Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't understand the point of camping outside a store that you can readily enter at that time. I hope the police clears them out for loitering or something because that's just stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Do you think people would be waiting a week in line if there was a website where they could get the same deals?
    I do. There are people who think that they are better drivers while drunk. People are fucking stupid.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-19 at 06:51 AM.

A lot of people seem to be missing a pretty significant factor for why they do this. Some people just simply like doing it. They enjoy the urgency, and the atmosphere. They probably even like the competition with other shoppers. Hey, it's certainly not MY thing, but to each their own. It certainly doesn't make them losers, or bums. It's just their thing.

I don't really understand all the animosity for people engaged in activities that in no way effect anyone but themselves.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

All I care about is Cyber Monday.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Glad we do not have Black Friday in Sweden ._. We have enough of crazy shoppers the days after christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyclear View Post
    This picture has been spreading like wildfire through my Facebook feed. This pretty much sums it up:

Where I live alot of the stores are starting their Black Friday event on Thursday around 8pm, don't even get to make it through Thanksgiving anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that last couple of years so people died/were injured, so if you're planning on going you better be prepared...

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 07:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I don't really understand all the animosity for people engaged in activities that in no way effect anyone but themselves.
    Because it is dangerous and uncivilised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Honestly, I hate these things. Shops should have a constant, low price.
    OMG NO WAY.

OT: I think it's a bit ridiculous, but what do I care what other people do with their time?

I was in America on Holidays during Thanksgiving Week and Black Friday, and frankly I saw some of the deals in the shops and on TV and it didn't really even seem that great.

Like things weren't discounted that much more then when a store normally discounts stuff. The main difference is they discount TONS of shit all at once for Black Friday, whereas normal discounts they'll just put a special on 1 or 2 TV's, or have 1 Laptop Deal or something.

I cannot blame the people camping out though, If I had to wait in a literal line to get into like a Midnight Screening of The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey (Instead of just booking online and having set seats), I'd be camping out for sure. Soon as there was a few people in line, I'd get my ass there ASAP. I wouldn't want to be the first one though.

Man black friday is stupid as hell

ZOMG! This 1GB USB Drive with a screen attatched to it that we're calling a "Netbook" , normally $250, now only $230! Come camp out and then get into a physical altercation with strangers and hope you don't get trampled along the way! ITS SO WORTH IT DERP!

15+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing worth camping out for this year.

There are some deals worth jumping on, and maybe even waking up early for (especially if Microcenter/Frys have good BF deals and you live near one), but camping? No.

Just watch Deals forums if you want something. We needed a new TV, I waited a couple months and watched forums and picked up a 42" Plasma for $230 after a clearance at Best Buy combined with the 15% off for display models.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    A lot of people seem to be missing a pretty significant factor for why they do this. Some people just simply like doing it. They enjoy the urgency, and the atmosphere. They probably even like the competition with other shoppers. Hey, it's certainly not MY thing, but to each their own. It certainly doesn't make them losers, or bums. It's just their thing.

I'm not sure if you are aware but people on Black friday act like crazed animals. People have literally been killed by black friday shoppers knocking them down and trampling ontop of them.

All for a few bucks off some crap that they really don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    Where I live alot of the stores are starting their Black Friday event on Thursday around 8pm, don't even get to make it through Thanksgiving anymore.
    Yeah, that's pissing off a lot of workers, too.

Here in this state at least I saw some signs in stores stating that due to state law they can't be opening until 1 AM Friday. I believe the workers can't even legally enter the store until midnight. One of the very rare times this state shows any bit of the slightest amount of sense in their laws.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    i don't really see the point. why do stores do this? having middle-level price reductions in the long term for more customers just seems like the better business model.
    That's what pretty much every store does here. There are always sales on, sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. It fluctuates. They have bigger sales on certain days but never anything as crazy as black Friday is in America.

If you go to the store on a day like boxing day, it's going to be busier than normal and some good sales but that's about it, no crazy rushing around or camping out.

O.T
    Do these people not have jobs? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Do these people not have jobs? o.O
    Nothing like spending government money on big screen TVs for some people.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Did you ever stop to think that a lot of people take off Thanksgiving week?
    I don't see how that's any better.... *goes to boss* "Can I take a week out of my vacation time to sit in front of a store to save $100 when I could make quadruple that by just coming to work?"
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Just watch Deals forums if you want something. We needed a new TV, I waited a couple months and watched forums and picked up a 42" Plasma for $230 after a clearance at Best Buy combined with the 15% off for display models.
    Got any reccomendations on some good deals forums? I could use some relatively inexpensive consumer goods.

I work at a Best Buy in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I have to sell on Friday, which while I don't mind it means I have to go up to my store at 10:00 a night and get ready... Ugh, Why don't people just come in today or tomorrow I mean its not like we don't already have 51 inch TVs on sell for $477..

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best part is the fact that recent trends indicate businesses aren't really dropping their prices anymore for Black Friday, instead the drop in prices are coming much sooner (around Halloween).

All I can say is for electronics, if you wanna save money, just buy the next best thing online (As inn the model of w/e TV etc that has just been replaced by a newere model). I'm sure every country has sites that can do scans on the web for the cheapest site. Like Pricerunner, guess every country has sites like that?

Atleast thats what I do Especially for Computers and whatnot. Let a new thing come on the market, wait 2-3 months, buy the now outdated model. On sites like edbpriser.dk, witch is danish site for most electronics, you even get nice graphs to see how the prices moved over last many months and so on.

Well thats just my consumer knowledge on how to save money :&
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I'm not sure if you are aware but people on Black friday act like crazed animals. People have literally been killed by black friday shoppers knocking them down and trampling ontop of them.

All for a few bucks off some crap that they really don't need.
    This is true, but you have to understand those events are the exception...not the norm. There are literally thousands of Black Fridays stores with sales. MOST of those are civilized and festive affairs. You can't base your oppinions on what you see on the news. All you see are the people getting trampled. No news channel is going to run pieces on black friday shoppers acting like normal human beings resulting in a non event.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!