Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Yes yes yes, and its still the fastest selling PC game of all time and one of the most popular and played online games on the PC at the moment.

So all in all a great success.
    So it was the fastest selling game who cares? Hardly anyone plays it anymore. A great game keeps people playing for months if not years. Diablo 3 was the same as SW:ToR. Lots of initial sales but once people saw all the bugs and how horrible the game was they quit. Look through this post and how many people picked Diablo 3. Go read the offical forums a few months back at how angry everyone was. There was like a 25 page post titled "What did you spend your RMAH earnings on" 90% of the answers were "I bought GW2" Does that sound like people who were happy with the game?

The fact that Diablo 3 sold so many copies yet so few still play it is why its such an obvious flop. If it was a success why doesnt it have 8-9 million people still logging in like WoW does?

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I am not saying D3 is a new WOW, but all am I saying: play the damned thing before repeating what noob kids copycat/cry from the internet (like the OP just did).
    I played the game at launch.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2012-11-19 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am adding a 2 games that arent out yet:

Top-- star wars duh
    Second-- Generals 2 (not out yet)
    Third-- Red alert 4 (made by activison-- OH GOD)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    Warhammer: age of Reckoning
    Clayfighter 63 1/3 - that game killed my christmas
    Fallout 3 - the game itself is good, but i got a cut version (german child protection bullshit laws, game rated 18+, still cut)
    Imo, WAR was a great game. Just Mythic fucked it up by not applying new patched e.t.c. If they were treating it like Blizz did with WoW, it would never fail so hard...

Personal view of course (not going by sales...)
    1) Duke nukem forever... I mean, I even expected crap, but this was such a sloppy piece of junk... DNF just shortens your life.
    2) D3... played it a lot until I realized I never had fun and never felt excited over the story... huge huge letdown considering the legacy of Diablo
    3) Starcraft 2... less replayability than police quest...
    BONUS STAGE!
    4) Practically every game released the last 6 years have been a letdown, except minecraft... I blame a general decline in technlogy and innovation, I feel like we live in the dark ages of the interwebz!

10+ Year Old Account
    i enjoy warhammer >.<

also tiberium twilight...trying to expand the rts to a larger audience...was terrible

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Who could possibly think Final Fantasy X was a disaster?
    Certainly not SE, FFX is the second most sold FF if I recall.

My failure games:

-Diablo 3 (no rpg, the story is very predictible, no pvp, AH, and anothers points)
    -Lord of the rings: Conquest (i love lord of the rings but this game... the heroes and the units are the same -_-)
    -WoW Cataclysm (50/50, good content (concept arts, ideas) delete and dragon soul is so bad: bosses lore 0, 0 new models, etc)

In response about Diablo 3.

Who cares?
    Hardly Anybody plays it anymore
    I bet you played a demon hunter.

These kind of responses to Diablo 3 are nothing of any value. If you must know I beat Diablo 3 playing alongside a good friend of mine, we beat it before the nerf, I played a Barbarion and he played a Witch Doctor, we then beat it with Demon Hunter/Monk and Barbarion/Monk combinations. The only class I didnt play was the Wizard.

A massive ammount of people still play Diablo 3, that is obviously nowhere near as many people as at launch, welcome to the world of gaming. This is a thread about the top 3 failures of games and you're arguing about one of the most succesful and popular online PC games currently being played, the fastest selling PC game of all time.

You can't argue success by spouting nonsense just because you didn't like the game. This thread is just a bunch of people spouting bullshit about games they were let down by or got fed up with, it's ridiculous.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

1. Might and Magic IX. 3DO was on the edge of bankrupcy after not so successful MM 8, and their release of alpha version of new MM didn't help them either.
    2. Diablo III. Heavy on DRM, RMAH-oriented single-player game with heavily unstable game systems. Mass exodus of people after 1st month.
    3. Alganon. Smells a lot like copy-pasted WoW engine with little to no content. MMO with few active players (few, as in: 5-10).
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2012-11-19 at 11:29 PM.

TOP 3 biggest game failures in my eyes were probably:

1. Diablo 3 - due to it being a short, dumbed down and literally BORING version of Diablo 2. It spit in everything that made Diablo as a franchise great - the expansive exploration and treasure finding aspect; the sense of grit and terror that the previous games have been all about (the cartoon-ish art style proved that it just doesn't work in that particular universe). Oh, and of course, the AH for reasons we all know and hate.

2. COD / Battlefield and their clones - I really enjoyed the first 2 Call of Duty games... even Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. They were fresh, interesting and imaginative take on war and had contributed to popularizing the FPS genre. However, everything changed once Activision decided to apply EA's logic to making a sequel on a yearly basis, hence MW1,2,3... infinity. It is the same bloody game with re-skinned models, weapons and locations. Forget graphics, the gameplay is the same! Nothing changes over a course of one, fucking, year! And people still buy it... that's sums up the whole thing in this particular part of the gaming world.

3. NFS after Most Wanted (the original) - I don't really get all the hate between the Forza and Gran Turismo fans since I've played NFS all my life and I still love it. Though lately, EA ruined the franchise with bombastic failures like, well, everything after Most Wanted (the latest Most Wanted and that god awful The Run). Why can't they seem to grasp the simple concept of making a bigger, better Most Wanted where players can race, customize their rides and be chased by the police in a sprawling open-world city is beyond me. It worked 7 years ago, it will fucking work now if they did it. God, do they really need something so obvious to be laid before their eyes and then glued to their face. No wonder the franchise has been so diminished.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    4) Practically every game released the last 6 years have been a letdown, except minecraft... I blame a general decline in technlogy and innovation, I feel like we live in the dark ages of the interwebz!
    Yes and no. People expect so much from video games nowadays that the industry simply can't keep up. Gamers have been spoiled rotten and learned to have very high demands regardless that games that actually come close to meeting most of these demands are extremely rare.

