. Why does the use of a bow/gun have to be inherently tied to having a pet?

a 4 spec without pet will be great but if we have a small chance to get that, will be in the next expand after mop. you know how blizz work

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    Personally, I agree with OP...I kinda wish they implemented something like the Grimoire of Sacrifice for Hunters. Would be kinda awesome, not having to worry about whether or not my pet is doing damage.
    I talked about this on the official servers, and wave after wave of people were like, "you can't kill my fluffy cutesy pet blah blah blah!"

MM should be about taming a dangerous pet then slaying it to gain it's power, venom tipped ammo, different buffs from different pets etc etc
    Sig by Safhira

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    MM should be about taming a dangerous pet then slaying it to gain it's power, venom tipped ammo, different buffs from different pets etc etc
    This is actually all shades of awesome. It would be such a great idea!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer if they fix pet respond time. If i tell it too come back it stil attacks Arghhh. (mostly because of other minions out)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You don't sound like you do pvp, because pvp wise, pets brings utility depending on their family for example snares, movement impairing skills, slowing attack or spell cast, while master's call help you escape.

Having said, it seems like for pvp at least, hunter is not the class for you if you think that using pet is too hard.
    LOL I clearly said I like to use my pet only for sac and freedom, how does that sound like I dont pvp?

Because a hunter pet can cover basically any buff or debuff in the game, and not using it is gimping you incredibly hard on the battlefield. Works for me though. I'll just make sure I target the hunter with his pet on passive and destroy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Areox View Post

I'm not too good with macros, but i guess you could macro /petpassive to a number of your often used abilities, like arcane shot or chimaira shot? I do something similar with aspectswitching.

I do the same as you tho, always on passive. Dont even use blink strike Need to have my monkey there in case a stealther comes popping up! Then again, i dont do arenas, just BGs.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think it's bad yes, extra damage is extra damage, But if that's how you like to play, then play your way^_^

for mm isn't that bad.. ofc you have to use it for blink strike only, but the dmg is meh.. and pvp is just about burst now cc healer -> burst dps (you use blind strike)

you don't have make it attack all the time

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 03:15 PM ----------

btw I think he said.. something he use a monkey so yeah he use his pet, and he's talking about the dmg not about utility and stuff
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2012-11-16 at 06:16 PM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

You still need it for utility it provides. Try Fire Mage, personally I find the playstyle similar to hunter, but no pet involved.

Also: I really wish there was a pet-free spec of hunter, or something like Grimoire of Sacrifice