Poll: What did you think of the Lost Shores event?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would probably feel the same about p3 if they hadn't screwed it up in the very last part. Now I am a bit miffed about it but not really angry (okay I was first but I chilled down irl before posting my comment on official forums first). Getting disconnected due to whatever cause from your overflow and thus losing your rights to loot the chest was not a good move really. The thread on official forums already got nearly 500 replies. They said they are looking into it. Here's hope they find a way to appease players a little. I'd really have liked to see the whole event and I guess I will have to check out Youtube for it.

Here's hope they are learning from this because it frankly felt very unprofessional in many parts.

I also felt the HPs on monsters were overdone. In general I feel one-time events in the open world although making sense in terms of story immersion don't really go down well if they are suffering from technical flaws. I am not sure how ANet feels about phasing or having a special type of overflow where the event is getting repeated so people could replay the event. What I am thinking about is that they could have an NPC out there whom after talked to would send you there. They could even make a 5-man version of it, tuned down and otherwise the same. That way they would prevent zone overload and desyncs between each overload as everyone can do it at his/her own leisure.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-19 at 12:36 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I'll have to change my vote from OK to bad. I still have no idea how to actually get to the island. I'm guessing it's not by taking the obvious path from Sparkfly Fen that has an obviously temporary rock blocking the way. None of the 4 NPCs that I could find in Lions Arch had any useful information, and the letter I got from the magic pigeon just drops a circle in a blob of undiscovered terrain. I missed the Halloween event, but if this is any clue as to how that unfolded, I'm glad I missed it. Coupled with the buggy DEs, and I'd say this was a perfect way to prevent a player influx. Luckily, the people I gave my keys to were unable to play due to a family emergency. I'm not sure how I'd go about explaining this charade to them. On the plus side, I got about a dozen levels on my Warrior today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    I'll have to change my vote from OK to bad. I still have no idea how to actually get to the island. I'm guessing it's not by taking the obvious path from Sparkfly Fen that has an obviously temporary rock blocking the way. None of the 4 NPCs that I could find in Lions Arch had any useful information, and the letter I got from the magic pigeon just drops a circle in a blob of undiscovered terrain. I missed the Halloween event, but if this is any clue as to how that unfolded, I'm glad I missed it. Coupled with the buggy DEs, and I'd say this was a perfect way to prevent a player influx. Luckily, the people I gave my keys to were unable to play due to a family emergency. I'm not sure how I'd go about explaining this charade to them. On the plus side, I got about a dozen levels on my Warrior today.
    You go to the docks in LA, and there is a ship that takes you to the island. Talk to the NPC with a star over his head.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Actually the Halloween event was much better.
    You should have gotten a mail that, when you clicked the "show me" would show you the docks of Lion's Arch. There was a boat symbol of the map right there, the npcs talked about a boat. Now, no offense, but if all this didn't clearly show you that's where the boat was... I don't think what would have. There are some valid things to criticize the event over, but this is not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Same problem as other MMO's though, folks would rather stay there and wait for a rez (even when everyone is dead and half are doing the run back) even if their gear is gone.
    Given how many people were there (at least in my experience) I didn't see this as a problem. Anyone who died usually had the max amount of resurrectors on them and were up in maybe 5 seconds. (Getting 1200+ EXP per res at level 80 is a nice incentive. :P)

I don't personally have a problem with running back, but I do have a problem with being charged for it every time I do especially in this circumstance where most player deaths were of no fault of their own. Thus I can't really blame anyone for waiting for a res if one is possible, which it was.

Fencer's how to be Scrooge McDuck in Guild Wars 2 protip: deposit like 99% of your money in the bank. Rezzing is free if you have no money. :>

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Given how many people were there (at least in my experience) I didn't see this as a problem. Anyone who died usually had the max amount of resurrectors on them and were up in maybe 5 seconds. (Getting 1200+ EXP per res at level 80 is a nice incentive. :P)
    Depends, if they're downed, or we've just finished a set, rez is great. If the zerg wandered into a 10 veteran spawn that wiped out 90% of us and the rest have no way to get to the bodies? It's just pointless to wait it out, doesn't help the group at all. Especially for the one part where we were within spitting distance of the one camp.

