Poll: How much longer for the human species?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Question When do you think the human species will go extinct?

It's not a matter of question, if it will happen... but when. There are so many possible global destruction that could literally happen any second and it's happened many times already. Definitely not science-fiction anymore. Some possibilities include: nuclear war, super volcano (anytime now yellowstone...), gamma ray burst, starvation, aliens, global warming, solar flare, supernova, asteroid, rogue black hole, artificial intelligence revolution, biotech disaster, magnetical reversal/spinning off axis, worldwide colony collapse (honeybees), deadly plague, mass insanity, and the list goes on.

So... when is it our time?

Let me remind you we've only been on this earth for a very small fraction of its time here.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-11-20 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think humanity will go extinct, and here's why.

By the time most of the things you listed could happen, I believe humanity will have found ways to travel interstellar distances in a relatively short period of time, and we will be sending out fleets of ships to either a) explore or b) colonize other worlds.

So, even if earth gets torn to pieces by something, or all its inhabitants die, some of humanity will remain, and thus re-populate.

We may become an endangered species, but ever extinct, humans are too stubborn for that.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly with how fucking retarded we are as a whole, im sure we'll be our own demise alot sooner than most people think.

I read somewhere recently the mayans got the date wrong - it's like 150 years after December 21st, 2012. Our transition into Aquarious I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post

By the time most of the things you listed could happen, I believe humanity will have found ways to travel interstellar distances in a relatively short period of time, and we will be sending out fleets of ships to either a) explore or b) colonize other worlds.

So, even if earth gets torn to pieces by something, or all its inhabitants die, some of humanity will remain, and thus re-populate.

We may become an endangered species, but ever extinct, humans are too stubborn for that.
    research the supervolcano under yellowstone. Erupts every 600,000 years or so and its overdue. It's not the explosion that could kill us all but how the smoke will cover there Earth for a couple of years which will lead to worldwide starvation. Plus the ash is toxic and has microscopic blades, so anyone breathing that in will burn to death from the inside out. Could happen before we are prepared.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-11-20 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    research the supervolcano under yellowstone.
    Research the phrase "Most of".

I'm entirely aware of what the supervolcano under yellowstone is and what it represents.

Assuming it actually happens, do I think it will kill a very large number of us? Yes.

Do I think it will end all human life on earth? No.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

I voted 'billions of years,' but that's not a really good one.
    To be honest, it is a very hard subject... Because what, exactly, constitutes 'going extinct?' At some point, homo sapiens will have disappeared, and it's quite likely that it never actually went extinct.

"Birds? I don't see birds... All I see in the sky is dinosaurs..."

Deleted
    1000 or so years, I don't have any confidence in our race's survivability!

Research the phrase "Most of".

I'm entirely aware of what the supervolcano under yellowstone is and what it represents.

Do I think it will kill a very large number of us? Yes.

Do I think it will end all human life on earth? No.
    We've never experienced a super volcano and looking back in history, when a super volcano did erupt, the types of species like us all went extinct.

In 1000 or so years I would say. I don't think we're going last that much longer.

Probably when the universe ends. I have faith that we'll eventually get off this planet before a catastrophic event.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Going extinct is a really ridiculous proposition. I mean, if there's a plague or something, there's always Madagascar to keep the race alive. We have more than enough people to create millions of sustainable genepools.

Our civilisations might die, which would be a big bummer, but homo sapiens would survive. I'm inclined to say the biggest threat to our species' existence is genetic modification turning homo sapiens into super sapiens or The Upload, and even then, tribal Africa would endure.

we will end, like any other species.
    and like any other empire. it will end.

the only question remains. how and when?

Technically the species Homo Sapien will go extinct. Either we all die or we evolve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would guess in the millions though it would be more accurate to say I think we will have evolved into something by then that is barely recognizable to us today. Even more than comparing "modern" man to monkeys. We might lose our technology or even our society but mankind has proved adaptable enough that, baring losing our atmosphere, we will survive in some shape or form.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

As soon as a barrier exists between breeding populations you can consider them effectively as two different species.
    gien suficant time and accumulated adaptation to diferent environments. something call a barrier emerges. distance being one form of pre zygotic barrier.

reference http://http://bio4esobil2009.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/prezygotic-and-postzygotic-reproductive-isolation/

the next reason humans will go extinct in the next 100 years or so is the inclusion of self replicating computers that exist inside all your cells. you inherit theses symbionts like you inherit mitochondria. from your mom. so, once humans integrate a some form of microprocessor into our physiology, we simply cease to be human. the old forms without integrated information processors will eventual cease to exist from competition.

humanity will not die out, a vasts majority will guaranteed. I don't think humans are ready to move from this planet anytime soon ( meaning next couple thousands years). Yes we have made underrepresented achievements in the past 50 years, but humanity as a whole is just way to ignorant at this point in time. A major event in the evolution of the human species will divide the weak from the strong. Sound familiar ? just how I see things
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine dying from some catastrophic illness. But if that doesnt happen in the next few thousand years i have faith we will be colonising other moons/planets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we'll go extinct, we may evolve into beings that only slightly resemble our current selves, but I don't think we'll go extinct.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    We've never experienced a super volcano and looking back in history, when a super volcano did erupt, the types of species like us all went extinct.
    Dude, there never was a species like us before on this planet.. Also, while a Yellowstone eruption would really suck for anyone near it (aka ALL Americans) the long-term effects on the entire world would be minimal. Yeah, it'll affect everyone somehow, certainly global economy but it won't kill us as a species.