Final Fantasy XIII... the combat gameplay is... stupid as hell, and boring. All I did was spam one button and win.. I don't know. I prefer ATB instead of that crock of shit.

Duke Nukem Forever.. the game was really bad. Something a studio easily could dish up in a years time.. maybe less. Shows they didn't work shit on it.

I can't really think of other games that were failures in my eyes.

Also, D3 has become a great game, and I play it on and off right now. Enjoying it much more than Inferno at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by vryer View Post
    Final Fantasy XIII... the combat gameplay is... stupid as hell, and boring. All I did was spam one button and win.. I don't know. I prefer ATB instead of that crock of shit.

Duke Nukem Forever.. the game was really bad. Something a studio easily could dish up in a years time.. maybe less. Shows they didn't work shit on it.

I can't really think of other games that were failures in my eyes.

Also, D3 has become a great game, and I play it on and off right now. Enjoying it much more than Inferno at launch.
    TY, at least you know what you talk about, the rest is not even aware how good Diablo 3 patch 1.05 really is and just make copycat forum posts from OLD, very OLD news... Even Paragon levels are now secondary to this new MP play.

They have no clue about MP(0-10) choices of play, the new quest systems, the new über bosses, the bound on account rings.

It is like saying: we don't like MoP because we played WOW 8 years ago for 3 weeks...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-19 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    APB, unfortunally. I personally adored the game, but it just flopped so hard.

FF14, COPY PASTA'd! Keen for 14.5 though.

SWTOR, in a way. Sure it failed on the subscription stuff, but it still has brilliant stories.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Yes and no. People expect so much from video games nowadays that the industry simply can't keep up. Gamers have been spoiled rotten and learned to have very high demands regardless that games that actually come close to meeting most of these demands are extremely rare.
    It's more like... game industry BELIEVE that we demand so much, so they only focus on looks and then the time and money are gone, and you need a $2000 computer just to render the game. For example take any FPS... enemy unit AI is more or less the same as it was in Quake 1! I'd love some real AI that is self learning, strategy games with dynamic tech trees, RPGs with fully generated dungeons and world with destruction and erosion... (ooh here is minecraft, almost).

Amazed to see so many SWTOR complaints. I didn't play the thing, so I refrained from expressing any opinion on it. I do know that the game was not doing well at all from the news, but if this post is any indication, it let more people down than Diablo 3 has. How depressing. =(

FFXIV was such a failure that they fired the original team for it and are still working on making 2.0
    D3 - lol no comment
    as for my 3rd? Duke Nukem Forever seems about right. 10 years of waiting to literally play it for about 10minutes and shelve it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    You couldnt beat act 1 unless you had gear from Acts 3/4 which you couldnt afford because you were stuck in Act 1 because you couldnt kill anything to progress without better gear.
    I feel sorry for the people who think this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I remember reading an article in Retro Gamer about ET, and it was pretty fair to all accounts about the whole thing. They were , however, very scathing about the game, as it was an absolute bug ridden mess, with little or no playability, gameplay, or...well..anything to do really. Bear in mind the Atari 2600 also had some great games out at the time like River Raid and Pitfall, and it really was a mess. It was literally riding on the coattails of the film and didn't offer anything as such as a game.
    Also, whilst they produced a lot of copies, and sold a few, many were returned, and at one point, the games retail price of $49.99 was discounted to under $1 in some stores. Ataro also spent like $125million dollars on it's production and licence, without even having the slightest of plans, just "Get the licence, make any old shitty game, parent's will buy it".
    All in all, it was a terrible business decision that along with Pacman, nearly killed off the whole fledgling video games market before it even got going. Stores refused to even stock video game systems and many considered the craze *over*.
    I think that does classify as a pretty definitive *failure* as a game :P Both critical and commercial losses, along with causing nearly a whole industry to fall apart

(on a side note, I actually think the game is kinda...*fun* in a turdy "omfg it's so bad" kinda way )
    guy had what, 3 or 4 months to make it? they sold less than half their copies, but created something like 4,000,000 copies

gaming back then wasn't like it is now. the 1.5 million it sold was more than enough in a normal situation. atari's failure is being attributed to 'a bad game' when it was really just atari fucking everything up from start to finish and then having to blame something.

game is simple, no doubt, and not something i want to go play right now but back then it wasn't a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Amazed to see so many SWTOR complaints. I didn't play the thing, so I refrained from expressing any opinion on it. I do know that the game was not doing well at all from the news, but if this post is any indication, it let more people down than Diablo 3 has. How depressing. =(
    The problem with SWTOR was very simple. They thought NPC talkin was the Holy Grail for on line games.

While the only thing that matters in an MMORPG is the voices of people who pat you on the shoulders saying "We did it man, we downed that boss finally ..."

Tx to SW TOR we were saddled with talking NPC potatoes all over the place, from D3 to Mop to GW2.

No need: talking NPC's are a nuissance in on line games;

Period.