Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Somewhat in their defense, the SEC commissioner was the one who said that they should move to a 4-8 team playoff about 5 years ago. He was laughed out of the room by the Big 10 commissioner and others who die hard support the BCS bowls (who more than likely line their pockets with millions of dollars). I don't think the SEC is as good as advertised in most years as they play teams without offenses for most of the year which inflates their defensive stats and most of the time none of them play difficult out of conference games like you said (Bama played Michigan who was supposed to not be terrible and LSU did play Oregon last year but every other game is against a local directional school).
    But people keep saying that like every other conference plays tough out-of-conference games. They don't.

Oregon: no ranked OOC teams
    Kansas State: no ranked OOC teams
    Texas Tech: No ranked OOC teams
    Nebraska: no ranked OOC teams
    Clemson: South Carolina but it's a rivalry game
    FSU: Florida but rivalry game

So the only two ranked relevant teams that played ranked OOC teams:

UCLA: played Nebraska
    Michigan: played Alabama

Not counting Notre Dame, because they're such an odd duck out. They don't belong to a conference, so it's really hard to praise a bunch of other teams that lost to them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone mention the Big 10 is likely going to add Maryland and Rutgers this week? Pretty psyched about that if for no other reason than getting to see Maryland's wacky uniforms and having another good Big 10 basketball team. The Big 10 will have 14 teams which makes total sense. Footprint will be expanded to the New York and New England areas which is fantastic for making money. Poor ACC, you dying bro. If FSU ends up leaving for the SEC or Big 12 as many think they will, that should be the final nail in the coffin for that conference being considered relevant. Then we can start to shift to the Pac 12, SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 16 team super conferences and a 4-8 team playoff featuring each of their champions as god intended.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    BCS just came out.
    ND no1 Bama no2 Georgia no3 Florida no4 Oregon no5 lulz

lol, so UGA is #3 even though they have ONE WIN VS FBS teams with a .500 or better record

what's the difference in UGA and louisville? well, louisville has 2 wins against FBS teams with a .500 or better record.

what a joke lol. you know WHY UGA is ranked #3 now?

because no matter what happens in the SECCG an SEC team is playing for a title. this is just like last year when they bumped ark and bama to #2 and #3

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 08:16 PM ----------

Somewhat in their defense, the SEC commissioner was the one who said that they should move to a 4-8 team playoff about 5 years ago. He was laughed out of the room by the Big 10 commissioner and others who die hard support the BCS bowls (who more than likely line their pockets with millions of dollars). I don't think the SEC is as good as advertised in most years as they play teams without offenses for most of the year which inflates their defensive stats and most of the time none of them play difficult out of conference games like you said (Bama played Michigan who was supposed to not be terrible and LSU did play Oregon last year but every other game is against a local directional school).
    they want to move to a 4 team playoff because it means more money

that's why they pushed so hard to allow the top teams and not the top team from each major conference or whatever. right now they'd have 2 of the 4 teams in

last year they'd have 2 of the 4 teams in

that's a lot of money
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-11-19 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bama played Michigan who was supposed to not be terrible and LSU did play Oregon last year but every other game is against a local directional school.
    No idea why people say that Michigan is bad. They lost to the best team in the nation and barely lost to Notre Dame. So they only really lost one game they were expected to win, Nebraska. So they lost to current #1, #2, and #14. Terrible?

When you play in the SEC the last thing you want is to worry about is non-conference games. You already play plenty of good teams. However, I like how Bama has been playing good out of conference opponents as first games of the season. Fans want to play teams they rarely see. We played Clemson, Va Tech, Penn St., FSU, and tried to get ND. So please stop this "no hard non-conference games" nonsense. Sure there are cupcakes too, but we do not have as many cupcakes in house like every other conference, so we have to get them outside.

People forget that Arkansas was ranked #10 at the start too. Bobby P. did not get fired until after schedules were made. That did not change the talent Arkansas had, which is why they were #10 instead of top 5. Shows how much of a difference a coach can make.
    I like sandwiches

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    That's the problem with college football, rankings are primarily decided by popular vote rather than competition. You get teams like Florida and LSU who shouldnt be ranked at all because they squeak out games against nobodies, yet are still ranked in the top 5.
    That same critique could be said of ND.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    lol, so UGA is #3 even though they have ONE WIN VS FBS teams with a .500 or better record
    Actually, Vanderbilt is 7-4. I applaud you for trying though, and this is the ONLY time that I will agree with you. UGA is over ranked. We will gladly remove them from title contention for you.

However, at least the one team that beat UGA was good. So they do not have a loss to a speedbump school, like FSU...
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Actually, Vanderbilt is 7-4. I applaud you for trying though, and this is the ONLY time that I will agree with you. UGA is over ranked. We will gladly remove them from title contention for you.