If everyone else has to release to secure the area enough to rez you, then you really should make the run back with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fencer's how to be Scrooge McDuck in Guild Wars 2 protip: deposit like 99% of your money in the bank. Rezzing is free if you have no money. :>
    You should seriously write a guide (if you haven't already). :P I was clenching my teeth just at the cost of putting together a decent MF set.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    If the zerg wandered into a 10 veteran spawn that wiped out 90% of us and the rest have no way to get to the bodies? It's just pointless to wait it out, doesn't help the group at all.
    Yeah, that's true. I never encountered that with my group during the event, fortunately.

I don't know how anybody that missed an event that has a chance of a precursor because of real life issues is not going to get pissed off and vote the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    You should seriously write a guide (if you haven't already). :P I was clenching my teeth just at the cost of putting together a decent MF set.
    As one MMO cheapskate to another; I know that feel, sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    You should have gotten a mail that, when you clicked the "show me" would show you the docks of Lion's Arch. There was a boat symbol of the map right there, the npcs talked about a boat. Now, no offense, but if all this didn't clearly show you that's where the boat was... I don't think what would have. There are some valid things to criticize the event over, but this is not one.
    I did not get any mail that showed a boat in Lions Arch, across the three characters I played over the weekend. I was told about the initial start with the two people doing an investigation, and I had a mail or two about events happening in Kessex and Caledon. I spoke with the salad requesting donations and the gal over by the wishing well (wishing you'd get something useful). None of these people ever mentioned a boat when I spoke to them. The only other mail I got was the one that showed me the final event location on the unexplored map. The only linking zone is Sparkfly, and a dozen or two players were wandering around trying to find the way in, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that never received any information about a boat. I'll chock that up to another bug I guess.

My opinion is split into two points: Firstly, there is the event content, which I found to be a terribly paced mess. Secondly, there is the new dungeon, which is awesome and one of the best things in Guild Wars 2.

The events were buggy and ridiculous. The final karka battle in particular was poised to be absolutely incredible, but once the thing went underway it became apparent that Arenanet greatly overestimated the kind of damage players would be doing to enemies. Reinforcement events took forever, enemies would not appear until they were breathing down your neck, and such a massive zergfest starts to get old after a while. The island itself was a breath of fresh air, however, but I wish Arenanet would have made it a more 'traditional' zone with renown hearts and vistas. Without a 100% completion bar over the zone the event-based gameplay starts to lose substance, and I feel as if this island will go the way of orr zones soon, with no karma-vendor-like incentive to go there.

The fractals, on the other hand, are AWESOME. Each fractal is an incredible mini-dungeon with fantastic looking environments and unique mechanics. Every single one has something fresh and original to offer, and the scaling difficulty means 'hardcore' players like myself who have seen all of the dungeon content finally have some increasing challenge to get around to. Vent coordination seemed a must with a lot of these fights, and I thouroughly loved all of the neat flourishes, like the grindhouse-horror-movie-esque boss The Moss Man in the swamp fractal. He kept popping up in the swamp and attacking players who were alone, dissapearing when another friendly arrived to help them out. What an awesome concept.

As a whole, the event was a success. The temporary event bombed, but the fractals are so fantastic that they alone would make a terrific event. I hope Arenanet learns form this and gives us more dungeons in the future.

Because of work I missed every live event (yes, even the weekend stuff) and I could never be around for Noll to spawn the brief moments he was unbugged that's as far as I got on the quest chain. Basically, this event has all been a giant zero for me.

Buggy but fun. I always like big scale events. Good note to end on.

