Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Halo 4 being announced. I thought Microsoft was smarter than trying to beat that horse!

The Virginia Tech massacre was pretty shocking for me. At the time, I was a graduate student of a school of similar size and prestige, so it really hit home in a way that other tragedies hadn't. It made me sick to my stomach, I had to leave campus for the day and go home, just couldn't focus.

Deleted
    Maachan graduating. This is not supposed to say you anything at all, but if it does, more power to you.

Also, that earthquake + tsunami + reactor meltdown in japan

everything else, I didn't give a damn

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say the Twin Tower terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. I know it was 11 years ago now, but if we think maybe from a 2000-2010 (first decade of the new millennium you get the idea) it's probably one of the biggest shocks, attacks on American soil are not typically expected, especially one such as that.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The Tsunami on boxing day of 2004, my cousin was down there with her man and their little daughter celebrating xmas as well, so that was a big deal. +230 000 dead people.

This is a great documentary, consisting of video photage by people(british, german, swedish mostly) that was on those beaches+interviews, gives me the creeps watching it.
    All parts are up on Youtube.

#2 Utöya, Norway

#3 9/11
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStocket View Post
    The extinction of Chelonoidis nigra abingdoni is far more shocking than anything else mentioned here
    //cry!!!!

Awww man! I never knew! I'm a big turtle/tortoise fan too. So sad. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    Except "decade" while meaning 10 consecutive years, is also accepted to mean specific periods. In this case it would be 2001-2010. English.
    Also some people accept a decade as 0-9 and not 1-10, despite the fact that there was no year zero. They just feel more comfortable that way. And because there is no controlling legal authority, its as much personal preference as language and local dialects. So some people will say the last decade is 2000-2009.

Greece winning the European Football Championship

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Or how the universe is speeding up not slowing down.
    They have proof of this? I thought it was a theory.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Halo 4 being announced. I thought Microsoft was smarter than trying to beat that horse!
    If it sells, what's wrong with that.

Honestly, I wish more games would do that. We're getting to the point were video games are more like interactive shows and movies. I would be a little annoyed if everyone felt they had to stop every show at 3 seasons just because they are afraid of being tacky or cliche. However, I could see where your going with games like COD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    No one mentioned 9/11? Weird...
    I'm sorry to say it, but it hasn't affected me personally in any shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    If it sells, what's wrong with that.

Honestly, I wish more games would do that. We're getting to the point were video games are more like interactive shows and movies. I would be a little annoyed if everyone felt they had to stop every show at 3 seasons just because they are afraid of being tacky or cliche. However, I could see where your going with games like COD.
    I never said anything was inherently wrong with it, just that it was surprising. The general overinvestment into specific franchises and reluctance to branch into original IPs is a problem, in my eyes, and perhaps an indication of the medium's adolescence.

I also have absolutely no idea how good Halo 4 is. Should probably get around to trying it sometime.

How good The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was, and how bad the Star Wars prequel trilogy was.

How Apple has gone from underdog to pretty much owning the tech world.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    They have proof of this? I thought it was a theory.
    Hubble Red Shift + Farther objects are moving faster, proportionally. Pretty much nails it.

Obligatory "theory in science doesn't mean the same as theory in the common tongue."

Last decade? Finding the Higgs Boson was pretty bitchin'. Twilight being a thing, I guess, kinda caught me off guard.

Voting for Higgs Boson.

I never said anything was inherently wrong with it, just that it was surprising. The general overinvestment into specific franchises and reluctance to branch into original IPs is a problem, in my eyes, and perhaps an indication of the medium's adolescence.

I also have absolutely no idea how good Halo 4 is. Should probably get around to trying it sometime.
    Word from the Penny Arcade boys is all praise for the campaign. As for multiplayer...couldn't tell you. I suck at all forms of PVP.
    Last edited by RaoBurning; 2012-11-19 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day, with an estimated $300 million opening week, marking a new record for the franchise.[11]

Yeah...why would you continue a game franchise that's still lucrative? You'd think they'd be smarter and try to NOT make money.

OT: Only thing I can think of is Obama being elected, never thought something like that would happen in my lifetime. I would say 9/11, but since it was known that an attack was being planned since 1998, it wasn't exactly surprising Maybe it's more surprising that someone would ignore so many warnings of an impending attack than it actually happening.

15+ Year Old Account
    06/06/06. It was a fun day, since my night sky was fucking red. @_@.

Bush being reelected - nobody thought America was that dumb.

Bin Laden being captured and killed.

Arab Spring taking off the way it did.

Google domination

China's economy getting to where it is right now. There were some predictions that this might happen, but not on such a large scale.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-19 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrase View Post
    Maybe because it happened 11 years ago?

For me, as a norwegian, 22/7 was a big shock for me. A single day cant pass without me thinking about it.
    Did it affect you personally? If not, I don't understand why this would have such an impact on your life? Call me cold and heartless, but I've always wondered how someone could break down in tears when, for example, Steve Irwin died. It's not like they knew him personally, so why cry?
    Confused Dwarf is confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Economic collapse of the US. Growing up in a poor country hearing about all the wonders of the US I never thought it could fall into an economic crisis. I was a kid too so..
    excuse me? we are still growing just not as fast.. when it takes the next 3-4 countries combined to match our GDP and yes that includes china. im not sure you could say its a collapse..every country is going to have periods where its rough and even if we shrunk by 2-3% .. we would still have the largest economy in the world.. don't believe everything that foxnews/cnn tells you use your own common sense and see that they are trying to shift public opinion. they get larger ratings based on giving bad news.. so of course they will spin it to seem worse than it is.

sometimes a buisness has to remain stable not expand tilll things settle back down.. we arnt done growing or succeding in america far from it to be honest.

United States 15,075,675 (thats in millions so yes.. thats 15 trillion)
    2 China 7,298,147n2
    3 Japan 5,866,540
    4 Germany 3,607,364
    5 France 2,778,085
    Last edited by McTurbo; 2012-11-19 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Everyone on the BBC pre-1990 being a dirty paedophile.
    Well, not everyone! They will all probably turn out to be freemasons covering up for each other or something.

Can I say how shockingly mediocre the last series of the X-files were?