Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Naval combat with personal ships would be wonderful in PVP

Imagine something basic enough right? You start with a low level cutter, then upgrade all the way to full fledged battleship, and PVP your way against the other faction in naval combat.

- Naval battle tactics

- Upgradeable ships

- New PVP modes: Battle royale, Assault the fort, Destroy the convoy

- New PVP maps: Kul'Tiras, Theramore and The Maelstrom

- Totally new PVP, focus outside character CC and micromanaging and on to grand battles on a totally different scale and scope.

I would prefer this a million times over new PVP maps, temple and mines I've already played in other games like Global Agenda where they were far more developped anyway.

I think they should stick to their current PvP system, rather than attempt to create a whole new form of combat.

You do realize people get tired of the same old thing and many of us would like to see something NEW? Perhaps invest their efforts in better thing than pet battles?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    You do realize people get tired of the same old thing and many of us would like to see something NEW? Perhaps invest their efforts in better thing than pet battles?
    10 million+ say hi.

But I do think it'd be a cool prospect.

Don't agree with your usual WoW bashing comments though. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

It would be too much time spent for something only some would enjoy though. Its would be awesome, yes, but its almost like developing a whole new game. Way too much time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

After playing assassin creeds 3 naval combat... i say FUCK YES! blizzard needs to make this happen in some way, as long as the boats have some actual physics rather than being like a mount and being able to turn 180 degrees on a dime.

I know quite a few people that just reached lev90 in the last week because they spent all their time doing pet battles and loving it.

I agree though. WoW needs more systems added to it to give us more to do. They've done some good things this expansion. I hope the next expansion can bring more.

If they do bring a vehicle type pvp I wish they'd drop the current vehicle system. It's so boring and slow moving vehicles around. We need a fun vehicle type that reacts similar to character movement but faster then a ground mount. Something we and speed around in and attack each other in a quickly paced setting.

I have hoped for this for years, I played Pirates of the carribean online and i was very impressed with the naval combat
    i wonder how the naval combat will be in assassins creed 3
    one person drives and shoots, one person can personally use a cannon and possibly board a ship similar to the gunship battle in ice crown
    i was hoping for a sea expansion and with all these new boat designs in MOP i think it would be a great idea

Darkfall had this sort of thing, and it apparently was viewed favorably.

Really, pvp in this game could be SO much more than it is now, but it would require a pretty big revamp in how things are done, as well as complete buy-in from a majority of the playerbase, and that ain't going to happen.

-craftable naval and air ships of varying sizes (using teams of crafters to assemble, repair... tailors and leatherworkers for sails, engineers for guns, blacksmiths for armor and wood, etc)
    -craftable ballista that would need to be pulled and positioned by players on ground mounts.
    -attackable / capturable outlying towns and capital cities, as well as cities that could be expanded with enough joint effort from players / guilds.
    -attackable / capturable supply convoys (for both faction vendors and auction houses)

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    10 million+ say hi.

But I do think it'd be a cool prospect.

Don't agree with your usual WoW bashing comments though. :x
    I AM ONE OF THOSE 10 MILLION PLAYERS. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ME WANTING NEW AND BETTER THINGS?

And WHAT do my other comments have to do with THIS THREAD?

WHY do people inspect other users' comments for TOTALLY UNRELATED SHIT?

I AM ONE OF THOSE 10 MILLION PLAYERS. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ME WANTING NEW AND BETTER THINGS?

And WHAT do my other comments have to do with THIS THREAD?

WHY do people inspect other users' comments for TOTALLY UNRELATED SHIT?
    Relax man, caps =/= cool.