On the down side: The 2 bugs stucking the initial side investigations and the lag fest that was the initial appearance of the karka in Lion's Arch were disheartening. But...
    - The jumping puzzle with the gayser popping rocks rocked!
    - The new dungeons look very promising (I didn't have too much time to delve too much into them but a couple of runs were very nice)
    - The finale event was super! It could have some phases a bit shortened but overall I had great fun. There was no lag, plus I got 2 precursors from the final chest, one of which was Chaos Gun for my engineer :PPPPP

8/10 for me. I'm sure these will improve overtime, so overall I'm very excited for the future of this game!!!
    Last edited by kelevandros; 2012-11-19 at 06:37 AM.

Deleted
    I really disliked the finale event. Just hours and hours of getting one shot and killing "reinforcements".

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a depressing thread, a friend recently started playing and I thought, hell just give it a go. I dont think Ill bother. watching the videos (the ones without lag) the zergfest looks as bland and lifeless as ever.

Deleted
    Phase one was short and sweet, with a little bit of lag for a couple of minutes. I enjoyed it but just wish it had lasted longer or been repeated.

Phase two suffered from having bugged npc's, which was a little disappointing as even after they had been fixed, you ended up locked out of the follow on stuff.

Phase three was awesome! No lag, and it really seemed as if you were taking part in a large scale battle. The fight to plant the explosives in the hive was simply epic, what with the rolling crabs and laughing at all the idiots that still don't know how to dodge or that standing in green stuff / red circles is bad. The follow on battle to drive the ancient boss across the zone and into the hive was reminiscent of scenes in Starship Troopers. I think Arena Net got the difficulty of the zone / mobs spot on, its just a shame so many players clearly weren't up to the task.

So whilst the weekend event was far from perfect, phase three has to be one of the most epic mmorpg events ever, in terms of both scale and pure fun.

I do understand that people with lower end computers may have suffered due to so many people being online at the same time, but really GW2 is a current game and should be played on a current system if you want to enjoy it to its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I really disliked the finale event. Just hours and hours of getting one shot and killing "reinforcements".

1 shot?, how?, i play a lot of melee mesmer, i did not get 1 shot 1 single time ;/

also i guess many people that have voted are probably WoW players since a lot on this forum comes/plays WoW thus skewing the result.

With that said, the dungeon is awesome, I like the new Karka and the new area too, The events in Lion's Arch could have been done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty boring.

Same old stuff; stand in a zerg, auto attack. More collection / gussied up dailies for trivial & inconsequential items. Cash shop encouraged throughout the event.

The game is unbelievably shallow compared to Guild Wars 1. I've probably logged... 3-4 hours total over the past month and a half.
    I don't understand the cash shop thing you've mentioned, i have yet to go there and buy anything let alone wanted to for anything.

Well, GW1 was great in it's own way, GW2 is a completely different game than GW1, which they've also said, you can not compare the 2 games at all.

And if you only auto attack ofcourse you're gonna be bored, and be bored quickly, dailies are just there for you to get a little extra for doing what you should be doing in the game anyway.
    Last edited by Salech; 2012-11-19 at 08:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kelevandros View Post
    [...]
    - The finale event was super! It could have some phases a bit shortened but overall I had great fun. There was no lag, plus I got 2 precursors from the final chest, one of which was Chaos Gun for my engineer[...]
    Yeah, I'd also definitely call the event super in that case as well.

But seriously in my opinion it was not a move marked by bottomless wisdom to drastically increase dropchances for precursors for a one-time event. Especially one where a vast amount of people did not get to see the end of it. Such acts usually lead to enormous amount of unnecessary friction among the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    also i guess many people that have voted are probably WoW players since a lot on this forum comes/plays WoW thus skewing the result.
    Based on? I'd think it is entirely possible not to play WoW at all and still being very displeased with it. I like the game but the way they handled this event or were handling events so far are disgraceful if not embarrassing when happening during a public trial phase. (ignoring controversial changes made which are another topic)
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-19 at 09:17 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!