Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    I am now confused by the definition of average.
    Average = sum of all sample values / total number of samples
    In this case the values would be the numerical ratings the men got

Example:
    Sample values (rankings on a scale from 1 to 10): 2, 4, 10, 3, 3, 1, 9, 1, 3, 1
    Number of samples: 10

average = (1+1+1+2+3+3+3+4+9+10)/10 = 3.7

7 out of 10 (70%) are below average
    Last edited by guff; 2012-11-16 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Assuming those things would lead to incorrect conclusions. Part of what I like about my girlfriend is that she's a "girl with a future" - what this means isn't that she'll necessarily make "loads of money", but that she's getting a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and has strong career prospects going forward. She'll be doing something interesting, useful, and yes, something that pays reasonably well (although not "loads of money"). I also like that we'll be financially stable, which doesn't mean that I get free things, it means that we're able to share equally in our shared life expenses and go forward knowing that if either one of us was unemployed for a bit, we can pick up each other's slack. The same applies from her end regarding me being a guy with a future that brings financial stability to the table.
    This, exactly. I don't understand all the butt-hurt coming from guys in this thread regarding women who would like a stable partner. Sure, it's not for everyone, but not everyone likes to live on the edge of stability. And for the record, a "guy with a future" also has a context outside of financial stability. A partner who adores you for you would be sad to watch you waste talent, or your life, or not try to make the most of your abilities, or give up on dreams. That has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with personal success and happiness. If you can't understand this basic principle, it's likely that you are a guy with no future, and should look at your own life first before blaming women for seeing you as unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    I'll just assume "a guy with a future" means "someone who will make loads of money" and "financial stability" means "free dresses and other shit, while not going bankrupt because of my materialistic desires, because when that happens, I'm going to dump his sorry ass and marry a rich entrepreneur"
    TBH, I have no idea where you got that crap from... I'd consider my current boyfriend to be a "guy with a future" - meaning, he's studying something he wants to actually work with and that there's a good change he's going to get a job on that field. Meaning, he's happy and can support himself, and that we together could support a small family of our own. It also means he has some goals in life, like becoming a father. Someone playing WoW all day without any incentive to change things is not a a guy with a future. A guy thinking he can support himself solely by playing guitar and who considers absolutely no other option in life than to become famous musician is not a guy with a future. Essentially, a normal guy who has at least some concept of realities of life is a guy with a future.

Financial stability means that if I for some reason would become unable to work for a while we wouldn't go completely bankrupt and that even with kids we could still afford to live fairly normal life. And my "materialistic desires" are currently limited to three things I wouldn't actually need: tea, WoW and two small dogs. I don't buy new clothes unless I absolutely need to, and I refuse to buy anything unnecessary.

Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The thing that boggled my mind about the study was that 80% of men being "below average" is a mathematical impossibility.

There's something going on, but all I can get from the article is "fgsfdsa?"
    Maybe their personal average is the set of all men, and the OkCupid representation just doesn't pull enough from the above average (which makes sense if you think about it)
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the point is that when people use "average" in the context of "average looks", they are not talking about a statistical average. They're saying whether or not someone is above (or below) a standard of attractiveness.

For example, if you took a population of 1000 people and fed them fatty foods for a few years, making them all fat, it would still make sense to say that they are all "overweight", even though with respect to themselves there might a different average. It wouldn't make sense to say that any of them were below average.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    It's a two way street. It's rather arrogant to assume men don't think along similar lines when looking for a potential mate.
    It's arrogant to assume that ANYTHING stated in this thread is some sort of gender-wide truism.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    TBH, I have no idea where you got that crap from... I'd consider my current boyfriend to be a "guy with a future" - meaning, he's studying something he wants to actually work with and that there's a good change he's going to get a job on that field. Meaning, he's happy and can support himself, and that we together could support a small family of our own. It also means he has some goals in life, like becoming a father. Someone playing WoW all day without any incentive to change things is not a a guy with a future. A guy thinking he can support himself solely by playing guitar and who considers absolutely no other option in life than to become famous musician is not a guy with a future. Essentially, a normal guy who has at least some concept of realities of life is a guy with a future.

