View Poll Results: You are offered 3 free epics. How many do you take?

Voters
304. This poll is closed
  • 0. I want to earn my own gear.

28 9.21%
  • 1. A free major upgrade is too good to pass up.

39 12.83%
  • 2. I take upgrades from where I can get them.

48 15.79%
  • 3. Free is free.

189 62.17%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

You are offered 3 free epics

You are offered 3 free epics.

The first is a major upgrade.
    The second is a minor upgrade.
    The third is not an upgrade or a sidegrade at best.

How many do you take?

I don't get it, we're offered three of them, so surely I'd take all three. Disenchant the Minor & Sidegrade and use the Major.

Why would you ever take the major upgrade and not take the other two as well? Seems a bit pointless.

Where do the epics come from? Are they really just a free gift? Or did someone hack an account to get them? Most things are not really free, so I'd like to know a bit more detail before I bite.

Deleted
    I take the wooden epic, because that way, the fairy will be impressed by how humble I am and give me all three. At least that's how the story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Where do the epics come from? Are they really just a free gift? Or did someone hack an account to get them? Most things are not really free, so I'd like to know a bit more detail before I bite.
    Would it matter? You don't know where they came from, what will happen to the ones you don't take, and don't know the person offering. BUT they're definitely not asking for gold or real money or anything in return for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    Would it matter? You don't know where they came from, what will happen to the ones you don't take, and don't know the person offering. BUT they're definitely not asking for gold or real money or anything in return for them.
    If I didn't know the person offering I'd actually probably be too wary to take them. I don't know that the person offering them isn't some kind of hacker and I won't get banned for them trading items to me.

If it was someone that I knew offering them to me, I'd probably only take the major upgrade...but I would definitely take it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's make it more interesting - one of them carries a terrible curse!

if it's free i'll take three [2]

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Let's make it more interesting - one of them carries a terrible curse!
    Damn, that changes everything, well actually depends which kind of curse are we talking about, can't pass free epics.

Fairly certain those who chose: I want to earn my own gear, thought the poll was one where you could see who had voted what and didn't want to ruin their illusion of being hardcore.
    Last edited by Xeraxis; 2012-11-16 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    Free is free, no-brainer here. What is up with those "free epics" anyway? If you have to do something (be it grind rep, do dailies, kill a boss or whatever) they're not free. By that logic epics from final boss are free too, if you manage to down final boss (the hardest one) you don't need any more gear as you can defeat hardest challenge game has to offer. Therefore drops from it are "free" for you, you don't need that to progress further since you cleared whole content.

Anyone voting otherwise is a fool to be honest. In vanilla you just didn't had any other ways of obtaining epics other than raiding. Analog situation - you are offered 10,000 euros completely for free, no ifs no buts. You a) want to earn your cash and refuse b) take half as you dont need that much c) take all cos it's a gift. I bet everyone would take it, those that don't are simply bad at life.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2012-11-16 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    Very strange.

Clearly the only reponses which would matter are "I want to earn my own gear" and "I would take them". This would define those who want to work for their gear and those who don't.

Everything else would be irrelevant as you're not outlining a consequence or potential outcome for taking 1, 2 or all of the legendaries.

Something along the lines of this would be more appropriate:
    "You down a boss and he drops 3 items, you're top of DKP (or whatever) and can buy all 3 items if you desire. One is a clear upgrade, one is a minor upgrade and one is a sidegrade/cosmetic item. Other people in the guild are in obvious need of all 3 of the items, but do you take 1, 2 or all of the legendaries that droped?".

All of them? They're free, why wouldn't I? I'll gear myself any way that I can, it doesn't particularly matter where it comes from.

I don't raid to get loot that I feel good about. I raid to get boss kills that I feel good about and have fun fighting.

Example - If a person came up to me, opened up a trade window, and put the 3 epics into it, and clicked "trade". Before I clicked my "Trade" button, I would ask them what is going on. I would want to make sure they didn't think I was someone else, make a mistake, or anything like that.

That is why it matters to me. I don't want to screw anyone over by blindly taking the items.

However, if that person responds "I am quitting the game and have these extra items". Then, I would thank them and take them all. The ones I don't need, I'd distribute.

I misread the poll and voted "free upgrades are too good to pass up". Its afteward that i realized the one was actually part of the poll. I would've voted 3.

That's how progression works. Sure, the whole elitist "I farm my own gear" is a nice mindset, but the world first guys probably wouldnt give a shit about it if it meant getting a world first or not.
    No matter how "omg welfare" people on the forums gets, their mindset is entirely different, they'll take the gear and not say a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    I'd rather raid and earn my gear. Getting free epics is like cheating. I will never understand or do it.

Deleted
    3. Free is free.

Obviously this. Anyone who says otherwise, is lying

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    If I didn't know the person offering I'd actually probably be too wary to take them. I don't know that the person offering them isn't some kind of hacker and I won't get banned for them trading items to me.

If it was someone that I knew offering them to me, I'd probably only take the major upgrade...but I would definitely take it.
    I logged in and found 40k gold in my mail box sent by someone who had deleted the sending char (was marked as unknown) didn't care how it got there but no one ever asked for it back, free is free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I'd rather raid and earn my gear. Getting free epics is like cheating. I will never understand or do it.
    Having my raid leader offer to make me the crafted 472 chest and gloves so that I can perform even better in raids is technically free epics, but didn't feel like cheating to me. :P

We like to help each other.