Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I hate this economy

I'm a 23 year old college grad (associates degree) and current college student (went back just to do something). I went to my states university for two years and left because my family couldn't afford its tuition hikes and plus I was just an undecided. I've been in college since I was 19. After graduating high school I took sometime off and went back to my home state to visit family and friends I haven't seen since I moved to my current state. My last job was when I was in high school working at my local grocery store as a courtesy clerk making an awesome $5.50 an hour at the time.

So for these last five years I've had nothing but trouble finding work. It was either time constraints from being a full time student (five classes a semester. I practically was on campus from 7am till 7pm mon - fri) at my university for two years and employers around here wanting nothing but flexible employees or due to the economy crashing and no one was hiring in general unless you were over qualified to hard to pass up.

I remember when I was 20 my local hotel had a position open for a dishwasher. Figured why not and applied. When I went back to hand in the application the manager there instantly turned it around to look at my job history. When he noticed the last time I worked was, at the time, two and a half years ago he tossed my application into the trash.

A month ago I got called in for an interview at my local game store. It was a group interview and he really liked me. He focused on me the most and asked me the most questions. He turned me down because he was looking for someone to work the afternoon shifts, which I couldn't do since I had classes in the afternoon..

A week ago I applied at my local domino's. I filled out the application, did their online interview, and waited to see if they would call. They didn't call but instead sent me an email telling me polity, in context, I wasn't qualified enough. I sat here baffled. I'm a college student and apparently I'm not qualified enough to sprinkle cheese on a pizza or pick up a phone to take an order. I didn't know you had to be highly skilled to do that.

Now I sit here not knowing what to do. I see one of my old friend who has gotten fired twice this year keep getting new jobs instantly and I'm just baffled. I simply hate this economy.
    Last edited by muffinss; 2012-11-21 at 05:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is your degree in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    This may be nitpicky, but taking 5 classes a semester doesn't mean you can't work. I often took 18 credits (6 classes) in a semester and worked 30-40 hours a week while I was in college. Just keep applying places. Go into every restaurant you see and apply. Restaurants are good because waiters/bartenders make good money and the hours often work pretty well for college students.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Let me get this straight. You applied and/or worked at the following places:

grocery store
    game store
    domino's pizza

That's your problem. You're not motivated enough. Stop blaming your laziness on the economy and your school work. There are people who take way more classes (18 to 21 credits) than you do and still work 30 to 40 hours per week. You can't apply to three places and expect someone to hire you because you're in college / a college graduate.

If you really wanted a job, you would have applied to hundreds (yes, hundreds) of places and instead of sitting here whining you would be working. Stop being lazy and stop blaming it on the economy. It's obvious that you don't really want a job.

EDIT: TYPO

Dude you can get a job if you're really motivated.

Walmart
    McDonalds
    Burger King
    Any retail or restaurant.

If all else fails check out http://www.manpower.com and give them a call, they'll find something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post
    I got my degree in general applied science. Took classes to work in the IT field being a junior linux admin. Went back again for general networking and my cisco cert.
    in that case your simply not trying hard enough.... most Domino's have little use for a guy with a degree in General Applied Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Dude you can get a job if you're really motivated.
    That's his problem. He's not.

The last five months I applied for both my walmarts in my town twice. Even my local sams club. I've applied to so many places I literately have forgotten most that I have I applied to. My town surprisingly only has a couple of fast food joints and they rarely ever hire. When they do, its always high school kids. Both of sonic's are piratically ran by high school kids.
    The go to Manpower.

They'll hook you up with a job with exactly the hours you need. That's what they get paid (by the companies, not you) to do.

The last five months I applied for both my walmarts in my town twice. Even my local sams club. I've applied to so many places I literately have forgotten most that I have I applied to. My town surprisingly only has a couple of fast food joints and they rarely ever hire. When they do, its always high school kids. Both of sonic's are piratically ran by high school kids.
    Oh wow, both walmarts twice? That changes everything... /s

Seriously, apply to hundreds of places and come back to us. Also, when was the last time you applied somewhere? Last week? Last month?

I went through interview after interview after interview and filled out an unreasonable amount of job applications, but I got a job to help pay for school that didn't involve working at a fast food joint. If your wrist (or fingers) isn't sore from filling out applications, you haven't filled out enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    in that case your simply not trying hard enough.... most Domino's have little use for a guy with a degree in General Applied Science
    You don't even need a degree to work at Dominos.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    You don't even need a degree to work at Dominos.
    It's actually a disadvantage to have any kind of degree, or even be in school. Employers know that you see the job as only something to help get you by, and you have no intention of working there for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    It's actually a disadvantage to have any kind of degree, or even be in school. Employers know that you see the job as only something to help get you by, and you have no intention of working there for a long period of time.
    Yeah, I could easily see that happening.

Go for an A+ certificate.. If you are smart and study hard you get can those easily. With those you should be able to get most IT jobs (especially if you are willing to relocate)

Places are always hiring at least temp labor for the holidays (though its getting late for that if not already passed). Just go to the closest mall or shopping center and literally apply everywhere that will give you an application. I did that a year ago and out of ~15 apps I was able to snag 20 hours a week dishwashing at a bistro. Not saying it's glorious but when you're a student scraping by you can't really be picky, apply everywhere.

I had the same issue getting into work while I was at classes because of hours back in '08 though, I had to take a semester off in the spring to get a landscape job for 40h/wk, but then they kept me on part time when I went back to class through the summer and fall because I did good work. It might help to take a semester off and get your foot in the door somewhere and show yourself to be valuable, then you can maybe negotiate hours around your classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    I'm not sure how far away your local FedEx Ground station is, but they have several 4 hour shift times that may fit your life style. They have great upward mobility opportunities or they're great to just get money to pay the bills. Most facilities have 5pm-10pm and 2am-7am shifts. They're always looking for package handlers, especially this time of year. Good luck in your job hunt =)

I hate to say but it sounds like you may need to really relocate I hear North (or is it South?) Dakota that has the lowest unemployment rate. You might want to think about moving there.

I am not sure how you are approaching your interviews but you shouldn't appear like any kind of work is beneath you. Everyone nowadays starts working a crappy job. Gone are the days when you can expect a good paying job right out of college.

Oh and someone mentioned having a degree is going to work against you. Don't note it. Come up with a reason for what you have been doing since high school and play that in your interview.

Seriously though you are going to have to start getting creative because doing job applications in your home town isn't the only way to find a job. There are temp agencies and recruiters that can help you find a job. You gotta have all things going.

Another thing you should do is keep a journal of who you sent applications for, what position and when. When they call you up they're gonna expect you to know who they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    "When I grow up, I want to retire from Pizza Hut!"

-Nobody

10+ Year Old Account
    You can find a job if you try. It really isn't hard. They may not be the most glamorous jobs but hey, money is money.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my degree in general applied science. Took classes to work in the IT field being a junior linux admin. Went back again for general networking and my cisco cert.
    Apply for government IT jobs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.