Financial stability means that if I for some reason would become unable to work for a while we wouldn't go completely bankrupt and that even with kids we could still afford to live fairly normal life. And my "materialistic desires" are currently limited to three things I wouldn't actually need: tea, WoW and two small dogs. I don't buy new clothes unless I absolutely need to, and I refuse to buy anything unnecessary.
    Cool, so you simply want to not go bankrupt and have a guy with a cookie-cutter 9 to 5 job. Fine, but still, I don't believe I'm too far from reality when I assume that most girls who go after that so called "financial stability" just mean they want a boyfriend who gives them free, expensive shit. The video that some guy linked a while ago proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Cool, so you simply want to not go bankrupt and have a guy with a cookie-cutter 9 to 5 job. Fine, but still, I don't believe I'm too far from reality when I assume that most girls who go after that so called "financial stability" just mean they want a boyfriend who gives them free, expensive shit. The video that some guy linked a while ago proves it.
    and a lot of guys want women who just look pretty to have sex with, with no regards to a real relationship. so they get rich to attract them. these types go together like peanut butter and jelly, and theres nothing wrong as long as theyre both happy.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    and a lot of guys want women who just look pretty to have sex with, with no regards to a real relationship. so they get rich to attract them. these types go together like peanut butter and jelly, and theres nothing wrong as long as theyre both happy.
    The world would be a perfect place if those kind of people always ended up together. Unfortunately, people who are actually decent, women or men, doesn't matter, are expected and taught to play that game as well. That's what makes me pissed.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    Some guys don't really respect women as people and don't really care about personalities or intelligence. They find them hot and want to be with them sexually, but there's no interest in anything beyond that. It always makes me boggle when I see some doctor or lawyer in a relationship with a hairdresser or something like that. I mean, what kind of possible dinner conversations could they possibly be having?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Easy to solve:

*80% of the men on OKCupid are below average looking (from the OKCupid stats)
    *50% of all men are below average looking (the definition of average)
    => There exists a population without a profile on OKCupid that are above average looking. If they signed up on OKCupid, then the percentage in the first premise would drop (until either more above average looking men are signed up than below average, or the entire world is signed up to OKCupid).

Which is kind of obvious.
    What he said. Also, how many good looking/attractive men feel it necessary to use an online dating service to find a date? I would imagine that most men that use an online dating service either lack the look to get that initial impression or just don't have the confidence to approach a woman in person so they post a bio and hope someone out there finds them and has something in common with them. I've never used such a service, but I also never had an issue getting a first date...most of which were found through the bar and nightclub service. Liquid courage for the win! Also I've been married for 8 1/2 years and with the same woman for over 10 years so I have no idea what the dating scene is like these days.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Some guys don't really respect women as people and don't really care about personalities or intelligence. They find them hot and want to be with them sexually, but there's no interest in anything beyond that. It always makes me boggle when I see some doctor or lawyer in a relationship with a hairdresser or something like that. I mean, what kind of possible dinner conversations could they possibly be having?
    "So, how was your day?"
    "fine"
    "cool. lets fuck later?"
    "only if you buy me that purse"

it is not a mathematical impossibility... Or am I being trolled?

Quote Originally Posted by guff View Post
    it is not a mathematical impossibility... Or am I being trolled?
    average also means "mediocre".

While possible, I still find it extremely unlikely. You're talking about a really huge sample size.
    The point is that a poll of a million football fans doesn't give you anything but the views of a million football fans. Sites like OKCupid have their demographic markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The point is that a poll of a million football fans doesn't give you anything but the views of a million football fans. Sites like OKCupid have their demographic markets.
    As I said, while that's true I still find it incredibly hard to believe that, of the millions of members, a perfectly distributed sample of women joined up but only unattractive men.

As I said, while that's true I still find it incredibly hard to believe that, of the millions of members, a perfectly distributed sample of women joined up but only unattractive men.
    Honestly what it probably is is a buyer's market for women and their increased options increasing their selectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Honestly what it probably is is a buyer's market for women and their increased options increasing their selectiveness.
    All the world is a buyer's market for most women already...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is that just like 80% of women are below average looking? We are a shallow race of creatures aren't we? Pretty fucking laughable when women say that on average about 80% of the male population is below average in terms of looks, when there are just as many fat, gross, ugly looking women out there as there are men. I am sure if you did the same study using men polled and they were asked about women's looks, most would say the exact same thing.

All the world is a buyer's market for most women already...
    Honestly I think this mostly due to male behavior.