Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Have you tried walking while on a proto-drake? They use their wings as front "legs". They even sit/stand with their wings on the ground like arms. And wings make for terrible running apendages with rear legs as long as the proto-drakes have them.
    Yes, thus why I said "balance". They use them to help balance the heavy load of the front head when standing or moving slowly.

However, running is the main form of movement, which they don't use the wings at all because the wings are not actually legs. On a wyvern, the wings ARE LEGS. They use them for all movement either flying or running on all fours.

Deleted
    Wyvern don't run with their wings as that's physically impossible

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No, Wyvern are physically impossible. You all keep talking about these things like they exist somewhere and so the digital version Blizzard created should look like the real thing. There is no real thing.

The absurdity of you questioning the fact that one person's make believe animal looks different than your make believe animal with the same name boggles the mind.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-11-20 at 05:09 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Except their orcs do resemble physically the same as their myth counterparts...
    What myth? Tolkien invented orcs.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    What myth? Tolkien invented orcs.
    Not... Entirely.
    But orcs as we know them: Yups, Tolkien pretty much invented them. See my previous post, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW wyverns resemble some sort of manticore-hybrid more than anything else, but after staring at big floppy scorpion tails undulating in the wind for 8 years, I've learned to let it go... kind of.

10+ Year Old Account

OP...This is a white dragon.

So I say to you...what's in a name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when do things in games -HAVE- to look alot a like mytological/real things? The devs can take a, I don't know... A dog (just from the top of my head) add armour, two tails, fire spewing from it's mouth and call it a War-beast if they really wanted to.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Some do, as it's a creature of myth and can do pretty much anything it wants based on who wrote about it.

That's the crux of the whole thing, all these creatures don't exist, so they are named and interpreted by the creators. To me, a wyvern was always a "dragon" with it's front legs having wings, allowing it to run or fly with them. That was until I started playing WoW, in which the name has become pretty much partnered with the Windriders. It's why in WoW we have Kobolds as rat people rather then really small lizard people. Looking up google, I see many version of the wyvern are closer to the proto-drake in that the wings are still back centric, but that was not the wyvern I was even used to originally, implying how different the interpretation can be based on who writes about it.

It's not like this is unique to WoW even. Did you know that the original term "Gnoll" was a mix between a gnome and a troll? It was later in common fantasy they became hyena men, which has now become the more common look for Gnoll's.

It's why in WoW we have Kobolds as rat people rather then really small lizard people.
    And they're only small lizard people in the Dungeons and Dragons games. Kobolds in mythology and folklore are a completely different thing.

Didn't read through all of the thread looking for this, but WoW's wyverns are actually manticores.

Edit:

Fun fact: Orcs are actually pig people!

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Fun fact: Orcs are actually pig people!
    Again: Only in Dungeons and Dragons...

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Again: Only in Dungeons and Dragons...
    Incorrect. Perhaps you should do some research first.

They were originally wind riders in wc3, during one patch I remember the name got changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taygete View Post
    So compare that picture to what he was talking about, which is this:

Right??
    We're actually getting both. The upper one as a new mount, possibly store bought, that comes in 5.1.
    They also get spelled Kirin sometimes.

Also keep in mind that Quilen are considered dogs, so they don't neatly fit with either of those images anyway. They are clearly based on the lions, but they are not them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post

OP...This is a white dragon.

So I say to you...what's in a name?
    What a nice cat. *throws fish to distract Nall* *snickers*

Bats, when they find themselves grounded, walk with a quadrupedal gait. In all winged vertebrates, the wings are just forelegs with extra flaps and control surfaces stuck on. In bat wings in particular, such as the ones on dragons and wyverns, the elbow, wrist and hand are all clearly defined. The 'ribs' that define the wing's shape are extended, webbed fingers, and most typically there is a vestigal short finger on the hand that aids in grasping and ground-based locomotion.

It's just funny that of all the physically impossible things you could have chosen to comment on, like the fact that even without plate armor and a 300 pound cow-man riding side-saddle the damn thing wouldn't be able to fly anyway, you picked one of the few traits that are at least plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Incorrect. Perhaps you should do some research first.
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's like calling a kodo a unicorn
    The horror i imagined...

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What would you call them? They need some name. I don't think the orcs were looking at some RPG book to name them back in the day.
    manticores
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

wc wyverns are manticores tbh