However, at least the one team that beat UGA was good. So they do not have a loss to a speedbump school, like FSU...
    i missed vanderbilt

guess that means that louisville is an elite team or UGA isn't because jack shit separates them otherwise. UGA is overranked like EVERY SINGLE SEC TEAM IN THE COUNTRY

ESPN made a $2,000,000,000 investment in the SEC. it's just good business to protect that investment like they've done

you really think the SEC goes from winning 10% of the championships before the ESPN deal to 50% of them because of "talent"?

there is more parity than ever. there are MORE kids from the SE going to other places than there ever was. of course ESPN is making sure that business decision is profitable. but hey, you keep pulling for your conference instead of just your team.

i want you to watch that FSU vs. UF game this weekend. i want you to have excuses ready when FSU runs all over them and UF runs into the best defense they've seen all year and can't "ugly out" a win like they have in the SEC.

i fully expect you sec homers to have the excuses ready when FSU and clemson win this weekend. bring up those injuries, that's what i'd do
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-11-19 at 03:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

i fully expect you sec homers to have the excuses ready when FSU and clemson win this weekend. bring up those injuries, that's what i'd do
    No, FSU is going to stomp the dogshit out of Florida, because Florida has a young team who can't stay consistent to save their lives.

guess that means that louisville is an elite team or UGA isn't because jack shit separates them otherwise. UGA is overranked like EVERY SINGLE SEC TEAM IN THE COUNTRY
    Well, Lousiville is another anomaly, because they play in a fake BCS conference.

10+ Year Old Account

ESPN made a $2,000,000,000 investment in the SEC. it's just good business to protect that investment like they've done

you really think the SEC goes from winning 10% of the championships before the ESPN deal to 50% of them because of "talent"?

there is more parity than ever. there are MORE kids from the SE going to other places than there ever was. of course ESPN is making sure that business decision is profitable. but hey, you keep pulling for your conference instead of just your team.

i want you to watch that FSU vs. UF game this weekend. i want you to have excuses ready when FSU runs all over them and UF runs into the best defense they've seen all year and can't "ugly out" a win like they have in the SEC.

Louisville lost to Syracuse! If you take anything from this discussion, always look at the losses. Can't lose to mediocre at best teams.

OK, so how does CBS factor into that $2 billion? Sports network wants to show best games possible therefore locking down SEC? Preposterous!

10% of titles before BCS? Let's take a look at that. Tell me who was winning that other 90% that still matters:
    Princeton 28 1869,- 1950
    Yale 26 1872,- 1926
    Alabama 14 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011 [30][31]
    Michigan 11 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997 [32][33]
    Notre Dame 11 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977, 1988 [34]
    USC 11 1928, 1931, 1932, 1939, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978, 2003, 2004b [35]
    Pittsburgh 9 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976 [36]
    Harvard 7 1890, 1898, 1899, 1910, 1912, 1913, 1919 [37]
    Minnesota 7 1904, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960

We all know how tough the Ivy league is. Ballers.

As for FSU and Florida, I will have no excuses. FSU wins, they meet expectations. FSU loses, the season is a bust. Florida had a great season win or lose. They beat Texas A&M, Tennessee (who beat your nemesis, NC State), LSU, Vandy, and SC. They are much better than Georgia. Best 1 loss team in nation...that nobody expected to do much of anything this year. As opposed to FSU that a few called to win the national title and started out as ACC favorites.

Clemson struggled against Auburn. Nuff said. Personally, I like Clemson and have friends from there so I root for them in this series.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-19 at 05:12 AM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    The margin of victory in ND's wins was more relevant when there were other schools with the same record, if it were a school other than ND nobody would be howling about this, its bias and its dull, well, then again it makes it more interesting that they're in the thick of things, for the angrynerd raging. Plus the SEC schools are back in so even more foaming at the mouth from haters, the Matt Barkley injury stirs the pot even more.

My predictions after this week

NCG: ND vs. Georgia/Alabama
    Rose: Stanford/UCLA vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin
    Orange: Rutgers/Louisville vs. Florida State
    Fiesta: Kansas State vs. Oregon
    Sugar: Oklahoma vs. Florida if they beat FSU, if they don't then either Texas A&M or LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Louisville lost to Syracuse! If you take anything from this discussion, always look at the losses. Can't lose to mediocre at best teams.

OK, so how does CBS factor into that $2 billion? Sports network wants to show best games possible therefore locking down SEC? Preposterous!