That said, do you remember the backlash with siege engines? The outcry over the lameness of jousting in AT?
    I think most people think naval combat COULD be cool, but given Blizz's track record with 'mixing it up' they are wary of dev time being spent on something that ultimately would turn out shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    So, basically;
    - Vehicle Combat
    - Different Vehicles to choose from
    - New PVP Mode: Large scale vehicle based skirmish on one side, and destroy the convoy on the other
    - New PVP Map
    - Totally original PVP focusing on something that's been in the game for many years

Sounds like AV in some regards and Wintergrasp in others. Water and swimming is NOT fun in WoW. It's an entirely unfun mechanic. When your ship get's destroyed, enjoy swimming to the shore. Vehicle battles have existed for years as we've seen, and Blizzard apparently doesn't want large scale battles going on judging by the way they changed AV all those years ago, and by the way they've only just got around to updating WG to match the level cap (which probably still won't make it relevant) for the simple reason it fits the story.

We were promised aerial combat. We got Malygos. That's my main concern with "A new type of PVP".
    YES, basically, that is it, except I typed it out in DETAIL, so I don't understand why you have to resume it on a BASIC level!

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH AV. NOTHING TO DO WITH WG. NOTHING TO DO WITH SWIMMING.

Just because you have 11 billion posts and you're a moderator does not give you the right to post USELESS SHIT.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Darkfall had this sort of thing, and it apparently was viewed favorably.

Really, pvp in this game could be SO much more than it is now, but it would require a pretty big revamp in how things are done, as well as complete buy-in from a majority of the playerbase, and that ain't going to happen.

-craftable naval and air ships of varying sizes (using teams of crafters to assemble, repair... tailors and leatherworkers for sails, engineers for guns, blacksmiths for armor and wood, etc)
    -craftable ballista that would need to be pulled and positioned by players on ground mounts.
    -attackable / capturable outlying towns and capital cities, as well as cities that could be expanded with enough joint effort from players / guilds.
    -attackable / capturable supply convoys (for both faction vendors and auction houses)
    So...GW2 WvW then?

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    So...GW2 WvW then?
    Why not? Shouldn't Warcraft live up to its name in more than new BG maps and quests with little events just telling us there's war everywhere??

Why not? Shouldn't Warcraft live up to its name in more than new BG maps and quests with little events just telling us there's war everywhere??
    It all sounds very very nice and simple in your magical fantasy MMO, but unfortunately GW2 was built with one system for combat and WoW was built 7 years prior with an infinitely different one.

I, too, played Pirates of the Caribbean and loved the naval combat. PotC obviously wasn't given huge resources for the game in general, but the fun from having your own ship and sailing and having naval combat (PvP or PvE) went beyond the small scale and very limited ship options.

All that said, to do it right would be to make a whole separate game. If done in WoW it would nearly have to be its own xpac. This is really a huge addition, bigger than may be feasible without cutting it down so much that it just feels like Wintergrasp on water, in which case it would not be fun, in my lowly opinion. The idea of having a primary or (more likely) a secondary shipbuilding profession with various types of ships and possible armadas (naval-based guilds) sounds so cool that anything less could result in a 'Be careful what you wish for' situation.
    Last edited by Chronk; 2012-11-17 at 07:12 PM.

So...GW2 WvW then?
    No, because aside from quite a few differences, GW2 WvW is a seperate entity from the PvE side of the house.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2012-11-17 at 07:15 PM.

Deleted
    Naval fight isd uber as i have always been a naval fight fan.

Too bad the best game on the matter for now remains Voyage Century which has a great deal of naval fight, land fight and all kind of exploration that naval business would give during those times.

On wow with wow style ships would be .. great.

Maybe a pve version.

It all sounds very very nice and simple in your magical fantasy MMO, but unfortunately GW2 was built with one system for combat and WoW was built 7 years prior with an infinitely different one.
    There's nothing that couldn't be accommodated in WoW as it currently exists, with perhaps a revamp of various waterways and rivers for better inland access in some zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if people have noticed, but in order to make the game more interesting, you have to add new stuff. How long would you play if Blizzard kept all the classes the same, instead of 'wasting time' to add new abilites? Point is, not everyone plays this game for the same reason. You have to add new stuff to keep your players interested.