Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

UN official calls for marijuana ballot rollback

Just found this little article:

VIENNA —
    The head of the U.N. drug watchdog agency is urging U.S. federal officials to challenge ballot measures in Colorado and Washington that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults 21 and over.

Raymond Yans says the approvals send "a wrong message to the rest of the nation and it sends a wrong message abroad."

Yans heads the International Narcotics Control Board. He told The Associated Press on Tuesday he hopes Attorney General Eric Holder "will take all the necessary measures" to ensure that marijuana possession and use remains illegal throughout the U.S.

Both states are holding off on plans to regulate and tax the drug while waiting to see whether the Justice Department will assert federal authority over drug law.

The INCB has no enforcement ability.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...ausstates.html
    How do you feel about the UN poking its nose into state affairs?

I honestly believe it is none of their business what happens in states.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-11-21 at 07:07 AM.

They're not poking their nose into anything. They're saying "hey you guys should do X". Which is totally fine.

He is commenting on recent events, also he is the head of UN drug watchdog agency which is kinda his job to be against all drug use. He doesn't have any authority to over turn the legislations, so no its no big deal, he is just against legalization of marijuana like the people who tried to vote against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They're not poking their nose into anything. They're saying "hey you guys should do X". Which is totally fine.
    Is that not getting into our business? They're directly asking the US to challenge a law that was put into place via the people's will. What's your definition of "poking their nose into"?

IDK, doing something that has more authority than a shoulder shrug? We're a member of the UN. I don't see why a comment on our drug policy by the head of the International Narcotics Control Board of an entity we're part of is some how out of line. Shit the US even helps elect the people on that board.

He is doing his job, no biggie. Agree with you that the US and/or the states in question should not listen to him though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the law just to make Medical marijuana legal? The actual full non medical drug law is a Federal law, don't think any state can make marijuana full legal.

Where's the Tea Baggers screaming about UN poking their ass into our dealings?

Oh, right, they're hypocrites.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

The comment is understandable given the nature of the organization. Still curious about how the justice department will handle the state-level legalization though.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Where's the Tea Baggers screaming about UN poking their ass into our dealings?

Oh, right, they're hypocrites.
    Right here.

But I also think that the Federal Gov has no authority to make any drug illegal, there is nothing in the Constitution giving them this power, and as such should be left to each individual state to decide on it's own. That is exactly what Colorado and Washington did.
    Last edited by SirPiken; 2012-11-21 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought anyone is allowed to suggest anything to anyone. Like i can take a random persone and offer him to kiss my butt, even though he'll most certanly offer me to kiss his butt instead. We both reject the offer and everybody's fine. Or he accepts... Whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, uh... Hey, surprise everybody! The UN doesn't know their heads from a hole in the ground once again!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Not sure how this guy speaks for anyone but his board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No it's not, because they can fuck off. None of their damn business.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Head of the UN group whose job is to be a puritanical hardass about drugs is being a puritanical hardass about drugs? Well color me shocked.

Breaking News: Water is Wet!
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Meh, they can talk all they want to, but ultimately it's none of their business. Hopefully the country will decriminalize all narcotics in the near future so we can stop spending at least a little of the money we waste policing the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    No it's not, because they can fuck off. None of their damn business.
    We're a member of the council that selects who operates the board he heads. I think the president of a board on drug policy is well within reason to comment and suggest action on drug policy in one of the nations that selected him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfish View Post
    Wasn't the law just to make Medical marijuana legal? The actual full non medical drug law is a Federal law, don't think any state can make marijuana full legal.
    It is fully legal in those 2 states under state law, meaning a federal law enforcement official can arrest you, but thats it. Also medical marijuana is legal in some states as well but is also illegal under federal law. I hope we start seeing some Republicans come out in favor of what this guy says. It'd be nice to throw states rights back in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yeah, uh... Hey, surprise everybody! The UN doesn't know their heads from a hole in the ground once again!
    USA is not only part of the UN, they're one of the founders.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Right here.

But I also think that the Federal Gov has no authority to make any drug illegal, there is nothing in the Constitution giving them this power, and as such should be left to each individual state to decide on it's own. That is exactly what Colorado and Washington did.
    I believe that if it's interstate (between 2 or more states) or international commerce, they can regulate it. But, if it's commerce entirely within the state, the Federal government should not be able to regulate it (although they'll likely try).

At least, that's what this lay person was lead to believe by teachers and the plain text of the Constitution.
    Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:
    [The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes;