WD Red drives in a non-NAS setup

Western Digital's Red line has intrigued me because of its TLER support in a relatively low priced hard drive. My current setup has no data redundancy, and I've just been waiting for my 2TB Hitachi Deathstar to randomly take a dump on me, so I've decided to build a home server / future Folder of sorts.

High failure rates on Newegg notwithstanding, I've heard that WD doesn't support the drives if they're not being used in a NAS. Not a big deal. However, the language WD uses for not supporting them when not in a NAS is that a regular old RAID array accesses it differently or gives higher power to the drives or some other garbage. I feel this is indeed bullcrap, but I just wanted to hear from anyone who has these drives in a non-NAS RAID setup. Thoughts?
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Western Digital's Red line has intrigued me because of its TLER support in a relatively low priced hard drive. My current setup has no data redundancy, and I've just been waiting for my 2TB Hitachi Deathstar to randomly take a dump on me, so I've decided to build a home server / future Folder of sorts.

High failure rates on Newegg notwithstanding, I've heard that WD doesn't support the drives if they're not being used in a NAS. Not a big deal. However, the language WD uses for not supporting them when not in a NAS is that a regular old RAID array accesses it differently or gives higher power to the drives or some other garbage. I feel this is indeed bullcrap, but I just wanted to hear from anyone who has these drives in a non-NAS RAID setup. Thoughts?
    Outside of a NAS you'd use Green's, the reds are very similar but again a NAS and or SERVER running server OS donot operate the same as a htpc, desktop, etc etc. Why would any company support you using something in a way not intended? The difference is CPU's which are unlocked obviously you should be given some O.C protection which intel now supports.

I was planning on dropping Win7 onto the machine and use the drives in a hardware RAID. I would most certainly not use Green drives for the occasion due to head parking and no TLER.
    Super casual.