10% of titles before BCS? Let's take a look at that. Tell me who was winning that other 90% that still matters:
    Princeton 28 1869,- 1950
    Yale 26 1872,- 1926
    Alabama 14 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011 [30][31]
    Michigan 11 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997 [32][33]
    Notre Dame 11 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977, 1988 [34]
    USC 11 1928, 1931, 1932, 1939, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978, 2003, 2004b [35]
    Pittsburgh 9 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976 [36]
    Harvard 7 1890, 1898, 1899, 1910, 1912, 1913, 1919 [37]
    Minnesota 7 1904, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960

We all know how tough the Ivy league is. Ballers.

As for FSU and Florida, I will have no excuses. FSU wins, they meet expectations. FSU loses, the season is a bust. Florida had a great season win or lose. They beat Texas A&M, Tennessee (who beat your nemesis, NC State), LSU, Vandy, and SC. They are much better than Georgia. Best 1 loss team in nation...that nobody expected to do much of anything this year. As opposed to FSU that a few called to win the national title and started out as ACC favorites.

Clemson struggled against Auburn. Nuff said. Personally, I like Clemson and have friends from there so I root for them in this series.
    i hate to break it to you, but syracuse can play with anyone. they're 6-5 since they beat an SEC TEAM saturday, bowl eligible and played a tough schedule. louisville isn't a great team, my point was, UGA isn't either. UGA isn't a top 10 team. somewhere between 10-15 would be about right

but the ideal situation is a primetime matchup of #2 vs #3 for the SEC and NC bid, bama wins, bama plays ND for the NC

ND has to beat USC without barkley. that's pretty much done. that defense they have is elite and while the offense has issues, it's got a ton of talent and USC doesn't play d

then for a month we'll hear about 2 old powerhouses going at it. ND vs bama is about the best matchup the media could imagine at the start of the year. all the other 1 loss teams will just have to win their bowl games and have 12 win seasons to hopefully put them in the top 10 next year, assuming they don't rank the whole SEC 1-14, which is a possibility.

amazing how you can't figure out what they're doing this year even though the same fucking thing was done last year. bama gets whipped AT HOME JUST LIKE THIS YEAR, they fall fewer spots than ANYONE did all year long after a loss, they get pushed up when anyone else loses along with another SEC team to ensure SEC rep in the NC

what's funny is this year the SEC is probably going to lose and i'll have to hear about how great ND is when pittsburgh did their damndest to give them a game

a 13-0 NC season for ND will make them relevant for the next 40 years. i'd rather 'bama win but then we'll have to hear how great the SEC is even though that isn't reality.

a&m is playing better than anyone from the SEC right now.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No, FSU is going to stomp the dogshit out of Florida, because Florida has a young team who can't stay consistent to save their lives.

Well, Lousiville is another anomaly, because they play in a fake BCS conference.
    fake BCS conference that has a winning record vs the SEC
    didn't syracuse just beat missouri lol
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-11-19 at 09:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Missouri just landed in the SEC I wouldn't just yet call them a full blown SEC team for a couple of years. The ACC and the Big East are junk without any good teams at all I mean at least the Pac10/12 has Oregon,Stanford,and USC thou I think when Harbaugh's players leave in a couple years Stanford will be shit again.

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate to break it to you, but syracuse can play with anyone. they're 6-5 since they beat an SEC TEAM saturday, bowl eligible and played a tough schedule. louisville isn't a great team, my point was, UGA isn't either. UGA isn't a top 10 team. somewhere between 10-15 would be about right

fake BCS conference that has a winning record vs the SEC
    didn't syracuse just beat missouri lol
    There is seriously nothing else to say there but "lol Missouri". Am I giving Tennessee credit for beating NC State? No, because Tennessee is still worthless (and just lost their head coach too). I will give you this. Syracuse is probably better than their schedule. All their loses are close, except for USC back when they still thought they were good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maryland now officially a Big 10 school in 2014-15. Rutgers could make their announcement official tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maryland now officially a Big 10 school in 2014-15. Rutgers could make their announcement official tomorrow.
    If Rutgers goes, the Big East is down to seven teams (plus TCU next year?). Really think they should just kill it off.

15+ Year Old Account
    If Rutgers goes, the Big East is down to seven teams (plus TCU next year?). Really think they should just kill it off.
    The team expected to replace Maryland in the ACC is UConn, so there goes another Big East team lol. What a total joke of a conference lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it seemed inevitable. I understand why it went down, but I still don't like it. (Change = bad!)

Did someone replace Jim Delany with an alien clone or something? Seems like yesterday that he swore up and down he was more interested in preserving historical traditions, and that we didn't need all these newfangled shiny things like a conference championship game or a playoff. Now he's committed to stretching the footprint, and might not be finished yet... if I see Kansas and Georgia Tech gain membership, I'm going to have an aneurysm.

LOL FSwho? They have no chance this weekend. They can't handle Florida's D.